Worst of U2 Album: Create your own

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The biggest mistake of U2's career was Larry's ill judged decision to 'put the wind' up Bono in Central Park. He didn't mean it to go that far!

1. The First Time
2. Grace
3. GOYB
4. Indian Summer Sky
5. Trip Through Your Wires
6. SUC
7. California
8. Sweetest Thing
9. MOS
10. In A Little While

Hell, put the entire album of NLOTH here for all I care!

:crack:

I know that this is all over the place but, trust me.

U2's Top 11 (s)hits on the Billboard Hot 100 Crap Chart (not counting cover versions, at which they're quite adept at butchering, or songs they never recorded):

Another Day
Things to Make and Do
Treasure (Whatever Happened to Pete the Chop)
Is That All?
Race Against Time
Salome
Miami
Miss Sarajevo (I dislike opera, generally, and I hate Pavarotti)
I'll Go Crazy if I Don't go Crazy Tonight (50 weeks at #1)
Get on Your Boots
Stand Up Comedy

How could we hate one of the few genuinely sexy songs U2 have ever done?
Maybe you're right. Trying to be objective about it, 'Salome' isn't bad but there's just some aesthetic quality about it that turns me off. (I also don't really like 'Fast Cars', which I find somewhat similar in mood or tone or something.) I think 'Salome' is one of the first tracks where U2 sound like they're trying to sound like something, rather than just being U2 (and that begins a slippery slope with 'Miami' and 'Stand-up Comedy' in the future).

I think maybe I perceive U2 as being quite bad at doing "sexy". Passionate and even sometimes sensuous ('All I Want is You'; 'If You Wear that Velvet Dress') yes, but sexy no.

I mean, you can only be so sexy when your guitarist is a cross between a medieval monk and a scientist.

You're not alone in your dislike of Salome.

For years I thought he was saying "salami", like the deli meat. I would listen and be like, it's a pretty decent song, good b-side, but how the fuck does salami fit into this???!?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

:ohmy:

xy2iMDD.gif

Maybe you're right. Trying to be objective about it, 'Salome' isn't bad but there's just some aesthetic quality about it that turns me off. (I also don't really like 'Fast Cars', which I find somewhat similar in mood or tone or something.) I think 'Salome' is one of the first tracks where U2 sound like they're trying to sound like something, rather than just being U2 (and that begins a slippery slope with 'Miami' and 'Stand-up Comedy' in the future).

I think maybe I perceive U2 as being quite bad at doing "sexy". Passionate and even sometimes sensuous ('All I Want is You'; 'If You Wear that Velvet Dress') yes, but sexy no.

I mean, you can only be so sexy when your guitarist is a cross between a medieval monk and a scientist.

Well to be fair, some people find medieval monk/scientists damned sexy. :shifty: But seriously, Salome is both very sexy and and very fun, especially Bono's delivery of "Baby please... don't bite your lip" ect. And I think it's not any more self conscious in sound than album tracks like Zoo Station or the Fly-- it's just not the sound they continued in so it sounds more out of place. I hear what you are saying about not liking the aesthetic, though among recent songs I think Lucifer's Hands is the one that most resembles the Hansa outtakes.

That really changes up the song if it's Bono talking about "shaking the salami".

Great, now I'm never going to be able to listen to that song again without hearing this. :angry:

The Salome Zooromancer mix is the single best dance song they've ever put out. Fact.

I would seriously lose it if they ever played this song live. The fucking roof would blow off the venue when that sub bass kicks in at 1:25 or so

1. city of blinding lights
2. all because of you
3. trip through your wires
4. last night on earth
5. original of the species
6. wild honey
7. another time another place
8. stranger in a strange land
9. is that all
10. 4th of july
11. peace on earth
12. grace

In order I suppose. Personally, I find very little from Boy to JT so utterly 'meh..' or 'wow, that's crap...' to line up along side SUCX in such a musical rogue's gallery, but mind you after that period things change.

The only reason I listed covers was to justify 'album status' to this godawful release and well, because they were a bit rubbish too...

Red Light
Drunk Chicken/America
When Love Comes To Town
Some Days Are Better Than Others
Wild Honey
Big Girls Are Best
Love & Peace Or Else
Window In The Skies
Get On Your Boots
Stand Up Comedy
Mercy [Live]
The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)