Worst 10 U2 songs of the decade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes, but do YOU like the song or not? I think the thread are about personal tastes and opinions,and not going with the facts (which in this case are true).

No I don't like the song. I already said that when I said 'its not a good lead single'.

I find the song extremely weak, it's a poor re-hash of vertigo with even poorer lyrics and less catchy

Mine are:
In no particular order,
Stuck In A Moment (hate it)
Grace
Wild Honey
When I Look At The world
one with mary j. blige
one step closer
crumbs from your table
Get on Your Boots
beautiful day (used to love it but heard it too often as the intro to match of the day)
miracle drug

i loved it when it first came out and still do :shrug:

i also still like boots. i'm of the opinion they could have just about released any song as the first single and the result would have been the same.

just the beauty of opinion i suppose.

Boots didn't kill the album. Lots of albums have had their first singles be duds, only to explode once a 2nd or 3rd single is released. If you're going to blame Boots, you have to blame Magnificent and Crazy Tonight as well.

Regardless, the song got a ton of airplay on rock and alt rock stations around here (Toronto area), and I still hear it played occasionally. The hatred certainly isn't universal.

1. Stuck in a Moment
2. Grace
3. The Hands that Built America
4. Love and Peace or Else
5. One w/ MJB
6. Elevation
7. Levitate
8. All Because of You
9. Stuck in a Moment (Acoustic Version)
10. The Saints are Coming

New York
The Hands that Built America
Grace
Crumbs
GOYB
Stand up Comedy
Elevation
All Because of You
Peace on Earth
Love and Peace

i loved it when it first came out and still do :shrug:

i also still like boots. i'm of the opinion they could have just about released any song as the first single and the result would have been the same.

just the beauty of opinion i suppose.

Same here, both on Miracle Drug and Boots. I do think it improved live with them taking out the Sexy boots bit tho. And it's still being played on radios here.

1. Grace
2. One Step Closer
3. The Saints Are Coming
4. The Hands That Built America
5. Unknown Caller
6. Stand Up Comedy
7. I'll Go Crazy
8. Breathe
9. Cedars Of Lebanon
10.Yahweh

I'm going to keep my list down to 5 in order to single out the truly cringeworthy from the tunes that were just meh.

A Man and A Woman
City of Blinding Lights (ducks rotten tomatoes)
I'll Go Crazy If I Can't Go Crazy Tonight
Yahweh
Window in the Skies

Let's see if I can make it to 10, after Boots/Grace/M. Drug, chronologically - the :shrug: songs

4. WILATW
5. AMAAW
6. The new One with MJB (for not making an effort and writing something new)
7. Wits
8. Linear Winter
9. ES
10. Saints are coming

Same here, both on Miracle Drug and Boots. I do think it improved live with them taking out the Sexy boots bit tho. And it's still being played on radios here.

Hmm... MOS is the only NLOTH song still played here.

1. Grace
2. Flower Child
[daylight]
3. All Because Of You
4. Cedars of Lebanon
5. One Step Closer
6. White As Snow
7. Crumbs From Your Table
8. Yahweh
9. Beautiful Ghost / Introduction To Songs Of Experience*
10. any U2/Mary J Blige collaboration (America's Song, One, Lean on Me)

* technically an 80's song but released in the 2000's and has 'some' new elements

1. Grace
2. Flower Child
[daylight]
3. All Because Of You
4. Cedars of Lebanon
5. One Step Closer
6. White As Snow
7. Crumbs From Your Table
8. Yahweh
9. Beautiful Ghost / Introduction To Songs Of Experience*
10. any U2/Mary J Blige collaboration (America's Song, One, Lean on Me)

* technically an 80's song but released in the 2000's and has 'some' new elements

u know noting about music

Nice well constructed insult, with solid arguments. Thanks for that. I'm guessing you're a relatively new fan (post ATYCLB?), likely Gen Y or Gen Now. Probably never bought or listened to a real vinyl album and don't listen to any music pre 2000. Am I close?

BTW...you know "nothing" about spelling.

One with MJB (gets the top spot because it's just so awful and she joined the band for One at my first U2 concert ever, which effectively destroyed my post-Streets rush)

Wild Honey
Grace
All Because of You
Miracle Drug
One Step Closer
Yahweh
Discotheque - the completely gutted version on the Best of 90-00
Big Girls Are Best
Are You Gonna Wait Forever?

You clearly know nothing about U2, having failed to understand the lyrics to "Grace" (which you lack) or "Yahweh".

And by the way, suggeting that someone's tastes about one pop band indicate a lack of knowledge about "music" is stunningly stupid.

Boots was a horrible song. Go on youtube and watch the offical video. You'll notice there's only 41 some ratings with almost 2 million views and only 20 or so comments. That doesn't seem right but it is.

Most people didn't know what the hell that song was.

The chorus is HORRIBLE. The lyrics suck and the song lacks energy. The song actually has energy right at the end of with Edge's guitar blast.

Now Im not hating on Mullen or Clayton, but when you want to have an explosive first single with a lot of energy its very difficult when you leave out the guitar in 50% of the song.

When Vertigo came out which is crap song too it did well because Edge was at the frontline meaning it was guitar driven. Its an all out rocker just like Elevation which did well. Seeing the pattern?

u2 is incredible as a whole and ive never seen a band that can work together in the studio and live together other than u2, but lets face it Edge defines the sound of u2.

I do agree, the guitar mix is way to far down on the album version.

That's why it's so much better live, it then just explodes with the let me in the sound part.

You clearly know nothing about U2, having failed to understand the lyrics to "Grace" (which you lack) or "Yahweh".

And by the way, suggeting that someone's tastes about one pop band indicate a lack of knowledge about "music" is stunningly stupid.

i got the feeling someone hacked macphisto's account... the macphistoPT i remember didn't ask to see tits.

Boots was a horrible song. Go on youtube and watch the offical video. You'll notice there's only 41 some ratings with almost 2 million views and only 20 or so comments. That doesn't seem right but it is.

Most people didn't know what the hell that song was.

The chorus is HORRIBLE. The lyrics suck and the song lacks energy. The song actually has energy right at the end of with Edge's guitar blast.

Now Im not hating on Mullen or Clayton, but when you want to have an explosive first single with a lot of energy its very difficult when you leave out the guitar in 50% of the song.

When Vertigo came out which is crap song too it did well because Edge was at the frontline meaning it was guitar driven. Its an all out rocker just like Elevation which did well. Seeing the pattern?

u2 is incredible as a whole and ive never seen a band that can work together in the studio and live together other than u2, but lets face it Edge defines the sound of u2.

Right on. "Boots" was just bloody awful - one of the bands worst songs and THE worst single they've ever released. If they had just scrapped that song completely from the album and released "Magnificent" instead the album would have had ten times the momentum. Can't believe after all these years the boys can be that stupid. Same goes for "Winter" - just dreadful.

I don't understand why people keep thinking Magnificent would've done so much better than Boots. Look at U2's popularity in todays' mainstream from the past two albums. The lead singles are the most popular ones, Beautiful Day and Vertigo. Both are uptempo rockers. Magnificent is too much a slow song to 'hit' it for a first single, it COULD've been a great 2nd single had the promotion not been shit and if it'd have been a better time. I love how a bunch of you Boots haters were SO convinced magnificent would totally go awesome in the charts. And now it failed you guys still manage to blame it on Boots? Pretty sad if you ask me. :huh:

I don't understand why people keep thinking Magnificent would've done so much better than Boots. Look at U2's popularity in todays' mainstream from the past two albums. The lead singles are the most popular ones, Beautiful Day and Vertigo. Both are uptempo rockers. Magnificent is too much a slow song to 'hit' it for a first single, it COULD've been a great 2nd single had the promotion not been shit and if it'd have been a better time. I love how a bunch of you Boots haters were SO convinced magnificent would totally go awesome in the charts. And now it failed you guys still manage to blame it on Boots? Pretty sad if you ask me. :huh:

Of course, we'll never know so we're just speculating. I do think that 'Magnificent' would have done a bit better business if it had come out before the album, since it's so much more tuneful and radio-friendly than 'Boots'. Having said that, I don't think it (or any song on NLOTH) could have been a big hit.

But the fact that 'Magnificent' failed to set the world on fire as a 2nd single does not mean that it wouldn't have changed the general perception of NLOTH -- it might have. The casual fans of U2 (who outnumber us on this forum by about 1000 to 1) take a lot of their cue from the first single. Look at how many threads today are still discussing U2's dressing up like the Village People in 1997! That first release/video/download/whatever sets a lot of the tone for the campaign that follows.

I do think that public in general is a bit tired of U2 at the moment, as they were in 1997. Of course they're going to sell-out concerts because who doesn't want to go and see them live rather than stay home for an evening? But as far as records/hits/singles go, I feel that anything U2-ish right now ('Magnificent' being the most U2-ish song on the album) is not going to excite people.

I actually blame the group for this. I think they were far too over-exposed in the interim between HTDAAB and NLOTH. Yes, there was a really long gap between records (which may have hurt them in another way), but in the meantime there were countless DVDs, re-issues, TV appearances, etc., etc. Sometimes, if you're going to take some time out, it's better to really disappear for a while and let people miss you. (That's kind of what happened in 1989 to 1991, for example -- well, in N. America anyway.)

A truely bad U2 song would be considered a so so song for any other artist out there.
That being said, please spare me from ever hearing "Wild Honey" and "Love You Like Mad" again.

Back
Top Bottom