Will we ever see an Achtung Baby documentary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Y2K

Refugee
I have to say, the more I read about the recording sessions for Achtung Baby and where some of the material came from, the more I'd love to see a documentary about the album's creation. I'm just fascinated with all the different factors that gave birth to the album and its sound. I have to think some video footage does exist - when they moved to Elsinore in Dublin, they set up recording studios on 2 floors of the mansion, each with cameras set up to document what was going on in each. Is anyone holding out hope that we may see a documentary when the inevitable 20th anniversary edition of the album is released?

Ignore the jerk response above. It's a good question, and yes I would love to see such a documentary. Back in the day, there was the popular "Interference from ZooTV" VHS release, which was great, but since it had none of the type of footage you're describing -- and since none has thus far popped up on YouTube -- I doubt there is any worth seeing. But if you're right about Elsinore, and there is, sign me up.

I really love the little Unforgettable Fire documentary because we do get to see "behind-the-scenes" stuff of the band with Eno and Lanois at work. There's actually a surprising amount of such stuff there for such a short doc, and it's quite revealing, I think. However, I think, after the band hit the big-time in 1987, they began to feel a bit 'embarassed' (maybe that's too strong a word) about their earlier records, and they also started becoming more self-conscious about what they put out. There's that Edge quote in U2 By U2 where he jokes that the band have a shared agreement to set fire to their collective rehearsal tapes if one of them goes down in an airplane crash or something (because they are so awful). I do think they are a bit careful about what pre-LP stuff gets out, and for this reason they might not want to see a doc released about the Achtung sessions... but, as I said -- if they do, it'd be great.

I have to say, the more I read about the recording sessions for Achtung Baby and where some of the material came from, the more I'd love to see a documentary about the album's creation. I'm just fascinated with all the different factors that gave birth to the album and its sound. I have to think some video footage does exist - when they moved to Elsinore in Dublin, they set up recording studios on 2 floors of the mansion, each with cameras set up to document what was going on in each. Is anyone holding out hope that we may see a documentary when the inevitable 20th anniversary edition of the album is released?

Around that time there used to be lots of Zoo TV/Achtung footage around, there must be loads they didn't use. Plus they had Bill Flannagan writing his magnificent book.
Perhaps one day he could do a documentary on the making of Achtung Baby a bit like the Classic Albums one on The Joshua Tree, I don't think anyone outside the band or Eno/Lanois/Flood could do a better documetary of those great recording sessions.

I have to think some video footage does exist - when they moved to Elsinore in Dublin, they set up recording studios on 2 floors of the mansion, each with cameras set up to document what was going on in each.

They did ?

The remaster would be a good opportunity, or if they do Classic albums episode for AB.

A Classic Albums: Achtung Baby or a similar feature for an Achtung Baby remastered set would be great. (You hear that U2 and management!) :wave::lol::D:hyper::applaud:

Achtung Baby was a difficult 'birth', particularly the time that they spent in Berlin. I would suspect that if they did ever put out a retrospective regarding Achtung Baby, it would contain more interviews from band and production staff from the here and now, and not have much if any footage from the actual recording sessions.

My guess would be that, it would be more like the Classic Albums: Joshua Tree than the Unforgettable Fire documentary.

haha. but in all seriousness, wasn't there one of those Classic Albums dvds for achtung? there's one for joshua tree, i have it, but i swear i've seen pictures of the achtung one, the cover is purple.

haha. but in all seriousness, wasn't there one of those Classic Albums dvds for achtung? there's one for joshua tree, i have it, but i swear i've seen pictures of the achtung one, the cover is purple.

I've seen that DVD around, but it's not official and I daresay it's as awful as all the other non-official dvd's knocking about.

The ZOOTV Interference VHS tape (minus the music videos) is actually an easter egg on the ZOOTV live from Sydney DVD. The only thing is that they altered it a little.

I would love one, but I feel like the chances are slim. Classic Albums is probably the best bet for something like that. I once emailed someone at the company that makes the Classic Albums series and asked if there were any plans to do an Achtung Baby episode. If I remember correctly (this was like...two years ago) they pretty much said there weren't plans for one at the time but that it's definitely on their list of albums they want to do.

I would love one, but I feel like the chances are slim. Classic Albums is probably the best bet for something like that. I once emailed someone at the company that makes the Classic Albums series and asked if there were any plans to do an Achtung Baby episode. If I remember correctly (this was like...two years ago) they pretty much said there weren't plans for one at the time but that it's definitely on their list of albums they want to do.

they've never doubled up for an artist though, i don't think.

You know... I've never even seen a photo of the Elsinore mansion. I don't even know what it looks like. :shrug:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom