Will Vertigo or Elevation be remembered?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
lets say 10 years from now when the best of the best is recalled, will Vertigo and Elevation be remembered as much as a quintissential U2 song?

Elevation is along with HMTMKMKM my favorite song in U2's catalogue. And my fav song of all time.

So I must say I hope so.

when vorst of the vorst is recalled, Elevation has a chance but best of the best, no.

Unlikely, though both should be remembered as two fun U2 songs that were fun live.

I think Vertigo will be better remembered more than Elevation. For many younger people, it defines U2.

I think Vertigo will be better remembered more than Elevation. For many younger people, it defines U2.

I agree. Vertigo was big and hooked a new audience. Elevation wasn't the lead single and didn't create as much noise. If people remember anything from that period it will be Beautiful Day, of course, and not Elevation.

By the public? Vertigo, maybe. Elevation, no.
By the band for a future best of? Vertigo, yes because it was a hit. Elevation, no.
By fans here? Vertigo, no for the most part. Elevation, no.

I think Boots has hurt Vertigo's place in the minds of fans and maybe the band. NLOTH could very well have the same effect on the rest of the band's albums and work in this decade.

Those of you who think Vertigo won't be remembered as an important song for U2 are three sheets to the wind. That song singlehandedly opened up U2 to a new generation, and allowed them to continue to ride a wave of success in a market dominated by teenagers and hip hop artists.

Elevation will be remembered because it is on one of the quintessential U2 albums. Vertigo not so much. and for the person who said Vertigo will be remembered more because the young people associate it with U2.... just remember, young people get older.

Ten years from now? Vertigo and Elevation are already forgotten except by hardcore U2 fans.

Both songs are totally unremarkable, though I'll concede that I do like the Influx mix of Elevation. But only people who really pay attention to all of U2's releases even know what that mix is.

I thought this was going to be a thread about the tours, in which case I would have said that Vertigo would be remembered better than Elevation. Simply because the two tours were so similar. And since the Vertigo tour happened more recently, I'd say it would be remembered. Plus it's legacy via the DVDs and U23D.

As songs? I think its no secret around here that I hope everyone forgets Elevation forever. I think this is likely. Vertigo will be remembered (especially by baseball fans) for being on the iPod commercial 14,056 x daily.

Vertigo will be remembered well. It is certainly much more well known within my demographic (teenagers) than anything else floating around on the charts. It helped greatly to usher in the era of legal music downloading, at least in the U.S.

Elevation... not so much. And Vertigo > Elevation, anyway.

which song is elevation again? whoooo ooooh something?:huh:

vertigo goes something like "hello hello, da na na na na na na, NA NA NA NA NA NA heart kneel soul something", right? :shrug:

I haven't even read the thread but saw the title and had to express my thoughts:

I sure hope the band forgets them!

As far as I'm concerned, I don't want to remember the studio version of Elevation. In my eyes, the canonical version of the song is the "Tomb Raider Mix" and that is what I will remember. I'm not sure it will be considered on of their best, but it certainly works as a live song.

Vertigo.... I think people will definitely remember it as being one of their most successful and popular songs. I would consider that to be fair, but I don't consider the song to be among their best.

At the Australian international and domestic Twenty20 cricket games, the grounds play song snippets during change of overs and between balls.

All summer U2 have been on the playlist - especially the Sydney grounds. In fact ANZ Stadium has been going U2 mad.

Anyway, the songs on the playlist are:

Desire
Beautiful Day
Elevation
Vertigo
Saints are Coming

Also, during the past few rugby league seasons a few of the grounds played Elevation over the PA and it's also been featured in TV broadcasts. The "wooo-hooo" part is frequently played when tries are scored.

So Australian sports are definitely doing their part to keep Elevation relevant. And both these sports have big national and international TV audiences.

As songs? I think its no secret around here that I hope everyone forgets Elevation forever. I think this is likely. Vertigo will be remembered (especially by baseball fans) for being on the iPod commercial 14,056 x daily.

You hit the hail on the head.

There's a difference between a respectable song and some mixture of sounds that only a jarhead drunk could like.

U2 used a lame trick to popularize Vertigo; you brainwash people enough and they'll love anything; Feist has become a huge star, though her songs are better than that crap Vertigo -- that shameless attempt at Americana; such a shameful song.

Vertigo yes, cause it was a big single. (I'm not talking about the real fans though).
Elevation, worse than Vertigo, only BD will be highly remembered.

GOYB kicks both song's asses!!!! (fans' wise)

And I don't give a damn if GOYB is not a big radio hit or adored by the general public, I would even love it more than a commercial radio-friendly song ala Stuck in a Moment...

I dont think either song will be recalled much outwith the u2 fanbase in 10 yrs. I really think everything since AB falls into that category. Songs Like SBS, NYD, WOWY,PRIDE, ONE will be regarded as classics by the average music fan.

I dont think either song will be recalled much outwith the u2 fanbase in 10 yrs. I really think everything since AB falls into that category. Songs Like SBS, NYD, WOWY,PRIDE, ONE will be regarded as classics by the average music fan.
yeah, personally I think that after Rattle & Hum the only 'new' U2 classics are One and Beautiful Day

Vertigo and Elevation were both awesome during the last 2 tours though

Back
Top Bottom