Will the next tour be in stadiums or arena's in the United States?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Living in Brazil, I really can't cheer for arenas, which is bad :sad:

I was thinking about the countries... I wonder if they'll visit more different countries this times, whithin a smaller tour...

And my biggest fear is about random tickets and/or contests in order to get into rail I think the queuing is a very fair way of getting into the front row. U2 did this before, and wasn't very well received

The Vancouver arena is called Save-On Arena? I'm assuming that's some sort of grocery chain?

I want Piggly Wiggly to shell out in some US city for naming rights.

Victoria is a beautiful city. I would love to spend a month rehearsing there if I were U2.

I remember clearly seeing the design of the claw even before the stage was being built. I remember that because we were trying to debunk the design , and understanding the meaning of "360". Don't know the time frame, but I'm pretty sure it was before May

You know, I get that it wasn't the greatest move on U2's part to pull that stunt, and I don't profess to know what every single security person did on that night, but to put blame on or call security names, especially U2's security, kindof stinks.

I may have been to less shows than you historically (I'm in the 30s range I'd have to go back and count to be sure), but am struggling to recall any show where I saw security along the front rail be assholes to anyone. I've seen plenty of assholish and even abusive behavior towards them, tho. Fans freaking out because they think every single last security person on location should have got the memo that they are The Most Entitled Fan Ever. The way they deal with these people with patience and professionalism is sometimes beyond what most of us could in the same situation.

On the other hand, I've seen them chat with fans, deal with idiots who were making the experience shit for others, hand out ear plugs and water, rescue people who were fainting or getting crushed, and in general carry themselves very professionally and do their jobs and sometimes even make reasonable exceptions for people they aren't necessarily supposed to make. So calling them assholes when they do their job - read: whatever the band and venue management tells them to do - is uncalled for imo.

And shout out to my U2 fan friend/Interferencer/security professional who works these shows and other artists all the time and knows what it's like..if she still lurks here ;) :wave:

I was only pointing to one show back in 2001 in Boston. Its not clear who was responsible for the decision to change things for that one show, but it would have been rather easy to warn fans that night before or at least early in the morning what would transpire, instead of just a few minutes before they let people in. It would have been easy, taken less than a minute and likely prevented the entire incident. That would have been the kind, and professional thing to do, especially given the band were filming a concert video. As it is, the "protest" is not really noticeable in the video unless you look for it, but it had the potential to be worse which would have embarrassed the band, and potentially cause them to re-shoot the concert video at another show costing the band more money and time.

So, in the name of being polite, as opposed to the opposite, as well as being smart and professional for the bands sake, the people in line should have been informed of what was about to happen the night before or in the early morning hours.

This thread, combined with the near heatstroke we suffered in Baltimore in 2011, reaffirms my instinct to D-bag it all the way from now on.

I kind of like watching the show from up high, on the floor of the stadium it felt like they were performing over my head, and I'm not short.

Arenas might be a different story. But then, I might just be a D-bag these days.

I was at that Baltimore show in 2011. It was real hot and I knew it would be like the hottest place on earth in the inner ring. So I put on light colored clothes, T-shirt, shorts, and made sure to pound water before and during the show, plus No beer. Did just fine and had a great view of the stage from the center of the inner ring.

I remember Bono, in his black leather pants and jacket saying something like, my God, its hot tonight.

By the way, what do you mean by D-bag?

So weve still got a way to go before something like the stage design comes out then

Daniel Lanois actually was the first to report the basic design of the stage in December 2008, that they would be playing stadiums with the in the round set up they had been using for decades in arena's, going 360 in industry terms. But no one had done that for a stadium tour yet due to the cost and massive number of tickets one would have to sell. Also, when tickets went on sale in winter/spring 2009, seating charts with the stage were posted for people buying tickets.

I was at that Baltimore show in 2011. It was real hot and I knew it would be like the hottest place on earth in the inner ring. So I put on light colored clothes, T-shirt, shorts, and made sure to pound water before and during the show, plus No beer. Did just fine and had a great view of the stage from the center of the inner ring.

I remember Bono, in his black leather pants and jacket saying something like, my God, its hot tonight.

The really expensive seats = douchebag seats.

Any tossing of the ol pigskin?

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

it would have been rather easy to warn fans that night before or at least early in the morning what would transpire, instead of just a few minutes before they let people in. It would have been easy, taken less than a minute and likely prevented the entire incident. That would have been the kind, and professional thing to do, especially given the band were filming a concert video. As it is, the "protest" is not really noticeable in the video unless you look for it, but it had the potential to be worse which would have embarrassed the band, and potentially cause them to re-shoot the concert video at another show costing the band more money and time.

So, in the name of being polite, as opposed to the opposite, as well as being smart and professional for the bands sake, the people in line should have been informed of what was about to happen the night before or in the early morning hours.

I completely disagree, I don't think it would have changed a thing. I've been in these lines many many times, and shit gets kinda ugly sometimes. It would decidedly not have been met with politeness on the part of the people in the line and it would have likely been a really long and ugly GA line experience.

You're also assuming that security - or even, the band for that matter - knew this was how it was going to go down a day or more in advance. I don't think they necessarily knew at all. I think U2 made a decision in the 11th hour based on who they saw in the line and realized it was the same people they'd had in front of them the previous umpteen shows. I don't really understand why they didn't want that, nor do I necessarily agree with what happened, but I don't think it was known far enough in advance to make things any easier by telling people a day or more in advance. What do you think they would have done, said 'aw fuck it, we're not gettin rail so let's go home and come back just before the show'?? yeah, right..lol!!

At this point I will just be grateful to see a U2 tour at the pace they have been releasing albums over the last 20 years. I'm getting old - no time to waste!

If the album comes out in June I can't see them playing stadiums in the US at least on the first leg as one would anticipate the earliest the tour would start is October.

118221_original.gif

I don't know why people have to act like a complaint such as mine (concerning the Vertigo Tour lottery system) is whining, especially when you went on to whine about fans in the lines just a few pages later.

The Vertigo system was bullshit because part of the reason it existed was to discourage people from lining up way in advance. But it pretty much failed to do that. People still showed up outside the arena at 4 AM to collect wristbands four hours later and then had to get back in line to enter the arena like two hours before showtime. All the lottery managed to do was screw people over. Yeah, you can get a nice spot on the outer rail still if you showed up early, but had I known I wouldn't get scanned in, I would've just showed up twenty minutes before the doors opened and have been not much worse off. Of course, no diehard with GA tickets was really going to take that chance, hence why the lottery was such a miserable failure.

I mean, really, the band can't handle seeing some of the same faces in the front rows chanting along to every lyric with intensity? Makes more sense to have some guy who got his tickets as a corporate gift sit five rows back and stare at his cellphone half the time? Or somebody staring at their feet whenever it's not one of the greatest hits?

Maybe having the same superfans being up front at a lot of 360 shows will make the band think twice about another terrible lottery system. Otherwise, I sure as hell will be showing up with GA tickets right before the doors open and take my chances. I might be one of the only "U2 addicts" to do so, but screw wasting most of your day only to be disappointed. I'll enjoy not having to go six hours without visiting the bathroom.

Hell, if you think about it, asking people for photo ID to enter the inner circle would have solved the problem. If you live closer to where there's another arena show, you don't get to go into the circle. Problem solved and the hundreds that hop around the country would only get to be upfront at their hometown.

Any tossing of the ol pigskin?

Not that day. I only came to the show with two other people. They spent most of the day in Baltimore going to record shops and pubs. I came into Baltimore in the afternoon. Got in line around 4 pm which is when I met up with them. Waited in line maybe two hours and then was inside the inner ring a little after 6 pm. Plus it was a little hot for football.

I completely disagree, I don't think it would have changed a thing. I've been in these lines many many times, and shit gets kinda ugly sometimes. It would decidedly not have been met with politeness on the part of the people in the line and it would have likely been a really long and ugly GA line experience.

You're also assuming that security - or even, the band for that matter - knew this was how it was going to go down a day or more in advance. I don't think they necessarily knew at all. I think U2 made a decision in the 11th hour based on who they saw in the line and realized it was the same people they'd had in front of them the previous umpteen shows. I don't really understand why they didn't want that, nor do I necessarily agree with what happened, but I don't think it was known far enough in advance to make things any easier by telling people a day or more in advance. What do you think they would have done, said 'aw fuck it, we're not gettin rail so let's go home and come back just before the show'?? yeah, right..lol!!

Yes and ugly GA line experience, with the protestors venting waiting in line instead of venting when they get into the heart. Sure tempers would flair, but it would not be as intense and there would be hours for tempers to calm before anyone was let in the building. This way, there would be no protest and U2 have the full, complete, happy, energetic audience they were hoping for.

They would still be in line to insure they got into the heart. Only the first 300 get into the heart.

I mean, really, the band can't handle seeing some of the same faces in the front rows chanting along to every lyric with intensity?

I think it was more with those fans yawning when U2 played Pride. Or Stay, since they also heard that one the previous three shows. And then leaving when the encore started so they were front of the line again for the next show. Why some fans do that, I don't know either. But it happened. Hence the change on the Vertigo Tour with the random scanning to get into the Inner Circle.

Yes and ugly GA line experience, with the protestors venting waiting in line instead of venting when they get into the heart. Sure tempers would flair, but it would not be as intense and there would be hours for tempers to calm before anyone was let in the building. This way, there would be no protest and U2 have the full, complete, happy, energetic audience they were hoping for.

They would still be in line to insure they got into the heart. Only the first 300 get into the heart.

You realize that that scenario was hypothetical and depended on the huge and probably erroneous assumption that this was planned days in advance?

So, yeah, way to completely miss the point.

Just because we can set aside 48 hrs of our lives for each show for no other reason than to focus our every thought and energy on securing The Prized Spot - doesnt mean anyone else in this equation: the band, security, anyone - thinks the same.

I mean, really, the band can't handle seeing some of the same faces in the front rows chanting along to every lyric with intensity? Makes more sense to have some guy who got his tickets as a corporate gift sit five rows back and stare at his cellphone half the time? Or somebody staring at their feet whenever it's not one of the greatest hits?

I'm not sure if the numbers for 'hardcore' fans are as low as you made them out to be. People could be distracted all over the arena, and I'm sure some the people who own the entire discography will be looking at their cell phones from time to time.

Hell, if you think about it, asking people for photo ID to enter the inner circle would have solved the problem. If you live closer to where there's another arena show, you don't get to go into the circle. Problem solved and the hundreds that hop around the country would only get to be upfront at their hometown.

That's actually an interesting idea, although then you're asking security to be geography experts. Would probably result in nightmarish delays...everybody's going to have a story to tell, for sure.

I don't know why people have to act like a complaint such as mine (concerning the Vertigo Tour lottery system) is whining, especially when you went on to whine about fans in the lines just a few pages later.

I'm sorry - that wasn't meant to point out your post as a whine. It was more of a "here comes the rehash of the GA drama that happens every other year on the site where we can predict each and every post" ... and yes, I am aware I am incapable of not being sucked in. :)

Not that day. I only came to the show with two other people. They spent most of the day in Baltimore going to record shops and pubs. I came into Baltimore in the afternoon. Got in line around 4 pm which is when I met up with them. Waited in line maybe two hours and then was inside the inner ring a little after 6 pm. Plus it was a little hot for football.

Not too hot for getting some digits though, amirite brah? :hi5:

That's actually an interesting idea, although then you're asking security to be geography experts. Would probably result in nightmarish delays...everybody's going to have a story to tell, for sure.

Could just limit it to the states that don't have a closer show on the tour. If they told the fans in advance, the process would go a lot swifter since IDs would only need to be checked for those trying to get into the inner circle. Only problem arises when it's a state like California and then they've got to make sure it's not Southern California or whatever.

Would make it even smoother to tie it to credit card purchases, then you won't have people making fake IDs (because, let's be honest, there's a lot of crazies that will literally pay for fake IDs in various states in order to have access).

It's funny though how we and the band's management devised a whole system to simply prevent a few diehards from being up front every night. There's literally no more than 50 people at most arena shows that are big time tourists (attending about 6 or more shows). Most people are from that specific region which makes the entire Vertigo process even more bullshit since you're just making it tougher on the bulk of people who were only attending 1 or 2 shows.

Obviously, U2 360 allowed for insane fan tourism since there were way more GA tickets and the process allowed anybody to wait in line as early as they want. Vertigo's GA ticket selection for the arenas had the greatest supply and demand imbalance in the band's history, and even if you were fortunate enough to get floor tickets (I got shafted for one San Jose show since I bought a seat in the U2.com debacle and then came into money for nosebleeds for Oakland's two nights after the fact), they obviously didn't guarantee front row privileges.

Probably was no more forum whining than that tour and the U2.com thing was a downright shitfest...making fans pay all that money for access to worse tickets than they could have got on their own was an absolute joke.

stadiums
with a sack over bono's head and with him singing through auto-tune,
fans paying $200 for tickets so they can record the big screen image and then go home and put it on youtube and watch it.

I can't wait

I'm not sure if the numbers for 'hardcore' fans are as low as you made them out to be. People could be distracted all over the arena, and I'm sure some the people who own the entire discography will be looking at their cell phones from time to time.

Can't people leave their cell phone off for two hours? Is that too much to ask considering most people didn't have cell phones on Popmart and did just fine.

Also, you don't have to film and photograph every part of the show. Put your cell phone away and simply enjoy the concert experience.

You realize that that scenario was hypothetical and depended on the huge and probably erroneous assumption that this was planned days in advance?

So, yeah, way to completely miss the point.

Just because we can set aside 48 hrs of our lives for each show for no other reason than to focus our every thought and energy on securing The Prized Spot - doesnt mean anyone else in this equation: the band, security, anyone - thinks the same.

Well, the filming of the show was planned weeks if not months in advance and if the band is going to do something to disrupt the situation for the fans at a show, they could at least inform them the day before or the day of the show, hours in advance. That is FAR from being too much to ask and would be a smart thing to do by the band that would have calmed ruffled feathers.

It would have cost the band or its management nothing to do that and would have been the polite, professional, intelligent and common sense thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom