Will the next tour be in stadiums or arena's in the United States?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would say it's a distinct possibility. I also agree that they'd very likely skip the Izod Center this time around, as it's a dump compared to Prudential or Barclay's, and much harder to get to.

Getting to Prudential or Barclay's via mass transit is incredibly simple.

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

I think the Prudential Center would be a nice change. Wouldn't be surprised if they did a show or two at the Barclays Center (Jay-Z and Kanye played both MSG and Barclays in their recent tours)

In terms of SoCal, I have a feeling they'll try to book the Staples Center in LA instead of the renovated Forum, which is a bit of a shame. It will be easier to book many shows, consecutively, and U2 could be a HUGE boost for the venue.

As long as they stick with Key Arena for the Seattle date and don't switch back to the frickin' Tacoma Dome, I'll be happy.

Frickin' Tacoma Dome. Ugh.

Do you feel that way about the Tacoma Dome just because it's in Tacoma?

Well, I hate having to fight the traffic and deal with parking to see a show in Tacoma when there's a better arena right here in Seattle, where I can catch a bus to the show and be there in 20 minutes. :wink:

I've seen two shows at Tacoma. I know people bitch about the sound at Key Arena, but the Tacoma Dome is loads worse.

They played there for Elevation though, so ..... :uhoh:

You've never done GA for an arena?

Well, there's a story to this. I was a young teen during Zoo TV and my mother went to see the band when I was at sleepaway camp--talk about a stab to the heart. By Pop I was too devoutly evangelical to be interested in heathen music, and during Elevation I was deep into alt country and Americana. For Vertigo and 360 I had tiny babies and U2 was nowhere on my radar. So, no. The short of it is that my live-U2 cherry is still intact. Now... why was that so hard to say?

I think the Prudential Center would be a nice change. Wouldn't be surprised if they did a show or two at the Barclays Center (Jay-Z and Kanye played both MSG and Barclays in their recent tours)

In terms of SoCal, I have a feeling they'll try to book the Staples Center in LA instead of the renovated Forum, which is a bit of a shame. It will be easier to book many shows, consecutively, and U2 could be a HUGE boost for the venue.

You don't think they would do both? I bet a show at the Forum would sound a lot better.

Well, I hate having to fight the traffic and deal with parking to see a show in Tacoma when there's a better arena right here in Seattle, where I can catch a bus to the show and be there in 20 minutes. :wink:

I've seen two shows at Tacoma. I know people bitch about the sound at Key Arena, but the Tacoma Dome is loads worse.

They played there for Elevation though, so ..... :uhoh:

Driving to the Tacoma Dome really sucks from Seattle or the Eastside. One rainy Friday, it took over 2 hours to get from downtown out there.

The updated Forum has snagged quite a few big names from the Staples already, I hope U2 follows suit.

I was just thinking - since some of us are concerned about it being harder to get tickets for an arena tour - when U2 have come to NYC(one of the biggest, if not the biggest, market for U2 shows in the States) for arena gigs in the recent past, they've played both MSG and Continental Airlines Arena in East Rutherford(though for North Jersey they may do the newer Prudential Center in Newark this time), but this will be their first arena tour since the Barclays Center in Brooklyn has been open. Does anybody think they'll play there too? They could potentially play 2-3 gigs at MSG, 2 gigs in North Jersey, and 2 gigs at Barclays.

In 2005 U2 played 8 shows at MSG and 2 in East Rutherford. 10 NYC shows, and still didn't play to as many people as they did with 3 shows on 360. U2 could probably book MSG for a solid month and still sell out.

I think they will build arenas just for the concerts and dismantle them after the show.

Well, there's a story to this. I was a young teen during Zoo TV and my mother went to see the band when I was at sleepaway camp--talk about a stab to the heart. By Pop I was too devoutly evangelical to be interested in heathen music, and during Elevation I was deep into alt country and Americana. For Vertigo and 360 I had tiny babies and U2 was nowhere on my radar. So, no. The short of it is that my live-U2 cherry is still intact. Now... why was that so hard to say?

We've discussed parts of this before, my bad. These types of circumstances I can totally relate to. :hug:

Hasn't there been a past restriction on Croke Park usage, stipulating only one act's series of concerts per year? (Obviously, that's been violated now.)

Slaaaaane~! lol I already answered it when it was first asked, nobody seemed to have noticed this. U2 broke the rule in 2001 on Slane, got fined, promised to never do it again bla bla.

Croke park only has a strict curfew, as it's in the middle of a neighbourhood. They HAVE to be off by 11pm, or they'll get fined as usual. You're not allowed to start a GA line there before the day of the show around 5am either.

I knew you'd remember after a minute. But seriously, the arrival times and waiting?

If you want to be in the first 2-300 people or so, the general pattern is the afternoon-evening of the day before the show. People camp out overnight. However, most venues will not allow people on the premises until very early (5/6 am) on the day of the show, so the line starts just off property as close as possible.

Which is another advantage of arenas over stadiums. With stadiums for some reason it got ridiculously out of control with people lining up as far in advance as 48 hrs :coocoo:

I knew you'd remember after a minute. But seriously, the arrival times and waiting?

Depends on venue and city. I've seen GA go overnight. Hence why Mr CK and I could never do it. Our kids are 8 and not-quite-2.

If we do GA this time, I'll probably do the "overnight" or "all day" portion of the wait and have Mr CK meet me after he can get a sitter for the kidlets. But like I said, we're not even sure we're going to do that. It's a bucket lister for me (GA, rail spot/Adam's side) but I also put my kids first, so yeah. Bono finds me a sitter, then we'll talk. :lol:

If you want to be in the first 2-300 people or so, the general pattern is the afternoon-evening of the day before the show. People camp out overnight. However, most venues will not allow people on the premises until very early (5/6 am) on the day of the show, so the line starts just off property as close as possible.

Which is another advantage of arenas over stadiums. With stadiums for some reason it got ridiculously out of control with people lining up as far in advance as 48 hrs :coocoo:

For Elevation Arenas to be in the first 300, you only needed to be there by 10 AM day of the show. I would hope that would still be the case if they do arenas this time. I think the idea of sleeping outside overnight is not something even many dedicated die hards are willing to do, which makes it possible to get a good night sleep and then show up in the morning in time to get a good spot in the line.

With stadiums, you only needed to be in line when the open the doors of the stadium, in order to get into the inner ring.

They haven't done an arena tour in Europe in 22 years, I would be very surprised if they reversed this trend. There isn't any evidence they will beyond pure speculation from a Gigslutz article and the fact that Croke Park is booked. Aviva Stadium can hold 65,000 for concerts though, and the Slane concerts haven't been announced for 2014 as well.

Elevation was arenas in the UK at least

Towards the end of Elevation is my experience. People camped overnight. These were typically people who wanted specific spots on the rail.

Vertigo was more of the same. Although I think in general most people showed up very early in the morning.

If its winter, camping out is kindof
shitty. If its a warm climate, people are more willing to camp out. In Miami for Elevation we got there early evening the day before the show and there were 90+ ppl already there.

For Elevation Arenas to be in the first 300, you only needed to be there by 10 AM day of the show.

For Chicago on the third leg of Elevation you needed to get there VERY early in the morning to get in the heart. People started camping out overnight in a lot of markets on the third leg. First leg I would get there at 10am and have no problem, but not the third leg. It also was not a set "300" people in line got in the heart. There were VIP's that would get spots also. The heart had a capacity of 300 (supposedly), but sometimes only about 200 to 250 actual camping out fans made it in.

I would suspect that if there is fewer spots on the floor (IE arena tour), people are going to camp out overnight for sure to get the prime spots. U2 GA is just insanity now IMO. I'm glad I got my fill of it when I did. No thanks!

I did GA for many, many midwest Elevation shows.

I never went for the inside of the heart; my spot was the outside tip.

We were in line by 7am most days and I ended up where I wanted to be every time.

No clue how different things are nowadays. But I am fairly certain that I'd like to do GA again this time around.

Well, I think the worst are the South American shows.

People act like crazy and start to line up days before (usually 3 days, but I met a girl who was in line for a week prior).

So, the waiting is, for me, by far, the worst (but I've been only to SA concerts, so..). And in my first concert I was so excited, talking to everyone, meeting new people, and so I forget to sit down a little bit. Needless to say how I was the day after.

But sleeping in the street is always funny, at least, I got in the inner circle :lol:

Depends on venue and city. I've seen GA go overnight. Hence why Mr CK and I could never do it. Our kids are 8 and not-quite-2.

If we do GA this time, I'll probably do the "overnight" or "all day" portion of the wait and have Mr CK meet me after he can get a sitter for the kidlets. But like I said, we're not even sure we're going to do that. It's a bucket lister for me (GA, rail spot/Adam's side) but I also put my kids first, so yeah. Bono finds me a sitter, then we'll talk. :lol:

Just so you know, saving spots is extremely frowned upon, and could cause you a massive argument if you were to attempt to do so for your husband, kids or not.

If you do try to do just that, attempt to explain the situation to the people around you in line first. If they're understanding? Great. If they're not, it would be best to cede your place in line then and there and simply wait for your husband. You'll still be able to get a decent spot later in the day in many instances.

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

Back
Top Bottom