Wild Honey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

j72

The Fly
I guess the question mark for me signifies a personal reappraisal of this song. I get the impression on this forum and speaking to other fans that this song falls between a mixture of being loathed or a "pleasant enough tune" blah, blah etc and nothing more.

I would hardly say it had profound status or sit amongst the bands legendary songs for me. BUT it has kind of snuck up on me recently and seems to hit e more than a completely lightweight tune, difficult to put onto words at the moment.
Especially considering being on the back of just finishing some very intense work a few hours ago and my head a little bit like soft boiled lobster. Any thoughts on this song folks?

I guess the question mark for me signifies a personal reappraisal of this song. I get the impression on this forum and speaking to other fans that this song falls between a mixture of being loathed or a "pleasant enough tune" blah, blah etc and nothing more.

I would hardly say it had profound status or sit amongst the bands legendary songs for me. BUT it has kind of snuck up on me recently and seems to hit e more than a completely lightweight tune, difficult to put onto words at the moment.
Especially considering being on the back of just finishing some very intense work a few hours ago and my head a little bit like soft boiled lobster. Any thoughts on this song folks?

The tune is kind of catchy, but the lyrics seem forced and some of them approach creepy. My two cents...

It's alright, doesn't really bother me, it's a pleasant enough tune. But for monkey songs, I gotta give the edge (no pun intended) to Dave Matthews' Proudest Monkey. Wild Honey can't touch it. :)

It's alright, doesn't really bother me, it's a pleasant enough tune. But for monkey songs, I gotta give the edge (no pun intended) to Dave Matthews' Proudest Monkey. Wild Honey can't touch it. :)

DMB has a few good songs on the topic of monkeys... also see "Big Eyed Fish" and "Monkey Man".

I've always loved "Wild Honey" and never dismissed it as throwaway. As Adam says, the album needs a bright spot in the middle to "keep people from throwing themselves out the window". That's very true.

I'm a cold Italian pizza
I COULD USE A LEMON SQUEEEZAAHH

Wild Honey is OK. I wish more of ATYCLB went in that direction; Summer Rain and Flower Child are both better than Wild Honey and deserved a spot on the album in place of heavy-handed crap like Peace On Earth. And crappy crap like Grace.

Always liked it. Not my favorite U2 song or their strongest, but it's a pleasant song. The only track off ATYCLB I've never been big on was Peace on Earth, to be honest.

like the singing bit in the middle when it first came out coz it sounded a bit like the old days but meh probs my least fave of the album

I have really grown on this song. It's just reckless fun. I think LemonMelon said earlier that for upbeat acoustic tracks, Flower Child and Summer Rain fare better (and I agree), but Wild Honey just hits the right spot for me. The lyrics are garbage, but I don't even care. I like Edge's vocal contribution. It's just fun, unpretentious stuff.

Enjoyed looking at the responses to the song folks. I think for me it perhaps touches chords because it sometimes seems to have flashes of both a playful and "reckless" nature as Scorponiac observed.
I think it reminds me in some ways of certain free spirited Waterboys jigs (although not quite as good) who are another favourite band for me.

Thank you also Bono_212 (if i get the name right?) for reminding me also about the wonderful Tom Petty Wildflowers album with the song Honey Bee you posted. love it when replies set off chains of memory or new thought, thanks a lot.

I also get the folk who don't like it, if it doesn't come from a holy joe Purist (which i don't get the impression it does) "that's not what the band should do" angle i can see why the songs not to everyone,s taste. As i said i wasn't too keen on it myself a little while back and music be ing music may not be again in a weeks time. take care -folks

I like it, I don't mind it when U2 goes pop. Reminds me of Simon/Garfunkel with the electric/acoustic guitar interplay, and Bono/Edge vocals are nice.

Yes, they didn't go all the way with ATYCLB being a pop album.

Enjoyed looking at the responses to the song folks. I think for me it perhaps touches chords because it sometimes seems to have flashes of both a playful and "reckless" nature as Scorponiac observed.

Funny you mention that... this track and lot of the others on ATYCLB remind me of my final year or two of high school. Sort of a similar nature back in that era I suppose, but the songs do take me back to that particular time in my life. Playful, reckless, whatever! It's a nice feeling though.

"this track and lot of the others on ATYCLB remind me of my final year or two of high school. Sort of a similar nature back in that era I suppose, but the songs do take me back to that particular time in my life. Playful, reckless, whatever! It's a nice feeling though". tvgreg

Thanks for that, i have enjoyed the response and humour to this post and the vibe of the thread/songs sent in, some i have never heard before and now looking into. Lot of warmth and soul on this album in general, felt so good to me after the Pop album. The band were cooking again both on the album and the stripped down tour as far i was concerned.

Back
Top Bottom