Why the hell do so many people hate Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not so sure it's even that shocking if young folk don't know who he is. Maybe they're not as ubiquitous as we (and the band?) think they are anymore.

Maybe people have to do a little legwork these days to find out who U2 is, or seek out any music they're unfamiliar with. Sometimes people are stuck in their ways with music. They have some bands they like and don't go out looking for new music until it bites them in the ass, like "Hey, this is good, who is this? Oh, THIS is U2? Damn, this isn't bad."

I don't know. I don't even care that much who hates him and who doesn't know about them. They'll either come around to liking or tolerating U2 and Bono in the future, stay hating him for the hell of it because they're lame, or will forget all about hating him, never hear their music and move ahead in their lives, perfectly happy.

I think a lot of people know who Bono is, many don't know much about him, and those who do generally don't like him because he's perceived as both arrogant and a walking guilt-trip.

Also, there are a lot of people who don't like U2's music. That doesn't help.

South Park has nothing to do with that, and fucking everyone from my high school watched that show. Maybe I'm too old, though.

I haven't been to Interference in a couple months, and this thread was the perfect one to welcome back. Especially the "smh" portion. :lmao: Being 22, I consider myself one of "the youth", and I had no idea what it meant until 3 weeks ago. I was with Cori on "so much hate". Anyway, I didn't get into U2 til the summer after high school graduation which was 4.5 years ago. I had just always thought they were boring, but I had no negative opinions of Bono. In fact, I knew more about his activism at the time then I did about the band itself, and I respected him for it. After nearly 5 years of being a huge fan of the band and with the ability of "teh Facebook", I've gone back and looked at music sections on the profiles of people I've gone to high school and college with and noticed that there are a lot more U2 fans in their late teens/early 20s than one would think. And like me, they also tend to appreciate a lot more older music, hip hop, indie or alternative music than other kids our age. None of my close friends are U2 fans, and I've noticed it's generally the people that don't know much about good music in general that tend to hate on Bono/U2. They have no real reasons other than the fact that they don't get the music and Bono is such passionate, in-your-face person that he's an easy target. He knows it, and the thing that makes him so awesome is that he genuinely doesn't give a fuck. So, I don't either.

You never suggested I said that... or implied it...

but then you go ahead and talk about how you are a parent and therefore kids are not stupid?

You might not have a stupid kid... but you're of the minority when that's the case.

don't you mean "in the minority"?

i am saying, as a mother of teenage kids, that i disagree with your blanket statement that "kids are stupid", is all :wave:

eta: oh my god what a stooooopid conversation LOLOLOLOL

I know there are decent people, but just like you said, you just have to find them. Meaning they are of the minority these days.

c'mon... there's LOADS of decent people out there, lighten up! life is beautiful and far too short to be thinking everyone but yourself is "ignorant" :D

Of my friends that are actual music fans, I'd say 60-70% of them like U2. But I'd also say that only about 25% of my friends are actual music fans.

Of my friends that are actual music fans, I'd say 60-70% of them like U2. But I'd also say that only about 25% of my friends are actual music fans.

THIS. x infinity+1. And of that small percentage that are actual music fans, only a couple are people I consider close friends and not acquaintances.

They have no real reasons other than the fact that they don't get the music and Bono is such passionate, in-your-face person that he's an easy target. He knows it, and the thing that makes him so awesome is that he genuinely doesn't give a fuck. So, I don't either.

This is the very reason they can't stand him. Bono/U2 is so popular beyond these peoples very reasoning, so they suck. You have to forgive them they just don't understand. :wink:

i think the greater question that needs to be asked is this... why do so many people care if people don't like bono?

Because I am uncapable of allowing you to feel this way. I must convince the entire world of Bono's brilliance. Just one nay-sayer is too many. I cannot eat, sleep, drink, or rest until I know have become as madly and deeply passionate about Bono as I am.

:wave:

c'mon... there's LOADS of decent people out there, lighten up! life is beautiful and far too short to be thinking everyone but yourself is "ignorant" :D

Quite the opposite. Never did I put myself on some high chair (I even went to some lengths to say 'even I am ignorant when it comes to certain things').

South Park Youth

thumbnail.aspx

why does everything always have to be about teh south park?

well, they tend to find that he sucks more with his short hair. go back to achtung baby length and they will find him a little more cool.

Nah, then they'd think he sucks because he's an aging rock star trying desperately to hang onto his hipper, cooler, bad-assier youth.

Back
Top Bottom