Why the hell do so many people hate Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i guess you're not a parent then?

wow... just wow...

? I'm 18. I never said all kids are stupid, and I never said having kids is stupid. This has nothing to do with being a parent. I never implied that the concept of kids are stupid. Just that if you survey kids today, they're more ignorant than ever.

Ignorance = stupidity in my opinion.

? I'm 18. I never said all kids are stupid, and I never said having kids is stupid. This has nothing to do with being a parent. I never implied that the concept of kids are stupid. Just that if you survey kids today, they're more ignorant than ever.

lol you really do like to generalise don't you!

you said "kids are stupid", which is quite the blanket statement

i never suggested you said "having kids is stupid" or that you implied that "the concept of kids are (sic) stupid"

speaking as a parent myself, i do not think kids are stupid... :wave:

Sounds like you're basing this on some schmucks you went to high school with. "Kids" are more informed than ever thanks to the internet and all that jazz.

Perhaps you should hang out with other people at school bro... seems like your friends are idiots. :wink:

There's plenty of decent people around these days. You just have to find them.

Kids today are ignorant about a lot of things and then very in the know about other things. They have the resources but I guess choose not to know about certain things. And I don't know about anyone else but does anybody have friends who think it's very uncool to like something that's old? If a song is even as old as five years my friends will just go off about how it's old and how it shouldn't be listened to.:huh: If it isn't current then I guess it doesn't exist in their minds. This frustrates me quite a bit but I never really let it get to me. I'll listen to what I like and they'll do the same, but I still don't like the concept of "that song is old so therefore we shouldn't listen to it".

(I've always wondered what their reaction would be like if I could take them in a time machine back to the late 70s/early 80s.:wink:)

And I don't know about anyone else but does anybody have friends who think it's very uncool to like something that's old? If a song is even as old as five years my friends will just go off about how it's old and how it shouldn't be listened to.:huh: If it isn't current then I guess it doesn't exist in their minds. This frustrates me quite a bit but I never really let it get to me. I'll listen to what I like and they'll do the same, but I still don't like the concept of "that song is old so therefore we shouldn't listen to it".

(I've always wondered what their reaction would be like if I could take them in a time machine back to the late 70s/early 80s.:wink:)

I know people like that, mostly who art my friends, most notably the people at the other side of the room in AP Art who whine when my iPod's on speakers D: Then again, most of my friends tolerate my music and it doesn't really matter whether they do or not; I'm fond of them whether they listen to nothing but stuff from the last year or so or not. Although it saddens me sometimes, but nearly all music has its merit.

Heh...I've wondered what would happen if the whole high school was in the 70s or 80s. We would have wonderful...or probably better, at least...music at dances and such...

:sigh: And yet you're not of the youth. You really seem to be giving people a lot more credit than they deserve. Kids are stupid. I bet you could poll at least half of kids in high school and they couldn't tell you one damn thing about Bono. Other than maybe 'he's that humanitarian guy with the sun glasses'.

You are acting as if I'm coming off with this huge bias, when in reality you just like to tell people they're wrong. Hate to break it to you, but people are ignorant. Especially today's youth. More ignorant than ever before (or so it seems).

I'll admit to being ignorant when it comes to certain things. This is not one of them. You want ignorant? Today, numerous times, I tried to spark a conversation in 3 different college classes about the Grammy's. I got an astounding 'never heard of them before' from every single student but ONE. Of 65 students! Granted, not all said something, most of them admitted to not knowing.

You come from a time where Bono was well known. Bono was cool. Whatever it was. You're biased. Kids these days have no reason to know who Bono is. But they are highly susceptible to peer pressure and to do what's 'cool'.

oh where to begin.

of the youth? really?

first off i'm 30, not 90. and when i was "of the youth?" people hated bono then, too. for the same reasons i presented before. and bono and u2 in general are both kinda sorta pretty well known with people of all ages, including those who are of the youth.

secondly... i don't know what college you're going to where only 1 out of 65 people have heard of the grammys, but you might want to look into transferring. also, if you randomly went up to 65 different people, they probably just thought you were strange and didn't want to talk to you.

i don't like telling people they're wrong... i do like having discussions, and just blankly agreeing with people? yea, not much of a discussion. so if there's something that i do disagree with, i'll state it. if there's something that i agree with 100%, the discussion isn't going to be very long. last i checked that's kinda what message boards are for.

Okay... people hate bono because of his ego, because of the sunglasses, because of the preaching, because a lot of people hate celebrities that make a lot of money and tell people about poverty, and some people just don't like people who are really popular.

I'm not completely sold on the "success = automatic hatred" argument.

Pink Floyd and ACDC have done tours that are "U2esque" money wise, but they haven't received 1/100th the vitriol that Bono has received.

I'm not completely sold on the "success = automatic hatred" argument.

Pink Floyd and ACDC have done tours that are "U2esque" money wise, but they haven't received 1/100th the vitriol that Bono has received.

neither one has a lead singer as in your face as bono. they sort of do their thing then go away.

neither one has a lead singer as in your face as bono. they sort of do their thing then go away.

I agree that it's "Bono's public personality + success = hated"

I disagree to those that say it's "success = jealousy/hatred"

It is interesting that Springsteen doesn't get that level of vitriol, especilally afte his GW Bush era political comments.

i'm a huge bruce fan, but i had an issue with him when he remained silent about an enormously corrupt democratic governor in new jersey at the same time he was on the vote for change tour... short of that, yea... bruce kinda just hides on the jersey shore when he's not on tour or promoting an album.

that's the thing with bono... he's out there... always. he's everywhere. even when u2 is "off cycle" he's still there in everyone's face.

i'm a huge bruce fan, but i had an issue with him when he remained silent about an enormously corrupt democratic governor in new jersey at the same time he was on the vote for change tour... short of that, yea... bruce kinda just hides on the jersey shore when he's not on tour or promoting an album.

that's the thing with bono... he's out there... always. he's everywhere. even when u2 is "off cycle" he's still there in everyone's face.

Bono has been selective about causes as well. He didn't ream Bush during Katrina - or even speak directly on the topic very much. In late 2004 he dodged EVERY Kerry/Bush question which was startling compared to ZooTV. His ONE campaigning created some delicate friendships Bono didn't want to break which even other band members publically questioned.

lol you really do like to generalise don't you!

you said "kids are stupid", which is quite the blanket statement

i never suggested you said "having kids is stupid" or that you implied that "the concept of kids are (sic) stupid"

speaking as a parent myself, i do not think kids are stupid... :wave:

You never suggested I said that... or implied it...

but then you go ahead and talk about how you are a parent and therefore kids are not stupid?

You might not have a stupid kid... but you're of the minority when that's the case.

Sounds like you're basing this on some schmucks you went to high school with. "Kids" are more informed than ever thanks to the internet and all that jazz.

Those who approach the internet and all that jazz (and not to toot my own horn) such as myself. Just because it's a powerful resource doesn't mean it's used. And even in the event that it is used, what do you think people are looking up? Pop culture. Justin Bieber. Eminem. Jay Z. Lil Wayne. Drake. Lady Gaga. So yeah, they know more about what the enjoy, but they also know it in a very small degree being that they dont know anything outside of it.

Perhaps you should hang out with other people at school bro... seems like your friends are idiots. :wink:
There's plenty of decent people around these days. You just have to find them.

Well, my roommates are idiots but that's another story. Rather back in high school one year ago, which is what I'm basing this off of, there was an incredible amount of ignorance. In fact, ignorance that wasn't just specific to young people. i.e. vote for Obama because he's young, hip, and cool. And because there's a hip-hop song with his name in it (not that I'm pro or anti Obama, but that mindset is silly and ignorant).

I know there are decent people, but just like you said, you just have to find them. Meaning they are of the minority these days.

qx52jo.jpg

oh where to begin.

of the youth? really?

first off i'm 30, not 90. and when i was "of the youth?" people hated bono then, too. for the same reasons i presented before. and bono and u2 in general are both kinda sorta pretty well known with people of all ages, including those who are of the youth.

secondly... i don't know what college you're going to where only 1 out of 65 people have heard of the grammys, but you might want to look into transferring. also, if you randomly went up to 65 different people, they probably just thought you were strange and didn't want to talk to you.

i don't like telling people they're wrong... i do like having discussions, and just blankly agreeing with people? yea, not much of a discussion. so if there's something that i do disagree with, i'll state it. if there's something that i agree with 100%, the discussion isn't going to be very long. last i checked that's kinda what message boards are for.

Really? really.

Never said you were 90. But you're not 18. Both of my sisters are older than you, I'm not saying you're an old sack of potatoes with no knowledge. I know where they stand socially, I know where a teacher/school administrator stands, etc. Once again, you're simply giving people too much credit. Maybe you'd like to think they're pretty well known at this point, but by young people, it's completely dependent on the person.

Secondly... read properly. And quit with your personal attacks. They didnt know who Arcade Fire was, or didn't comment. Where did I say I went up to 65 random people? Class 1 (15 people), class 2 (15 people) class 3 (25 people). Well, it's 55 people. Either way, it's not like people stared at me silently. We talked about the Grammy's. And when I brought up Arcade Fire it was generally answered with:

tumblr_lgltb8zSgH1qh8gp5o1_500.png

for those who chose to respond. For the quiet ones? I dunno, which is why I clarified for those who chose to answer. We talk in a group setting, before, during, and after class. Granted they weren't as ignorant (calling them the suburbs, or shaking their heads) as said picture above, most everybody claimed to not know who they were.

Fine, you dont like to tell people they're wrong. But when you disagree, you love to approach peoples posts with a smug, pompous response :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh:

Yeeeeeaaaaaa I think people hated bono before south park

i was talking about the kids there jimbo. before the episode came out kids had no idea who the lead singer of U2 was and didnt care. now because of south park every kid views bono as the "douche with the sunglasses and cowboy hat" and if you ask them if they've heard a U2 song they'll start singing " yeah yeah yeah yeah" (referring to vertigo). you may be a teacher but i was a student when i saw this fad to hate bono emerge.

Those who approach the internet and all that jazz (and not to toot my own horn) such as myself. Just because it's a powerful resource doesn't mean it's used. And even in the event that it is used, what do you think people are looking up? Pop culture. Justin Bieber. Eminem. Jay Z. Lil Wayne. Drake. Lady Gaga. So yeah, they know more about what the enjoy, but they also know it in a very small degree being that they dont know anything outside of it.

Yeah this pretty much!:up: They only care about what's cool and what's in their interest. They're not going to give a rat's ass about Bono or U2 or anything else.

i was talking about the kids there jimbo. before the episode came out kids had no idea who the lead singer of U2 was and didnt care. now because of south park every kid views bono as the "douche with the sunglasses and cowboy hat" and if you ask them if they've heard a U2 song they'll start singing " yeah yeah yeah yeah" (referring to vertigo). you may be a teacher but i was a student when i saw this fad to hate bono emerge.

Absolutely, spot on. Now, of course, it doesn't pertain to everyone, but a lot of the ignorant hate indeed. And it wasn't South Park specifically getting to everyone, but rather getting to a few people, who made it 'cool' to hate Bono.

But is it really a big deal that some kids only know Bono for that? Some of them will come to learn more about U2 and like their music, and their opinions will change. Others will hear them later on and decide they don't like them. Others will just decide to keep hating Bono because they're boneheads, whether or not they get exposure to the music. Others still will forget about Bono and why they're supposed to hate him.

I mean, if my only exposure to The Beatles was through some dumb and/or mean joke when I was younger, that just meant I'd never heard of them before because I didn't have a lot of exposure to their music until later on.

:shrug:

Secondly... read properly. And quit with your personal attacks. They didnt know who Arcade Fire was, or didn't comment. Where did I say I went up to 65 random people? Class 1 (15 people), class 2 (15 people) class 3 (25 people). Well, it's 55 people. Either way, it's not like people stared at me silently. We talked about the Grammy's. And when I brought up Arcade Fire it was generally answered with:

tumblr_lgltb8zSgH1qh8gp5o1_500.png

for those who chose to respond. For the quiet ones? I dunno, which is why I clarified for those who chose to answer. We talk in a group setting, before, during, and after class. Granted they weren't as ignorant (calling them the suburbs, or shaking their heads) as said picture above, most everybody claimed to not know who they were.

Fine, you dont like to tell people they're wrong. But when you disagree, you love to approach peoples posts with a smug, pompous response :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh:

ok, now try your best to read properly here... here is your post, exactly as you wrote it.

I'll admit to being ignorant when it comes to certain things. This is not one of them. You want ignorant? Today, numerous times, I tried to spark a conversation in 3 different college classes about the Grammy's. I got an astounding 'never heard of them before' from every single student but ONE. Of 65 students! Granted, not all said something, most of them admitted to not knowing.

Okay well in my own right, I forgot to add 'album of the year' as to what we were talking about (and that's my fault, sorry). Nonetheless, I think there's been a nice joke around the internet about people not knowing who they are, calling them 'The Suburbs' and such .

Guess what I just learned from this thread...you guys are gonna love this one..

smh = shaking my head (i think?)

I always thought it was the short form of the cool kids' expression "so much hype"

So, yeah! SMH!!

:lol:

I thought SMH was "so much hate" for the longest time. So you're not alone.

Let's face it, Gabe. We're not "of the youth."

Back
Top Bottom