Why no U2 guitar hero?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

super fly guy

New Yorker
I no this has been brought up before,but with the album out and the single has been out for a while,it looks like no U2 on guitar hero. Why??!!

becuase the whole point of the game is the big guitar solos. U2 doesnt have any except for maybe street mission and another time another place and now unknown caller.

being a guitar player myself i can say U2 has no song that is really technically challenging enough to have it in a guitar video game. kind of pointless to have a song on there with the same thing over and over again, or a guitar solo with 4 notes and 10 seconds long.

unfortunate. :sad:

Yeah but with the drum kit it brings a new dimension to it. How cool would boots be at the let me n the sound part!!?? And if coldplay have songs in it,surley U2 should? Coldplay are the least rocking rock n roll band ever!

Just doesnt seem like U2's thing. Though I believe some singstars have U2 tracks on them.

I hear theres a dedicated Beatles rock-band style game coming out soon though, which Im so buying. :D Now all they need is a Stones one.

Because U2's not known for guitar hero type guitar playing? I think it's painfully obvious.

The only song they've ever done that could work is 11 O'Clock Tick Tock.

I think there are plenty that would work personally. Just dont think it'd happen.

GH at least tends to be more RAWK and metal stuff. Its probably got more of a chance on Rock Band, as that seems a little more varied at least.

Because U2's not known for guitar hero type guitar playing? I think it's painfully obvious.

Vertigo and SBS would work too, but it's just not the U2 thing to do. This isn't their type of marketing.

IMHO, this would be a pretty likely song list for a U2 Track Pack:
-Get On Your Boots (it's the single, so if there's any U2 song on Guitar Hero, it's this.)
-Magnificent or Stand Up Comedy
-The Fly (Do I need to explain this one?)

-The Fly (Do I need to explain this one?)

yes :D

U2 "heaviest" song <<<<< most guitar hero tracks in terms of guitar factor

maybe a live version zootv or vertigo and if they made up an extended guitar solo like some of the songs on guitar hero, but not album version

- only 3 note riff over and over again
- solo is technically easy. i could play that behind my back, eyes closed and 1 handed.
- final solo on the album is kind of lost in the mix, so to speak

Guitar Hero is made by non-musicians who don't appreciate music and would not do U2 a service by having them in their game.

Rock Band, on the other hand, would be a perfect venue for U2 to showcase their music, as it would let them connect with the younger audience and this game series encourages a band dynamic much more than Guitar Hero. Not to mention Harmonix is a company made up of all musicians who know what they are doing so they would definitely be on the same page with the band in terms of protecting their music and making sure it is appreciated.

btw, i despise these guitar video games. do something really worthwile and learn the real thing. just seems like dumbing down musical instruments. "oh im not gonna bother with a real guitar, ill just get the video game."

probably not really though, im just cynical :lol:

hey Y2K, im from Monroeville :wave:

I used to really want a U2 based Guitar Hero or Rock Band game/ track pack/ whatever. But I am pretty much "over" the plastic-instrument-video-game thing. Although, if the Metallica GH does well, I could see a lot of bands getting their own games.

But if U2 DID get their own game, I think these songs would be a lot of fun:

Ultraviolet, SBS, Fire, Magnificent, GOYB, Stay, Discotheque, WTSHNN (which would probably be fairly tough at first), Exit (live), The Fly, EBTTRT... the list could go on. Not every song in these games are technically hard or have a ton of crazy guitar stuff. I mean, Willie Nelson and Bob Dylan have songs in Rock Band, and they're the most boring songs to play ever.

Coldplay were on guitar hero,and you cant call them rock n roll.

I know!!

The new Guitar Hero actually includes a more diverse list of artists. There are plenty that aren't guitar hero songs. Nirvana (About a Girl? One of the first songs I ever learned to play on guitar. Not so difficult), Blink-182, Foo Fighters, Modest Mouse, Fleetwood Mac, Filter, Jimmy Eat World, Paramore, Tokio Hotel, Interpol, R.E.M., Billy Idol, COLDPLAY, No Doubt, Smashing Pumpkins, Linkin Park ... I don't think any of these bands are more "guitar hero" than U2. The drums and vocals adds a whole new dimension.

That said, I prefer Rock Band. It's easier and more fun, and the drums feel more like I'm playing the song. They have a similar list of artists to GH.

U2 should release NLOTH as downloadable content for one or both of these games. That would be a very smart promotion move.

being a guitar player myself i can say U2 has no song that is really technically challenging enough to have it in a guitar video game. kind of pointless to have a song on there with the same thing over and over again, or a guitar solo with 4 notes and 10 seconds long.

This. The truth hurts, but it's still true. Holy Hades, would that get boring fast...

There are some very simple songs already in GH and RB.

Besides, there are now bass, drum and vocal parts in GH:World Tour and have been in all Rock Band games.

People who keep talking about U2 songs being boring for a GH/RB game have obviously little knowledge about some of the songs that get put into the games. Practically every Nirvana song is going to be in these type of games sooner or later and they have almost 0 challenge at all. You're telling me Polly can be in GH/RB but U2 doesn't fit? Please :doh:
YouTube - Polly Expert Drums FC

U2 music would be fine in GH/RB. No one would expect them to be high tier in terms of difficulty anyway. There are plenty of bands and songs that have poor charts for a video game, but get put in because they are badass or popular. Baba O'riley is downloadable for Rock Band 2 and has nothing to play for almost a minute.

if they ever came out with effects pedals for guitar hero/ rock band, then we'd be talkin. :wink:

hey wait, i should go get that idea patented:shifty:

btw, i despise these guitar video games. do something really worthwile and learn the real thing. just seems like dumbing down musical instruments. "oh im not gonna bother with a real guitar, ill just get the video game."

Pittsburgh Party!

I don't understand why people are focusing on guitar so much.... Rock Band has drums, vocals, and bass. Imagine drumming Sunday Bloody Sunday or Streets, strumming the bassline to New Year's Day, or singing Pride.

i guess because the OP ask why u2 arent in guitar hero. i guess U2 could be in rock band since they have all the components. i dont see why they arent included in that series, but guitar hero is probably because of what i said before.

no video game will ever beat the real thing though. :rockon:

Totally agree. Even my 7 year old daughter hates guitar hero for that very reason. She said "It's got nothing to do with playing guitar it's just pushing a bunch of stupid buttons"

Post-punk guitar hero

Joy Division
Echo and the Bunnymen
(early) U2

Damn, that would be one boring game, difficulty-wise :lmao:

8th note bassline.....
300 BARS COMPLETE

actually u2 has been heavily rumoured to have their own standalone guitar hero game coming out for a while. the guys behind rock band are doing a beatles game this year so perhaps they don't want to compete with that. also bono did mention that they knew the guitar hero guys while on bbc radio last week.

actually u2 has been heavily rumoured to have their own standalone guitar hero game coming out for a while. the guys behind rock band are doing a beatles game this year so perhaps they don't want to compete with that. also bono did mention that they knew the guitar hero guys while on bbc radio last week.

:hmm: I like Rock Band better but my lil bro has Guitar Hero so we would just need to buy the game and not all the components ...

DO IT U2! I need to sing along loudly to every U2 song :drool:

and if Aerosmith can have one ... i mean ... come on. The relevancy debate going on in the other thread ... maybe I'm just biased but I feel like U2 is more relevant than Aerosmith. Despite a lot of people I know hating or disliking U2 (usually because of Bono), I don't think I've met anyone who cares about Aerosmith at all :huh:

Post-punk guitar hero

Joy Division
Echo and the Bunnymen
(early) U2

Damn, that would be one boring game, difficulty-wise :lmao:

8th note bassline.....
300 BARS COMPLETE

actually i think 70's U2 had edge's most technically difficult guitar work ever:

street mission
the fool
inside out
another time, another place (demo) - this would actually be pretty damn good on guitar hero, i can see the patterns in my head :lol:

Back
Top Bottom