why dont you like Rattle and Hum?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love RAH's studio material for the most part. Heartland is one of my three favourite U2 songs. If it were an exclusively studio album, including other tracks from the era like Wild Irish Rose and She's A Mystery To Me, it'd be in my top five, easily.

But what the band released is an incohesive mess rejoicing in the undeserved title of "album". I cannot fathom why they thought it was a good idea tossing live material in amongst studio tracks, especially not the live material they chose.

This is right on. If U2 makes this a studio-only album, then suddenly you have a concise gem of an Americana album with multiple U2 classics: Desire, Angel of Harlem, All I Want Is You, and Heartland (I agree that this is one of their very best tracks--love its use in the movie as well). They could have thrown in Hallelujah Here She Comes or a couple JT b-sides to fill it out. Missed opportunity.

The video for Where The Streets Have No Name was a ripoff of the Beatles rooftop concert.

This really has nothing to do with Rattle and Hum does it? Odd segueway...

And it's not much of a "ripoff" when you acknowledge it from the get go and admit it's a tribute...

If you want to make a live album - make a live album, if you want to make a studio album - make a studio album. Don't mix them up though.

Also, if you are going to take live tracks from the movie - why not pick the good ones? Like Exit or IGC or WOWY or SBS?

I'd also rather have had the movie version of Desire. I'd also like a pony.

I love R&H, but double album (one live, one studio) would have been great. The point was I think to make a soundtrack rather than a proper album.

I don't really care about album cohesion in general; I like individual songs. My problem with "ranking" it is that there are a few songs that I absolutely could not live without (All I Want Is You), and several that I don't ever need to hear again (Helter Skelter, live versions of songs we already had), so where does that put the album as a whole? I don't know.

I would never say I hate R&H. The weak covers, terrible sequencing, and handful of ill-advised genre exercises place it among the lower tier of their discography, but it's still a fun listen.

I love it precisely because it is big and messy and shambolic - they just let it all hang out and I never understood why they got hammered for it

The image of these lads from the Joshua Tree as 4 serious fellows with a god complex was getting tired and they were trying to stretch their wings and fly

I think its trememdously exciting to hear them dig in and have a bash at a genre and style of music that so clearly enthralled them

I adore it for its honesty and its bravery - who amongst us has never fallen head over heels for a style of music, a band, a person, whatever and just let it consume them and to hell with what anyone thinks?

There is a lot of joy on this album for me and some absolute must listens . . .Desire, All I Want is You, Hawkmoon 269, God Part 2 :love: and yeah, there are a couple of tracks that if I never heard again I wouldn't be sorry (hello Love Rescue Me and When Love Comes to Town) . . . and agree with Axver that inclusion of Wild Irish Rose and She's A Mystery To Me would absolutely add some extra magic but :shrug: . . . it is what it is and I couldn't imagine my history of U2 fandom without it.

:)

This really has nothing to do with Rattle and Hum does it? Odd segueway...

And it's not much of a "ripoff" when you acknowledge it from the get go and admit it's a tribute...

it was part of the period of time, that's all

R&H to me shows the band at the top of their game
as been pointed out on this site before the sequencing makes a lot more side when you think of the 4 lp sides of the original release
it is too long for my personal taste though
and even though I can see how the live covers help to tell U2's "musical journey" I don't like them that much
almost top 5 for me

R&H movie > R&H album

At least in the movie, sequencing ain't a big deal, and the band interactions and extra curricular activities (Edge "appreciating" Satan And Adam by the side of the road FTW) are fucking hilarious.

I will say that I sprouted wood the first time I ever watched the "Fuck The Revolution" speech in the R&H movie. Thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. Still think it's pretty damn cool. And Bono's hair has never looked better than it did in that movie.

R&H movie > R&H album

At least in the movie, sequencing ain't a big deal, and the band interactions and extra curricular activities (Edge "appreciating" Satan And Adam by the side of the road FTW) are fucking hilarious.

:up:

R&H Movie > ZOOTV Sydney. (By a lot!!!)

By a fucking mile. The only U2 live release better than the RAH movie is UABRS. Oh, and maybe JT Paris, now that it's officially out there.

I will say that I sprouted wood the first time I ever watched the "Fuck The Revolution" speech in the R&H movie. Thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. Still think it's pretty damn cool. And Bono's hair has never looked better than it did in that movie.

I remember I was babysitting, it was 1 in the morning and I was watching VH1 Classic when R&H came on... around this time when I was just getting into U2's music...I had recently purchased Boy and was making my way up U2's discography (I believe I had just picked up TUF from the library).

So I figured I should watch it...and it was truly an eye opening experience! It was the first time I had ever watched U2 concert material outside of YouTube...

And when Bono gave the "Fuck The Revolution" speech, I was so moved by his anger and passion...from then on in I knew I was a U2 fan!

Back
Top Bottom