Why did you buy the uber deluxe box of achtung baby?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thinking...
still thinking about it...
thinking about it...
i think an uber penis enhancement is far better money spent.

Have "Made in Germany" stamped on my ___________________________________________

Because, you know, it's uber! :sexywink:

not getting it- am not a U2 collector and am not interrested in vinyl, copies of the Fly shades etc etc

haven't pre-ordered any version yet- it's alot of money for one cd of alternate takes on the album- not interested in remixes

Yeah, I think that's my reasoning on it also: it's a collector's item, and I'm not really a U2 collector per se. So I'm likening it to the hundreds of other "U2 collectibles" I don't spend loot on. :shrug:

I don't need all the fancy collectables. I just need the album itself to be perfectly happy. I just want it REMASTERED!!! It's OK now,and I'll have to live without, but it would be so damn nice.

I don't need all the fancy collectables. I just need the album itself to be perfectly happy. I just want it REMASTERED!!! It's OK now,and I'll have to live without, but it would be so damn nice.

I just have to ask, why is remastered version so much more desirable? What will the difference be? What is wrong with the original sound?

I rarely hear the difference between a song on mp3 file and cd, unless the mp3 is in a very compressed state.

Oh, those are curious questions from one who doesn't have a clue (I like how my old AB album sound and don't know what should be improved), it's not a rude challenge.

I felt that sybarite comforts such as eating on a weekly basis would only get in the way of my dream of owning pristine copies of every piece of shit U2 put their name on.

I just have to ask, why is remastered version so much more desirable? What will the difference be? What is wrong with the original sound?

I rarely hear the difference between a song on mp3 file and cd, unless the mp3 is in a very compressed state.

Oh, those are curious questions from one who doesn't have a clue (I like how my old AB album sound and don't know what should be improved), it's not a rude challenge.

Well it's ok if you like how it sounds, that's perfectly acceptable also! It's quite subjective.

Me, I feel Edge is a bit too far back in the mix and muddied. I'd like to hear him clearer. I might tweak the highs EVER so slightly on Bono's vocals. But I am by no means a master mixer, just what my ears want to hear. And those requests are more of a mixing thing than specific to the mastering process.

I can definitely hear the difference between anything lower than around 256 kbps mp3 and uncompressed audio. My hearing issues likely have to do with the fact that I don't hear much differences beyond that, but I know others that can spot them very easily.

You tell me. Do you have the remastered version of JT? Or any of the other remasters? Listen to say, Streets for example, and do this with headphones. Preferrably on an mp3 player. Or if you can use a high quality hifi set, that'd be great, but I assume you don't own that for now. Just listen to regular Streets and the remastered Streets back to back.

The difference is rather big if you pay attention to it.

You tell me. Do you have the remastered version of JT? Or any of the other remasters? Listen to say, Streets for example, and do this with headphones. Preferrably on an mp3 player. Or if you can use a high quality hifi set, that'd be great, but I assume you don't own that for now. Just listen to regular Streets and the remastered Streets back to back.

The difference is rather big if you pay attention to it.

I have no remastered versions yet, I haven't been collecting U2 for years and the later years I've bought my music on iTunes. Is it the Joshua Tree Deluxe version that is remastered? I tried to hear the difference between that version and the regular JT on iTunes store but can't hear any. An audiophile friend told me thought iTunes have some strange settings on songs that he always had to change. At the worst I can hear fizzing sounds like on a bad radio connection. The sound quality on iTunes seems to vary a lot even within the same album. :huh:
I gotta mention that my music equipment isn't the best I only listen to music on my iPod (with shitty earphones right now because the good ones died) and on my MacBook Pro laptop that has a decent sound for a laptop but not compared to a proper stereo of course.
Not all the iTunes files are mp3 and they seem to be from 4 mb and up.

Yeah, I want the sound quality improved. That's the only reason. Some songs really need it. With a proper remaster, you'd think these songs were recorded yesterday, not 20+ years ago.

I have no remastered versions yet, I haven't been collecting U2 for years and the later years I've bought my music on iTunes. Is it the Joshua Tree Deluxe version that is remastered? I tried to hear the difference between that version and the regular JT on iTunes store but can't hear any. An audiophile friend told me thought iTunes have some strange settings on songs that he always had to change. At the worst I can hear fizzing sounds like on a bad radio connection. The sound quality on iTunes seems to vary a lot even within the same album. :huh:
I gotta mention that my music equipment isn't the best I only listen to music on my iPod (with shitty earphones right now because the good ones died) and on my MacBook Pro laptop that has a decent sound for a laptop but not compared to a proper stereo of course.
Not all the iTunes files are mp3 and they seem to be from 4 mb and up.

Ah, you download your music from itunes. That explains plenty. All iTunes music is compressed, it isn't the exact same as a cd or high quality audio rips from the cd. That might explain why you can't hear the difference. :) Try downloading a FLAC version if you can, otherwise getting the cd would be the solution.
iPods have a decent sound, but the earbuds that come with them are shite. Laptops cannot produce enough bass to cover a wide sound, sadly.

I'm not buying any edition of the reissue/remaster unless they change the live show DVD and decide to include something else instead of Sydney.

Ah, you download your music from itunes. That explains plenty. All iTunes music is compressed, it isn't the exact same as a cd or high quality audio rips from the cd. That might explain why you can't hear the difference. :) Try downloading a FLAC version if you can, otherwise getting the cd would be the solution.
iPods have a decent sound, but the earbuds that come with them are shite. Laptops cannot produce enough bass to cover a wide sound, sadly.

I have a lot of cd rips (ripped with iTunes) and some flac files. I better sit down one day and properly listen and compare. I have some cheap Koss earbuds right now. I usually use Koss headphones which has quite a good bass-sound. I used to be addicted to heavy bass when I was a kid but found out I better had to stop turning it up all the time (no good for my ears and everyone around).
I did like my Creative mp3 player better than my iPod when it came to volume but I got used to my iPod and getting decent headphones helped of course.

I have to give Achtung Baby a throughout listen because right now I can't think of anything that bothers me with it.

I have to give Achtung Baby a throughout listen because right now I can't think of anything that bothers me with it.

I don't think there's anything on AB that specifically bothers. It's just that it could sound so much better with today's technology. I don't want them to edit things badly or alter stuff, just want to clear up the tracks a bit so the guitar and bass are more distinguishable.

I don't think there's anything on AB that specifically bothers. It's just that it could sound so much better with today's technology. I don't want them to edit things badly or alter stuff, just want to clear up the tracks a bit so the guitar and bass are more distinguishable.

I agree with this. And those that worry about them screwing up the "sound" of the record, I don't think it will. AB could just use a nice clarifying. I also would most certainly like to be able to distinguish between each instrument and each vocal. It would help to have a remaster. And if you don't like what they've done, well then you always got the original CD with the original mastering.

I am buying the über set - to quote George Mallory: 'Because it's there'.

I haven't preordered yet though as I'm waiting for a good price. Recently Amazon Canada had a good deal, around C$300 but that has gone now. Anyone seen any better than £268 on Amazon and HMV UK?

I am buying the über set - to quote George Mallory: 'Because it's there'.

I haven't preordered yet though as I'm waiting for a good price. Recently Amazon Canada had a good deal, around C$300 but that has gone now. Anyone seen any better than £268 on Amazon and HMV UK?

I pre-ordered from amazon.ca, knowing that I could cancel if something better came up. Looks like that was a good call.

Back
Top Bottom