Why did Discotheque die live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
Let me start by saying the point of this post is not to bash Discotheque at all. Infact, i love it. I was there at Toronto#4 marking out when it opened the encore.

However, it occurs to me that it has seemed to die a pre-mature death in the live show. Being that it was a hit 1st single (i DO relaize it wasnt anywhere near the highest charting 1st single U2's had), i expected that it was a guarentee for all future live shows, at least for the following 10 years.

Not only did this not happen, but it barely survived the 1st LEG of the following tour. Okay, so maybe it just didnt suit the format/theme of that specific tour. Well, then it was to appear a total of 2 times (toronto and chicago) in the NEXT tour (Vertigo), and nothing more but 2 lines snippeted during all of 360. Not at all what I would expect from an album's 1st single.

Most other 1st singles all are so deeply ingrained into fans hearts, that they will live on, in at least part of live show, forever. Songs like NYD, Pride, Wowy, Beautiful Day, Vertigo, will never fully be retired. (I do realize The Fly was kind of an expection- as it didnt surface on PopMart at all- but then it was resurrected for Elevation and Vertigo)

SO why did Discotheque seem to die such a quiet death in the live form? It held its place in the PopMart show for every show, so it obviously didnt lose love from the band mid-tour (like say, Breathe/Unknown Caller- being dropped mid-tour from the very tour of the album it was on). Then it appeared in a very limited set at the Astoria show in pre-Elevation. As Elevation tour opened, it was a mainstay for about the first month. To me, this showed intent on the band's behalf. It seemed that they did not have anything 'against' the song in general, and did envision it as something they wanted to continue with in the live format. After 1 month of Elevation shows, it then took about a month hiatus from Leg 1 following the Portland show. It came back for a handful of shows end of May, and then appeared for a handful in Europe for Leg 2. IMO, the fact that they kept going back to it during these concert legs shows that the problem was not that the song didnt 'fit' the theme/concept of the tour (cuz this would have been realized after the inital run of performances, why go back to trying it for 2 more different stretches?)

So this leaves me thinking that the crowd reactions are what led them to keep phasing this song out of the set. Its questionable as to which song from PoP had become the 'fan-favorite'. I dont mean which was thought of as 'best quality' song (which i think alot would vote Please), but i mean more, which song had become ingrained in the heads for sing-along type crowd reaction. IMO, that question comes down to Discotheque vs Staring at the Sun. Perhaps the band hunched that Discotheque was this song and tried adamently to make this song work at the beginning of Elevation tour, and after their final attempts (during Leg 2 in Europe), decided to give up on it all together. Interestingly at this time of dropping Disco (end of Leg 2- beginning of Leg 3), is when they switched over and started performing Staring at the Sun. Was this their 2nd attempt to give us a hit-single PoP repersentative, hoping it would catch on with Elevation crowds the way maybe Discotheque never did?

It always ends up being pointless to guess the band's intent, but i find it interesting to analyize this song's live genesis.

In short: Discotheque is simply inferior many U2 songs, especially live. That and the fact that U2 probably was less interested in playing such material.

In short: Discotheque is simply inferior many U2 songs, especially live. That and the fact that U2 probably was less interested in playing such material.

perhaps. but the fact that they kept going back to trying Discothque for 3 different stretches through out the first 2 legs of Elevation actually shows me they DID have interest in playing the song and getting it to work. IMO, the band had more interest in playing it then the crowd did in hearing it.

Well that's a good point. U2 should never be influenced to make music based upon what the audience wants, but when an album is 14 years old they should be playing the music that their fans want, not what they want to play.

Just my opinion on the matter, I've heard plenty of others as well.

Whether crowd or fan interest plays a role, I never did find it one of their strongest songs in a live environment. Definitely weaker than the album version, though I wouldn't mind hearing it live myself. Could be a fun treat.

Discotheque was a good song, and in the context of PopMart is was a fucking rockin' banger live.

In any other situation, though, especially the "sticky sweet, love-in, safe-fest" that is the 00s (aka the Death of IronyWave), it doesn't have any life live.

I was at that fourth Toronto show and I thought the crowd went nuts for it. Then again, I was probably too busy loving it myself. The version they played on Vertigo was most excellent, a shame the Edge didn't think it worked.

SO why did Discotheque seem to die such a quiet death in the live form?

Because by this time noone gives a shit if Discotechque was on the radio on '97 or they heard it while high at a club in '98, most everyone that's in a U2 audience nowadays just owns Pop and so stands there for the first minute and a half going:

"WTF is this shit AND WHY AREN'T THEY PLAYING DO YOU FEEL LOVED??!?! :angry: "

:wink:

Then again, I was probably too busy loving it myself.

For a split second I read that as "I was probably too busy loving myself"...some good shit, huh? ;)

But seriously...I agree..that version (Toronto 4) kicked ass. Really brought out the house/techno roots of the thing..I think I might even like it better than the Pop live version :up:

As mentioned above, Discotheque just doesn't work in a live setting without the irony. Just as Daddy's Gonna Pay doesn't work without MacPhisto and the Zoo bills raining down on the audience, Discotheque doesn't work without the mirrorball and spaceship lemon. Other than that, in general U2 likes to pretend that 1997 never happened, so songs that were absolutely awesome live like Please and Mofo and Last Night On Earth paid the price as well.

That jumped up Toronto version is fantastic, Pop Muzik intro and all, that's how it should be done. And each to their own - but I'd prefer Discotheque live over any of their 00s 'rockers', any and every night. I definitely do not think it requires 'irony' or mirror ball lemons or anything like that either. That's ridiculous.

Why they don't play it, for a mix of reasons I would think.

Firstly, they would put it in the loose 'energetic/rocker' box, and also sitting in that box are the 'must play all of' 00s singles, and the 'must play one or two of' Achtung songs and the 'must play one of' longer range classics, like I Will Follow. Given those compulsory picks, poor little Discotheque has a tough argument to make, for a setlist spot that is not really available anyway.

Secondly, given that they never seem to play twice the same way, its pretty obvious they haven't quite found their comfort zone with it. I think the way for Discotheque to both work and find a home away from that rocker box is to go with a jumped up/dance version similar to that Toronto version, but that's obviously either something they never were quite comfortable with, or haven't really given much consideration. Which is a shame - it would really work well on 360. Crazy Tonight>SBS works really well, and often such a sharp shift in style and mood (as that is) works brilliantly (as that does) but at the same time, Crazy Tonight>Jumped Up Discotheque keeping up the nightclub feel would be amazing too. And making a bit of a point too. It's not just playing instruments over a remix, but proper club-rock.

Thirdly, its one of those Alternate Universe U2 songs. I'm not really going to 'go there', but no, it doesn't quite fit on an all-embracing style U2 setlist. It would however fit like a glove in a different kind of U2 show. So no, play a run of, say, Vertigo/Elevation/Magnificent/Discotheque and its easy to see which is the odd one out, and easy to understand why some of what makes up the average punter at a huge U2 stadium gig, and even a lot of the fan base today, would think Discotheque is the obviously inferior song there. But there's a very different potential setlist 'out there'... that while highly, highly appealing to the faithful, and no doubt amazing as a gig, it wouldn't have the same wide "U218" reach (if you know what I mean), hence, never going to happen.

Crazy Tonight>SBS works really well, and often such a sharp shift in style and mood (as that is) works brilliantly (as that does) but at the same time, Crazy Tonight>Jumped Up Discotheque keeping up the nightclub feel would be amazing too. And making a bit of a point too. It's not just playing instruments over a remix, but proper club-rock.
This sounds amazing, especially considering how well a Discotheque remix would work with Crazy Tonight's visuals.

The real question is why did they stop playing Gone? That song should be played on every tour. It's a great rocker. They really must hate Pop to stop playing it completely. Even Zooropa, October and Passengers have gotten some love over the last couple of tours..but no Pop.

The real question is why did they stop playing Gone? That song should be played on every tour. It's a great rocker. They really must hate Pop to stop playing it completely. Even Zooropa, October and Passengers have gotten some love over the last couple of tours..but no Pop.
Fun experiment: Go back to the summer of 2009 and tell your past self that U2 will play Your Blue Room, Scarlet, Mercy, Ultraviolet, half a dozen unreleased songs, a techno remix of Crazy Tonight, Mothers Of The Disappeared, and Electrical Storm on the 360 Tour, but Pop is apparently too weird for them.

Bring a camera, as your expression will be priceless.

Fun experiment: Go back to the summer of 2009 and tell your past self that U2 will play Your Blue Room, Scarlet, Mercy, Ultraviolet, half a dozen unreleased songs, a techno remix of Crazy Tonight, Mothers Of The Disappeared, and Electrical Storm on the 360 Tour, but Pop is apparently too weird for them.

I thought anything was possible when Your Blue Room popped up. I thought wrong.

the vertigo version of discotheque fucking rocked, and for the life of me i don't understand why it was only played twice.

i'd also be quite happy if they ditched the crazy tonight remix and replaced it with discotheque, but i know that'll never happen.

I've said it once and I'll say it again. The Crazy Tonight remix drives me up the wall. Studio version or off! I'd much, much rather have discotheque.

I heard them rehearse it in Toronto, on the off day between the first and second show. They did that, and Mofo, but the latter wasn't nearly as finished and concert-ready as the former. So when they played it at the 4th show, I wasn't completely shocked, but I was thrilled nonetheless. I also saw it a few days later in Chicago.

I saw a GREAT run of shows on the 3rd leg of that tour. There were so many surprises, including the premiere of The First Time. Could have knocked me over with a feather, for that one. :up:

they should just play the damn thing the way they did 2 or 3 times during VErtigo tour. It was the best version ever and close to perfection live. To me it has its spot in any U2 concert if played that way.

Add in the TUF songs that U2 played on 360 and my expression would be one of pure joy. :drool: :cute:

"Pop" has some good material. "Discotheque", like GOYB, isn't really one of them. In fact, with U2 playing GOYB, why bother with "Discotheque"? There's already "Vertigo" in the set-list.

I would have preferred "Gone" or "Last Night on Earth" from "Pop". I would have settled - albeit reluctantly - for "Staring". But if U2 wanted to really rock out, "Mofo" was the way to go. Just not sure the lyrics quite work now as they were very personal and may no longer be quite applicable to Bono's life at present.

The other problem with Discotheque is it really is a jokey, throwaway number. If you think that track is serious and irony-free, you need to remove the stick from your ass.
I'd pick it over GOYB any day of the week (Boots is just garbage) but if you're going to play one, you may as well play the song from your latest album that you're promoting (which is Boots unfortunately).

Not really jokey and throwaway, more similar to Zoo Station in a way, in terms of its relationship to the rest of the album and how its pitched in comparison. But its also more lightweight because it was marked as a single early on, so its been worked deliberately in that direction. I think it hits a good middle ground between good single and good song that most of their post-Pop singles haven't. Problem was it was neither a great single or a great song, and they wanted/needed it to be both.

Count me in as someone who would love to see some PoP songs make a return to the show. I'd be more than happy to see Crazy Tonight, GOYB replaced by GONE, LNOE, MOFO, or Do You Feel Loved.

It was a GREAT opening to the Zoo encore of the Vertigo tour. Other than that, I'm not sure where it would have fit into the show the past two tours in a way where you wouldn't say "whoa, they stuck Discotheque in there!"

I think the only way Discotheque could fit in the current 360 set is right after Crazy Tonight Remix. But then you got the whole thing with Vertigo having just been played two songs before.

I doubt they will play Disco on 360. I think the closest thing we'll get to POP on this tour is the possibility of Staring At The Sun taking a slot around where In A Little While has been.

My POP wishlist just has Last Night On Earth, MOFO, and Gone on it. Play one of those gems and I'll be happy forever.

I really think they should do what they did on Popmart and do a LNOE>UTEOTW thing, cause that would be fantastic.
Even better?

Last Night On Earth
Until The End Of the World
Gone
Elevation

Blast us with a bunch of rockers right before the stripped down set.

I think the only way Discotheque could fit in the current 360 set is right after Crazy Tonight Remix. But then you got the whole thing with Vertigo having just been played two songs before.

so? Vertigo and Discotheque are nowhere near the same song.

I doubt they will play Disco on 360. I think the closest thing we'll get to POP on this tour is the possibility of Staring At The Sun taking a slot around where In A Little While has been.

My POP wishlist just has Last Night On Earth, MOFO, and Gone on it. Play one of those gems and I'll be happy forever.

I really think they should do what they did on Popmart and do a LNOE>UTEOTW thing, cause that would be fantastic.
Even better?

Last Night On Earth
Until The End Of the World
Gone
Elevation

Blast us with a bunch of rockers right before the stripped down set.

I'd cream myself even if I heard that on a bootleg

TheEdge25 said:

Yeah, a rock band play two songs with guitars non-sequentially? Thank God you're in charge.

Back
Top Bottom