Why are U2 so hated?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also think another part of the reason people hate U2 is a lack of understanding of how good JT and AB were and as a live act they were then at their top. For the past 20 years the only memorable songs that they have come out with that younger fans may recognize are Beautiful Day and Vertigo.

To many people that haven't been on this earth for very long look at U2 and Bono strutting around calling themselves the "Biggest Band on the Planet" but have two real radio hits to their name in the past 20 years, I can see how people that don't understand them and hate their guts. It makes perfect sense to me.

I think people feel they are very over-rated and are sick of hearing about them. The hype doesn't equal the out-put to many people out there. If they weren't so vocal about themselves and refering to themselves as such great artists there wouldn't be such a push back.

U2 does not get alto of hype and attention with the exception of lately. A lot of people do not agree with the political side of them

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference Joanne

To many people that haven't been on this earth for very long look at U2 and Bono strutting around calling themselves the "Biggest Band on the Planet" but have two real radio hits to their name in the past 20 years, I can see how people that don't understand them and hate their guts. It makes perfect sense to me.

I'm sorry but when did U2 and/or Bono go around saying: We're the biggest band on the planet? As far as I know it's mainly the U2-friendly media that calls them that. I think U2 pretty much know that they're not.

I know there is people who might have said some form of this sentence (and I don't feel like reading this entire thread up to my entry) but I wanted to say this part:

I think the reason why people hate U2 is part over saturation, part irritation at their antics (both on and off the stage).

I'm sorry but when did U2 and/or Bono go around saying: We're the biggest band on the planet? As far as I know it's mainly the U2-friendly media that calls them that. I think U2 pretty much know that they're not.

Bono did. "we've come to apply for the position of the biggest band in the world." or something similar during ATYCLB promo tour. Then again on 360 he said the same thing that they were, in fact, the biggest band on the planet.

Bono did. "we've come to apply for the position of the biggest band in the world." or something similar during ATYCLB promo tour. Then again on 360 he said the same thing that they were, in fact, the biggest band on the planet.
Maybe he should have gone around saying they were more popular than Jesus.

That's fine to say, right?

That's saying it with style.

This is Bono being Bono.

I don't hate them... but i can't stand their recents in spectacular style album launch (superbowl, apple..), especially when the album or song in question is not spectacular at all.:|

The hype doesn't equal the out-put to many people out there.

This is what it all boils down to for the public at large in recent years I think. A lot of the younger people I work with simply didn't understand all the hype for SOI considering the last time this band was super famous they weren't even teenagers and are now college graduates.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

This is what it all boils down to for the public at large in recent years I think. A lot of the younger people I work with simply didn't understand all the hype for SOI considering the last time this band was super famous they weren't even teenagers and are now college graduates.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Because once you reach legendary status, you will always be a legend, i think. U2 became legends pretty early on in their career. But their career has lasted longer than probably anyone had anticipated. Had they broken up or died off in the late 90's or early 00's, most of the general public would probably adore them.

The Beatles are the most over rated band in music history, and U2 is right up there with them - even though I love both of these bands they are still over rated.

As far as being the biggest "band" in the world going by record sales U2 would still be in the top 3 bands in the world from 2000-2010.

The Beatles are the most over rated band in music history, and U2 is right up there with them - even though I love both of these bands they are still over rated.

As far as being the biggest "band" in the world going by record sales U2 would still be in the top 3 bands in the world from 2000-2010.

Beatles overrated!! I doubt it. U2 overrated? Never

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference Joanne

I've been a U2 fan since the late 80s, and even I sort-of hate them now, so I get it.

I still like their music, even though they almost never release anything nowadays, and when they do it's invariably an over-calculated, over-cooked 'studio' album. This problem started with Pop and hasn't been fixed.

And obviously it's not "them" (the 4 guys) that I hate. They're all decent fellows and I respect and like them as individuals (and I really respect that they're still willing to work with each other after all this time).

What I hate (bit of a strong word) is the way they manage their career and the way they publicize themselves.

I absolutely loved the way they managed their career and the way they publicized themselves in the 80s.

At the end of the day it's music I care about, not the band's media profile, so whatever. But it's very, very easy for me to imagine why people younger than me (I'm 38) hate U2. I can totally see that. Quite frankly, I would probably hate them too if I were 26.

Unfortunately, the reason for the change in the way they manage their career and profile from the 80s to today is largely down to the fact they they have an evidently pathological need to be 'big' in mass media, the United States, and mainstream culture in general. They simply cannot tolerate the idea of their selling records and tickets to a mere 5,000,000 strong core audience of devotees when they could be playing to 60,000 people a night, 90% of whom have never heard more than three of their albums.

To some people (myself probably included), there is always going to be a perceived contradiction between the sorts of things the band sings about and professes to value and the incessant desire they have for mainstream acceptance. Therefore, I'm imagining that if I were a dozen years younger and had first encountered them in say, 1998 or 2000, I would probably consider them overblown dinosaurs.

Great post, Panther. I agree with most of it. If I were say, 10 or 15 years younger, I would probably hate them too. But there are too many nostalgic teenage memories associated with Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Pop, Joshua Tree and Rattle & Hum for me to hate them outright. But Bono makes it very easy to hate on them.

U2 don't fit into that good old (and stupid) rock'n'roll cliché. As Bono said in the Rolling Stone interview, people hate the fact that the four founding members of this band are still in the same band, that they are friends with each other, happily married and love their wives, that they are still alive and not dead or dying, no scandals, no drugs, no "being famous just for the sake of being famous". And that they are clever enough to take part of their own business. You may agree or not agree with the way they're handling their career, but U2 must be doing something right to keep the public talking and to polarize people so much. And yes, there's a lot of contradiction about this band and Bono in particular, he acknowledges that as well. That's what gets me interested in people. Most of us want to fit everything into a certain drawer because it's easier to handle things and makes it more comfortable, but U2 refuse to fit into one box, so that's irritating.

That's what gets me interested in people.

But the thing is - you don't know these people. You just don't. You know from what you read about them in the interviews or in the press. Hardly enough to go to all these ridiculous conclusions about their character you try so hard to make.

I've been a U2 fan since the late 80s, and even I sort-of hate them now, so I get it.

I still like their music, even though they almost never release anything nowadays, and when they do it's invariably an over-calculated, over-cooked 'studio' album. This problem started with Pop and hasn't been fixed.

And obviously it's not "them" (the 4 guys) that I hate. They're all decent fellows and I respect and like them as individuals (and I really respect that they're still willing to work with each other after all this time).

What I hate (bit of a strong word) is the way they manage their career and the way they publicize themselves.

I absolutely loved the way they managed their career and the way they publicized themselves in the 80s.

At the end of the day it's music I care about, not the band's media profile, so whatever. But it's very, very easy for me to imagine why people younger than me (I'm 38) hate U2. I can totally see that. Quite frankly, I would probably hate them too if I were 26.

Unfortunately, the reason for the change in the way they manage their career and profile from the 80s to today is largely down to the fact they they have an evidently pathological need to be 'big' in mass media, the United States, and mainstream culture in general. They simply cannot tolerate the idea of their selling records and tickets to a mere 5,000,000 strong core audience of devotees when they could be playing to 60,000 people a night, 90% of whom have never heard more than three of their albums.

To some people (myself probably included), there is always going to be a perceived contradiction between the sorts of things the band sings about and professes to value and the incessant desire they have for mainstream acceptance. Therefore, I'm imagining that if I were a dozen years younger and had first encountered them in say, 1998 or 2000, I would probably consider them overblown dinosaurs.

Yea... Your points are all 100% valid. And while their megalomania doesn't make me hate them, it certainly does annoy the shit out of me from time to time.

I wouldn't say U2 are overrated. I'm always seeing U2 below or not even mentioned in lists with the beatles, pink floyd, led zeppelin, rolling stones, the who, ac/dc, queen, etc.

U2 don't fit into that good old (and stupid) rock'n'roll cliché. As Bono said in the Rolling Stone interview, people hate the fact that the four founding members of this band are still in the same band, that they are friends with each other, happily married and love their wives, that they are still alive and not dead or dying, no scandals, no drugs, no "being famous just for the sake of being famous". And that they are clever enough to take part of their own business. You may agree or not agree with the way they're handling their career, but U2 must be doing something right to keep the public talking and to polarize people so much.

People hate U2 because it's the four original members? Nobody hates ZZ Top for that reason.

People hate them because they're friends? Nobody hated REM for that reason.

People hate them because they're happily married? Nobody hates Bowie for that.

They hate them because they're not dead? People still love Pearl Jam, and they're all alive.

People hate them because they're not famous for being famous? I wonder how the Beatles escaped that curse.

People hate them because they're clever enough to take care of their own business? Funny how people don't hate Damon Albarn for that.

People hate America for its freedom. I wonder how Canada avoided that fate.

They keep people talking and polarize people, so they must be doing something right. Just like ISIS

Panther summed up why people hate U2 pretty well, and it's got nothing to do with Bono's George W Bush style logic. If this U2 was the one I encountered instead of ZOO TV I probably wouldn't like them either.

People hate U2 because it's the four original members? Nobody hates ZZ Top for that reason.

People hate them because they're friends? Nobody hated REM for that reason.

People hate them because they're happily married? Nobody hates Bowie for that.

They hate them because they're not dead? People still love Pearl Jam, and they're all alive.

People hate them because they're not famous for being famous? I wonder how the Beatles escaped that curse.

People hate them because they're clever enough to take care of their own business? Funny how people don't hate Damon Albarn for that.

People hate America for its freedom. I wonder how Canada avoided that fate.

They keep people talking and polarize people, so they must be doing something right. Just like ISIS

You just described a list of bands/artist who aren't really in the public eye anymore like U2.

You just described a list of bands/artist who aren't really in the public eye anymore like U2.

And there's probably 80% of the answer to the thread title.

People get tired of the same thing being front and center. People start to hate sports teams that always win... why? Because everybody outside of their fan base wants to see somebody else win. Do you think anybody wants to see the Cardinals in another NLCS/World Series besides St. Louis fans, or the Giants win another World Series outside of San Francisco? Pretty sure everybody not in SF was rooting for the Royals to win the World Series this year. Or the Spurs win another NBA title outside of San Antonio?

It's just part of how things go. Music is a bit different from sports, sure. But when you're going around trying to be the biggest and best, you're going to piss people off, and I'm sure U2 are well aware of that, and have been for the last 15-25 years.

South Park simplified things a bit for everybody. Stan just kindly asks Bono who has everything to let somebody else be No. 1 and the best. That's just pretty much it.

U2 want to be the best and biggest and most well known band. It just comes with the territory now; as does pissing people off. And really, who cares?

And there's probably 80% of the answer to the thread title.

People get tired of the same thing being front and center.

Yeah, that's why people hate U2. They're always shoving themselves in everyone's faces and people are tired of it. It's got nothing to do with any of the absurd reasons Bono presents, which amounts to "people hate America for its freedom."

Bowie, Albarn, and Pearl Jam are very much in the public eye, but that's neither here nor there. REM may no longer exist, but in 2011 did people hate them for being friends? Do people hate Damon Albarn for managing his business well? Of course not. Even the suggestion is absurd, just as it is for U2. Well, people do think U2 are sell-out corporate shills and tax evaders, so maybe people do hate them for their business tendencies.

U2 don't fit into that good old (and stupid) rock'n'roll cliché. As Bono said in the Rolling Stone interview, people hate the fact that the four founding members of this band are still in the same band, that they are friends with each other, happily married and love their wives, that they are still alive and not dead or dying, no scandals, no drugs, no "being famous just for the sake of being famous".

Yeah, no one hates U2 for those reasons.

People hate U2 generally for a few reasons based on my discussions.

1. They don't believe musicians should be involved in politics or extreme activism, and don't believe U2/Bono puts his own cash where his mouth is.
2. They don't like the megalomania of the band and especially Bono.
3. U2's ego rubs them the wrong way.

It's actually quite laughable to suggest that people hate U2 because they're "happily married" or "still friends" or they're animal lovers or vegetarians or whatever. In my experience, nobody gives a flying fig about any of those things. Imposing their "hugeness" using every available avenue and tool at their disposal is what has made them thoroughly disliked by the general public imo. The iTunes fiasco just confirmed in peoples' minds the impression they already had of them - megalomaniacal wankers who don't know when (or how) to quit. And Bono doesn't help U2 with the groan-inducing proclamations he's been dispensing in this century: "We're re-applying for the job of best band in the world!" (2000). "How embarrassing would it be for everyone else if in five years time we were still the best band in the world?" (2004). "There are only four people in the world who are writing songs as great as we are, and I probably know all of them" (2014). Bono seems to revel in the the fact he's so polarizing and talked about as an almighty king of the tools. For some reason he seems to think this is a good thing for U2. I find that logic completely baffling.

The iTunes fiasco just confirmed in peoples' minds the impression they already had of them - megalomaniacal wankers who don't know when (or how) to quit.

And Bono doesn't help U2 with the groan-inducing proclamations he's been dispensing in this century: "We're re-applying for the job of best band in the world!" (2000). "How embarrassing would it be for everyone else if in five years time we were still the best band in the world?" (2004). "There are only four people in the world who are writing songs as great as we are, and I probably know all of them" (2014).

If what you say is true -about the general public- why so many people were asking "who is U2" around the time of release?

About Bono's quotes I remember the first one, but I don't see it as bad as you, anyone should aspire to be the best at their work... Or not? :sexywink: do you go to your work thinking "I'm going to be mediocre"?

I don't remember the second one, can you give me a link (just bored, need new stuff to read).

Back
Top Bottom