Whoa, I like Millennial U2 Best??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snowlock

Refugee
Was in my car the other day and I had created a playlist of U2's Millennial singles and I realized that song for song, I was enjoy this period more than I was either the 80's or the 90's, and that kind of surprised me!

I started as a fan in 1987, when I happened to be watching MTV and the splashed a notice across the screen of a world premier video, and it was With or Without You and I was hooked from that minute. I knew about them prior, remembering the cool post-apocalyptic images of the NYD video and the flag waving of the SBS Red Rocks video. But I cooled on them with TUF album. Pride did not appeal to me and I never saw Bad or TUF played on MTV. They kind of melted into the background then with other new wave acts like the Police, Tears for Fears or Duran Duran. But man WOWY was so different, and the album when I finally got it later slayed me. There was nothing like JT released anywhere. But then Rattle and Hum came out and I loved it of course, but never like JT, and like everyone else, thought the movie kind of sucked; but I wasn't into watching live music much on television... I missed RH in the theater, it only played for a week, and well, VHS wasn't exactly immersive. I like RH the film much more now than I ever did then.

HATED AB when it came out. It was so different; I wanted JT II! But grew to love it. Not so much with Zooropa, I still to this day don't think much of that; or Passengers, and while Pop did finally grow on me a bit, it wouldn't make a desert island of 5 albums or less. Okay maybe it would but just barely.

And that's what I was reflecting on with their 2000 and on stuff. Nothing compares to the high that was JT and then the near perfection of AB. But all the rest of those periods don't do it as well for me. Whereas the Millennial stuff seems to be more consistent for me. Beautiful Day is my favorite U2 song of any period, and even though I'm sick of it, I still love it the best. Add in Kite, Walk On, COBL, Vertigo, NLOTH 2, Winter, The Miracle, EBW, yes; Stand Up Comedy (I'm a rock guy at heart), Electrical Storm (Band Version), WITS, Mercy, Invisible... Even though every album is flawed and there's so real filler in them, I still find more to like on them song for song, than any from the 80's or 90's (except JT and AB); and I thought that was odd considering how long I've been a fan. So I thought I'd share that. lol. My Millennial playlist:

01) BD
02) Electrical Storm (Band Version)
03) The Miracle
04) Vertigo
05) NLOTH 2
06) TGBHF
07) Kite (Live - WITS Single)
08) Fez-BB
09) EBW
10) Ordinary Love
11) SUC
12) Crumbs
14) OOTS
15) Crazy Tonight
16) Invisible (Red Edit)
17) COBL
18) WITS
19) Winter (Linear)
20) Iris
21) Walk On
22) Yahweh
23) Mercy

The 80s had such a wealth of classic U2 tracks that IMO that decade can never be surpassed.
The overall quality of their output 2000 and beyond has however been excellent.

Huh. Well there you go. Each to their own I suppose. There is a joyousness in their music since 2000 that isn't there in the early days, and I can get how someone would connect with that. For me there is no comparison to 80s or 90s (of which i can't split for quality - 80s pips 90s due to volume of said quality), but the diversity of this band shows that people can be won in by just about anything in their catalogue.

Good on you for having the balls to admit that here.

Cheers for you. I like a lot of 00's U2 and I don't enjoy stacking periods against each other; for me there are unique joys in each. I also love some of your choices like ES, TGBHF and Kite. There's a lot to love out there about this band.

I love the 80's and 90's and am mixed with everything after though there still are some fantastic tunes.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

01) BD
03) The Miracle
04) Vertigo
05) NLOTH 2
06) TGBHF
08) Fez-BB
09) EBW
10) Ordinary Love
11) SUC
12) Crumbs
14) OOTS
15) Crazy Tonight
16) Invisible (Red Edit)
17) COBL
18) WITS
19) Winter (Linear)
20) Iris
21) Walk On
22) Yahweh
23) Mercy

I would not buy a ticket to this gig.

I don't know why there always seem to be the necessity here to chose one U2 era or decade over another. It's always a competition. I refuse to, I embrace them as a band with everything they've done throughout their career. If I thought they stopped being great at some point in the 90s, I wouldn't be here today, calling myself a fan. I'd just moved on. There is good stuff and not so good stuff from the band in every decade. And personally, there's a lot of more recent music from them that I actually do enjoy very much. I listen to their 00 stuff and to their 80s or 90s stuff for different reasons.

I don't know why there always seem to be the necessity here to chose one U2 era or decade over another. It's always a competition. I refuse to, I embrace them as a band with everything they've done throughout their career. If I thought they stopped being great at some point in the 90s, I wouldn't be here today, calling myself a fan. I'd just moved on. There is good stuff and not so good stuff from the band in every decade. And personally, there's a lot of more recent music from them that I actually do enjoy very much. I listen to their 00 stuff and to their 80s or 90s stuff for different reasons.

I couldn't agree more. I mean...it's actually possible to like and be critical of all eras at the same time.

Was in my car the other day and I had created a playlist of U2's Millennial singles and I realized that song for song, I was enjoy this period more than I was either the 80's or the 90's, and that kind of surprised me!

I started as a fan in 1987, when I happened to be watching MTV and the splashed a notice across the screen of a world premier video, and it was With or Without You and I was hooked from that minute. I knew about them prior, remembering the cool post-apocalyptic images of the NYD video and the flag waving of the SBS Red Rocks video. But I cooled on them with TUF album. Pride did not appeal to me and I never saw Bad or TUF played on MTV. They kind of melted into the background then with other new wave acts like the Police, Tears for Fears or Duran Duran. But man WOWY was so different, and the album when I finally got it later slayed me. There was nothing like JT released anywhere. But then Rattle and Hum came out and I loved it of course, but never like JT, and like everyone else, thought the movie kind of sucked; but I wasn't into watching live music much on television... I missed RH in the theater, it only played for a week, and well, VHS wasn't exactly immersive. I like RH the film much more now than I ever did then.

HATED AB when it came out. It was so different; I wanted JT II! But grew to love it. Not so much with Zooropa, I still to this day don't think much of that; or Passengers, and while Pop did finally grow on me a bit, it wouldn't make a desert island of 5 albums or less. Okay maybe it would but just barely.

And that's what I was reflecting on with their 2000 and on stuff. Nothing compares to the high that was JT and then the near perfection of AB. But all the rest of those periods don't do it as well for me. Whereas the Millennial stuff seems to be more consistent for me. Beautiful Day is my favorite U2 song of any period, and even though I'm sick of it, I still love it the best. Add in Kite, Walk On, COBL, Vertigo, NLOTH 2, Winter, The Miracle, EBW, yes; Stand Up Comedy (I'm a rock guy at heart), Electrical Storm (Band Version), WITS, Mercy, Invisible... Even though every album is flawed and there's so real filler in them, I still find more to like on them song for song, than any from the 80's or 90's (except JT and AB); and I thought that was odd considering how long I've been a fan. So I thought I'd share that. lol. My Millennial playlist:

01) BD

03) The Miracle

04) Vertigo

05) NLOTH 2

06) TGBHF

08) Fez-BB

09) EBW

10) Ordinary Love

11) SUC

12) Crumbs

14) OOTS

15) Crazy Tonight

16) Invisible (Red Edit)

17) COBL

18) WITS

19) Winter (Linear)

20) Iris

21) Walk On

22) Yahweh

23) Mercy

They definitely have their share of clunkers in the 2000's but for the most part, I'm with you.

80's were excellent
90's were very good but if you remove AB, I find the rest to be very forgettable.
2000+ are very good

Some of the songs on your list I really dislike but others are some of my all time favorites.

Yeah, I'm with you in this, 2000+ has been very good.

If you dislike Zooropa or Pop, you probably don't like Ok Computer or Kid A either. Nothing wrong with that. You prefer more traditional songwriting. But with U2 I find that they did traditional much better in the 80s and on Achtung Baby than on anything after the year 2000.

If you dislike Zooropa or Pop, you probably don't like Ok Computer or Kid A either. Nothing wrong with that. You prefer more traditional songwriting. But with U2 I find that they did traditional much better in the 80s and on Achtung Baby than on anything after the year 2000.

I fall into this bucket and do agree that the 80s lyrics were better as a whole than the 90's. There are quite a few "interesting" lyrics in the 2000 and SUC alone is a song full of them

All eras of U2 are excellent, and like them all. They are just different, which is part of the brilliance of this band. Liking one over another is just a matter of taste.

There's just a subset of fan here that can't compliment X U2 without slamming Y U2. Hence the 'I love SOI' with the 'NLOTH sucks' qualifier.

interesting thread. It would be interesting to see the playlist of the 00's from other users...

My playlist of the 00's would be:

1) Vertigo, (3:11)
2) No Line on the Horizon (4:12)
3) Moment of Surrender (7:24)
4) The Ground Beneath Her Feet (because in some countries it was there) (3:44)
5) Fast Cars, (3:43)
6) Cedars of Lebanon (4:13)

yeah, a mini-gig. :)

I think they've been very consistent through-out, well, basically their entire career, and 2000 and onwards is no different. I think all the different eras have had their fair share of clunkers, but also some real classics and highlights.

It does contain Bomb, my (just behind Boy) least favourite U2-album, but I like all the other albums.

01) BD
03) The Miracle
04) Vertigo
05) NLOTH 2
06) TGBHF
08) Fez-BB
09) EBW
10) Ordinary Love
11) SUC
12) Crumbs
14) OOTS
15) Crazy Tonight
16) Invisible (Red Edit)
17) COBL
18) WITS
19) Winter (Linear)
20) Iris
21) Walk On
22) Yahweh
23) Mercy

+1

Newest album nearly seals the deal.

I LOVE ATYCLB and SOI, and I like HTDAAB and NLOTH quite a bit. Also throw in stuff like Mercy, flower child, summer rain, TGBHF, electrical storm, window in the skies, ordinary love, etc, and you've got a pretty good body of work there. Most bands would kill for that kind of material.

Maybe I am a sheep for liking everything U2, does... But I'm a happy sheep. I'm a completist by nature. Once I get into a band I go all in. I need to absorb every deep cut and b-side, for example. Sure, U2 have a few songs I don't like, but I still have them and oddly enough, still listen to them now and then. One of the greatest experiences I've had with music was discovering all the old REM albums, and realizing there was a much richer history there than the greatest hits.

I find about half a dozen songs from their 00s output to be legitimately good/great songs. Six songs in almost 15 years. Compare that to their first fifteen years (1980-1995) and, yeah, it's been pretty dire of late imho. Seems like the guys have been stuck in the same mindset since 2000 of writing "timeless classics that can be played on acoustic guitars around campfires in twenty years time blah blah blah". Whatever. Everything up to and including Pop has never aged for me. I already find the SOI songs sounding tired and labored.

I find about half a dozen songs from their 00s output to be legitimately good/great songs. Six songs in almost 15 years. Compare that to their first fifteen years (1980-1995) and, yeah, it's been pretty dire of late imho. Seems like the guys have been stuck in the same mindset since 2000 of writing "timeless classics that can be played on acoustic guitars around campfires in twenty years time blah blah blah". Whatever. Everything up to and including Pop has never aged for me. I already find the SOI songs sounding tired and labored.

The more you try to write a timeless classic, the less likely you are to actually write a timeless classic. It's a shame U2 haven't quite realised this.

To those of you who don't agree, no sweat. To each their own.

To those of you putting down my opinion:

FUCK YOU, haters.

The more you try to write a timeless classic, the less likely you are to actually write a timeless classic. It's a shame U2 haven't quite realised this.

Somewhere along the line, the Beatles (indirectly) did a number on U2. On their headspace. I can't quite understand why because they really have very, very little in common, as artists.

of course they have. they're the first to point out how their greatest songs are those that arrive out of nowhere.

No kidding.

If I had my way, anyone who actually held the view of the OP would be banned from this forum with their posts immediately eradicated from view.

Back
Top Bottom