Who was the inspiration for the song “one”?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheShootist

The Fly
Whoever it was must hate hearing that song every time it comes on. Most people do not realize that almost every song that is written, is written about somebody, and that somebody must cringe every time it they here it get played, unless it is a flattering song.

Well there's about 4 or 5 different stories floating around, one of the most common being that it's about the band and a somewhat tumultuous time they were going through.

Well there's about 4 or 5 different stories floating around, one of the most common being that it's about the band and a somewhat tumultuous time they were going through.

The part about playing Jesus sounds like a "Dylan" type of play on words where they are half talking about themselves and somebody else, but the rest of it is specifically about somebody.

It was probably not one specific inspiration, but rather a combination of the band's uncertain future, the uniting Germany, and the note that Bono wrote to the Dalai Lama declining an invite to a festival called Oneness.

and the note that Bono wrote to the Dalai Lama declining an invite to a festival called Oneness.

I've always been intersted in where this story came from. I've never actually seen the interview where he states this, it's all over the internet on song meaning website, but it's always the same exact quote and no one sites a source. But I've also heard it's a rumor started by a "christian" group that thought Bono was getting a little too "universalist".

There was the story that the ‘voice’ is a gay son, dying of AIDS, talking to his estranged father who disapproved of the sons sexuality and life, hiding behind religion, and is now trying to make last minute amends at the death bed – and so the son, and song, swings between reconciliation and anger. I can’t remember whether that came from Bono, the band, someone close or around, or just someone’s translation, but that’s what I’ve always thought from waaay back when. Something I must have read at the time, not someone’s musings on the internet. The lyrics make perfect sense in that context. Some of it is very accusatory, some very much reaching for common ground. You say this, you say that, did you come here for this, did you come here for that, but put all that aside, because in the end we’re one.

I think the band breakup story is less about the true lyrical inspiration or meaning (I mean, apart from literally the “we’re one, but not the same, get to carry each other” lines, none of it works in that context) and more in hindsight, Bono and his divine intervention in the studio talk – a song about ‘uniting’ arriving at a time when the band needed to unite, turning around the Achtung recording in the process, bringing them back together etc (as opposed to Bono writing it with that in mind from the beginning).

Truth is, like most of their songs, there’s probably multiple threads running through his head as he was writing it, or multiple takes on different subjects jumbled together to work with a final product.

And of course then Mary J Blige tore it all to shreds. :angry:

Actually it's a shame they did the MJB version and that the live version has become such a dull, every night, almost just a drag. It's a brilliant song, one of their finest, and if they'd left it on the shelf more often than not, rather than just belting through it every single night, it wouldn't get anywhere near the contempt it often receives around here. The boredom and contempt is understood, but it didn't have to be that way. They've kind of buried it themselves.

I've always been intersted in where this story came from. I've never actually seen the interview where he states this, it's all over the internet on song meaning website, but it's always the same exact quote and no one sites a source. But I've also heard it's a rumor started by a "christian" group that thought Bono was getting a little too "universalist".

It's in U2 by U2, page 221.

There was the story that the ‘voice’ is a gay son, dying of AIDS, talking to his estranged father who disapproved of the sons sexuality and life, hiding behind religion, and is now trying to make last minute amends at the death bed – and so the son, and song, swings between reconciliation and anger. I can’t remember whether that came from Bono, the band, someone close or around, or just someone’s translation, but that’s what I’ve always thought from waaay back when. Something I must have read at the time, not someone’s musings on the internet. The lyrics make perfect sense in that context. Some of it is very accusatory, some very much reaching for common ground. You say this, you say that, did you come here for this, did you come here for that, but put all that aside, because in the end we’re one.

I think the band breakup story is less about the true lyrical inspiration or meaning (I mean, apart from literally the “we’re one, but not the same, get to carry each other” lines, none of it works in that context) and more in hindsight, Bono and his divine intervention in the studio talk – a song about ‘uniting’ arriving at a time when the band needed to unite, turning around the Achtung recording in the process, bringing them back together etc (as opposed to Bono writing it with that in mind from the beginning).

Truth is, like most of their songs, there’s probably multiple threads running through his head as he was writing it, or multiple takes on different subjects jumbled together to work with a final product.

And of course then Mary J Blige tore it all to shreds. :angry:

Actually it's a shame they did the MJB version and that the live version has become such a dull, every night, almost just a drag. It's a brilliant song, one of their finest, and if they'd left it on the shelf more often than not, rather than just belting through it every single night, it wouldn't get anywhere near the contempt it often receives around here. The boredom and contempt is understood, but it didn't have to be that way. They've kind of buried it themselves.

Awesome post:up: Especially the last alinea. I feel the same way about the way the band kind of treated the song.

I've heard this story too and I always listen to the song in that context.

Earnie is spot on.

I love "One". The thing that pushes it from very good to amazing is the "get" in "We get to carry each other" -- i.e., it's our priviledge, not our duty, and it's a kind of reward in itself.

That's the key point distinguishing the lyric from some hippy, communal thing. I believe the 80s, "preachier" U2 might have sang "you have to" or "we have to", making the "get to" -- in the context of a conversational lyric -- a different, more personal touch (which is characteristic of the whole Achtung album, and made it really feel different from 80s U2 at the time).

Awesome post:up: Especially the last alinea. I feel the same way about the way the band kind of treated the song.

I don't. :down:

I don't think U2 "tear through the song" every night or treat it poorly. Having seen four U2 shows this tour, I can say that some were as inspirational as the ZOO TV days.

The MJB version was awful, IMO. She took this pleading, heart-wrenching song, that Bono purposely sang with a scratchy, broken voice to add more depth, into a song filled with vocal acrobatics and "diva-ness". It just didn't work. This is NOT a gospel song. She wants to belt out "I Still Haven't Found..." go for it. But not "One".

However, U2 haven't mistreated the song in that capacity.

The fans here - and this DOES include me - are a bit bored of the song the same way we are bored of "Pride" and other staples. We've heard the song again and again and again. It's a great song, and U2 have given it lots of meaning by associating it with charities, but most of us would rather hear another song at this point. U2 seemed to have dropped "Pride" for the most part this tour. It will be great if they also retired or at least semi-retired "One" - at least for a little while.

As for the meaning of the song...

I think originally it was inspired by U2's transition at the time (from JT to AB).

I also think it was inspired by the dissolution of Edge's marriage (as were many songs on AB).

Fans later gave the song the AIDS meaning, and Bono agreed. I definitely recalled reading this back in '92 and I think he even said it in some interview. However, this was not the original meaning, but one interpretation that Bono liked.

Larry has argued that one aspect he loves of Bono's lyrics is that they can have many interpretations. And for that reason, the band rarely talk about what a song is truly about, preferring to have fans have their own interpretations. That said, Bono has at times talked about what a song is concerning or inspired by (such as "New Year's Day"), but even then, his lyrics often take on other possibilities.

The multiple videos also suggest numerous interpretations. So I do not believe this song was about any single person or event, but a combination of items. That unversitality is what makes the song so powerful and one of Bono's best in terms of lyrics.

Still, I could do without a performance on every tour. ;)

I don't. :down:

I don't think U2 "tear through the song" every night or treat it poorly. Having seen four U2 shows this tour, I can say that some were as inspirational as the ZOO TV days.

The MJB version was awful, IMO. She took this pleading, heart-wrenching song, that Bono purposely sang with a scratchy, broken voice to add more depth, into a song filled with vocal acrobatics and "diva-ness". It just didn't work. This is NOT a gospel song. She wants to belt out "I Still Haven't Found..." go for it. But not "One".

However, U2 haven't mistreated the song in that capacity.

The fans here - and this DOES include me - are a bit bored of the song the same way we are bored of "Pride" and other staples. We've heard the song again and again and again. It's a great song, and U2 have given it lots of meaning by associating it with charities, but most of us would rather hear another song at this point. U2 seemed to have dropped "Pride" for the most part this tour. It will be great if they also retired or at least semi-retired "One" - at least for a little while.

As for the meaning of the song...

I think originally it was inspired by U2's transition at the time (from JT to AB).

I also think it was inspired by the dissolution of Edge's marriage (as were many songs on AB).

Fans later gave the song the AIDS meaning, and Bono agreed. I definitely recalled reading this back in '92 and I think he even said it in some interview. However, this was not the original meaning, but one interpretation that Bono liked.

Larry has argued that one aspect he loves of Bono's lyrics is that they can have many interpretations. And for that reason, the band rarely talk about what a song is truly about, preferring to have fans have their own interpretations. That said, Bono has at times talked about what a song is concerning or inspired by (such as "New Year's Day"), but even then, his lyrics often take on other possibilities.

The multiple videos also suggest numerous interpretations. So I do not believe this song was about any single person or event, but a combination of items. That unversitality is what makes the song so powerful and one of Bono's best in terms of lyrics.

Still, I could do without a performance on every tour. ;)

I went to Amsterdam II and it was an amazing show. Maybe one of the best on 360. The performance of One was certainly not bad and it even included the ''Do you hear us coming Lord'' snippet, which makes it even better. But imo the Zoo TV performances of One are better and more intense.
It might have something to do with the talking/speeching before the song. It kinda bores me to hear it over and over again.

I wonder why it isn't possible to discuss the lyrics or the possible inspiration for One without complaining about the way it's performed live?

It's the song that brought me to U2, still one of my favourites, and I cried when I heard them perform it live this tour. I really have a deep emotional connction to that song and I don't feel disappointed by any performance. In fact, I feel it's better now live than on the last tour, maybe because there are no speeches before the song any more.

Btw, in the recent Rolling Stone interview Bono talks about the song, the lyrics and how hard it is for him to sing it .... hard in the sense that it's getting to him emotionally. I often feel like Bono's almost choking when he's singing that song.

I think the original story behind that song is that Bono wrote it because of a personal experience he had with a friend of his, but it went to another level and became more universal. He says it's mainly a father-son story.

I wonder why it isn't possible to discuss the lyrics or the possible inspiration for One without complaining about the way it's performed live?

It's the song that brought me to U2, still one of my favourites, and I cried when I heard them perform it live this tour. I really have a deep emotional connction to that song and I don't feel disappointed by any performance. In fact, I feel it's better now live than on the last tour, maybe because there are no speeches before the song any more.

Btw, in the recent Rolling Stone interview Bono talks about the song, the lyrics and how hard it is for him to sing it .... hard in the sense that it's getting to him emotionally. I often feel like Bono's almost choking when he's singing that song.

I think the original story behind that song is that Bono wrote it because of a personal experience he had with a friend of his, but it went to another level and became more universal. He says it's mainly a father-son story.

I'm just saying that the Zoo TV performances are better imo. Why on earth is that complaining?

Didn't the "gay son dying of AIDS" interpretation come out of the music video that David Wojnarowicz (a gay artist who was dying of AIDS) did for One?

Well Achtung Baby could really be called "Double Meanings", since many of the songs carry a particular narrative (the destruction of a marriage/relationship) while also being about something else.

For example, one can listen to "Until The End of the World" and listen to it as a lover's quarrel. But of course, as mentioned by Bono, the song is about Judas and Jesus. "Love Is Blindness" is at once both about the death of a relationship and also an act of terrorism.

"One", I think, is no different.

Bono says the song is about breaking up. He's also stated that it is, of course, about the band, but I don't think that it's necessarily about the band in lyrics, just in theme. I think the lyrics tend to point to the general narrative of Achtung Baby, which is basically a lover's row over infidelity and the other trappings of a relationship spread over 12 beautiful, diverse songs.

Certainly, the "mood" was probably set by the band. The band itself was breaking up, and so was Edge's marriage. Bono has stated that this caused a "domino" effect in the band, which I'm assuming to mean that he had also been having troubles with Ali at the time (though that's just a assumption). So I'm willing to bet that, in light of all of this breaking up, Bono stepped up to the mic and belted out a classic breakup song which can be read many ways.

I've heard the "gay son dying of AIDS" story before, but I'm not necessarily sure that's it. Bono has indicated that the "lepers in your bed" line is a nod to AIDS because when writing a song about sex and infidelity, the spectre of AIDS has to be present (especially in the early 90s).

Regarding the "one...but not the same" line, that's where Bono came up with the line. The Dalai Lama had written him an invitation inviting him to the festival celebrating "oneness". Bono didn't like the idea because "oneness" seems to sidestep the more necessary issue of tolerance, and so he replied "one...but not the same." I'm sure the line just stuck in his head and worked in the context of the song, as opposed to being the catalyst for it.

My cousin died of aids, and every time I hear the song one I think if him :sad:

Sincere :hug:

I've never had the slightest problem with One. I've always felt the lyrics appropriately nebulous and the vocal performance profoundly drained. It just works. On the album, anyway. I'm one of the few who think they simply caught lightning in a bottle with the studio take(s) and were never truly able to match that power live. However, having lyrics (namely, the Do You Hear Us Coming snippet) over the outro is certainly an improvement, and hearing Unchained Melody follow it as it did on ZooTV moves me to tears on occasion.

That is probably one of the saddest thing I've ever heard.

I've always felt the lyrics appropriately nebulous and the vocal performance profoundly drained. It just works. On the album, anyway. I'm one of the few who think they simply caught lightning in a bottle with the studio take(s) and were never truly able to match that power live. However, having lyrics (namely, the Do You Hear Us Coming snippet) over the outro is certainly an improvement, and hearing Unchained Melody follow it as it did on ZooTV moves me to tears on occasion.

Yeah, that’s 80% of it. The other 20% is just that it’s one of the warhorse songs, and while those are always still awesome/special when you’re in the stadium, they rarely are when it’s the 100th time you’ve seen it on the 30th different concert you weren’t at that you have footage of.

So I wasn’t saying that they’ve made the song bad, just that the general ho-hum reaction it gets around here now is due to its Every Show Since 1992 status and the MJB version smearing such a tarnish of shit on its legacy. Or to look at it another way, if it were one that were pulled out only occasionally, it would be very special, every time, regardless of how they pull it off or whether you were there or not.

Also, it is actually a fairly repetitive and level song – not as melodic as others, or with shifts or sing alongs or whatever, as opposed to another remotely similar, loosely categorized as ‘ballad’ song like Stay, and this is of course why the added “Do you hear me coming” parts and the musical lift that comes with them really make those versions by far the best live versions. And that is because it’s the power of the intimacy in that album version that makes the song, and can’t be replicated live.

Best part, to me, is this stretch:

You say
Love is a temple
Love a higher law
Love is a temple
Love the higher law
You ask me to enter
But then you make me crawl
And I can't be holding on
To what you got
When all you got is hurt

The vocal here is often where he does actually nail it live as well, sometimes better than the album - mimicking the preachiness of the “Love is” parts, a bit put out on “You ask me to enter”, then anger on “But then you make me crawl”, and then a real clarity or confidence for those last lines. And of course, that’s where the song swells behind him. Great stuff.

Also, I’m willing to bet $1million right now that when U2’s plane goes down, this - not Streets or With Or Without You, or Pride or Beautiful Day – will be to U2 as Imagine is to John Lennon, it will end up being their singular defining song. Whether you like it or not, it will happen. Whether that plane goes down tomorrow or in 20 years, my $1million is totally safe.

Not to turn this into another "One live version" thread, but to me, one of the major problems with the song in its live incarnation is that for the past 3 tours, it's been linked to the One Campaign and DATA and Jubilee 2000, which doesn't fit the tone of the song.

I know "we're one...we get to carry eachother" sounds like the perfect slogan for charity work, but it kind of kills the emotion of One. It's a breakup tune. It reminds me of so many past relationships, not the global crisis.

Not to say that the political stuff should leave - quite the contrary, I love the political rants and I think it's noble to include that stuff in the show. But pick a better, more appropriate song to showcase DATA. "Streets" was written about Africa. "Bullet The Blue Sky" describes a wartorn third world country.

Hell, play "Wave of Sorrow" and include it there! Just leave "One" alone.

Back
Top Bottom