Who else was at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe 25 years ago?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Close study of these new Tempe videos is quite interesting. The earlier versions (from page 1 in this thread) were 4:3 ratio with the ownership watermark near the bottom. These were probably edited proof sequences from the original footage, that were rejected for inclusion in the film.

The versions posted within the last few weeks are widescreen 16:9, with the bottom graphic cropped out. Now it COULD be that the entire movie was 'mastered' in this manner, since the original camera negatives were 35mm (Tempe & Denver concerts) and 16mm (everything else) - both with aspect ratios that are more like old-school 4:3 TV than today's cinema-like 16:9.

JUSTin, can you provide more info on your source? When I first saw your videos popping up on YouTube, I was hopeful that perhaps someone at Paramount was testing the waters for a possible box set remaster - but now I'm thinking instead that a resourceful fan did an admittedly great job cropping and color grading previously rare-but-available footage....

I remember buying a bootleg copy of the R&H out takes 11 years ago from an eBay seller. He just burned really low resolution compressed mpegs to a cd. I still watched hours of footage anyway. It would be nice to get some officially released extra footage.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

thanks for posting - was at both Tempe shows and was always disappointed that there wasn't more live footage from those shows in the R&H film or even extras on DVD.

Since the entire show was filmed professionally it would be nice to see the show by itself in its entirety. Even the black and white footage of the Denver show as well.

Close study of these new Tempe videos is quite interesting. The earlier versions (from page 1 in this thread) were 4:3 ratio with the ownership watermark near the bottom. These were probably edited proof sequences from the original footage, that were rejected for inclusion in the film.

The versions posted within the last few weeks are widescreen 16:9, with the bottom graphic cropped out. Now it COULD be that the entire movie was 'mastered' in this manner, since the original camera negatives were 35mm (Tempe & Denver concerts) and 16mm (everything else) - both with aspect ratios that are more like old-school 4:3 TV than today's cinema-like 16:9.

JUSTin, can you provide more info on your source? When I first saw your videos popping up on YouTube, I was hopeful that perhaps someone at Paramount was testing the waters for a possible box set remaster - but now I'm thinking instead that a resourceful fan did an admittedly great job cropping and color grading previously rare-but-available footage....

While mine did need some cropping, it wasn't the same source as the rattle and hum outtakes that have been making the rounds, nor did it say Paramount Pictures. There was a time stamp but nothing else. My source.. is the director, Phil :)

While mine did need some cropping, it wasn't the same source as the rattle and hum outtakes that have been making the rounds, nor did it say Paramount Pictures. There was a time stamp but nothing else. My source.. is the director, Phil :)

Knee's shaking...Come to Poppa.

Should we ask what else you have? I've listened to these so much over the past few weeks, genuinely the best footage to come to light in years.
I'd love to know if you have access to all the footage filmed, even if you can't share it. Thanks again.

Some of this footage is amazing and absolutely needs to see the light of day in a proper release. It's long past time for a R&H deluxe remaster.

Good 'ole Phil "Philly" Joanou. Can't do an interview with a damn, but captured these guys in concert in a way no one else has come close.

Last edited:
Artistically, the way it was shot was great. It's up there with Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense film as great '80s concert films.

Amazing videos, all of these.

Glad that the band was captured in this manner. its all very dramatic. and the band plays fantastically!

Thanks for sharing these!!!

Would love a remaster of this - the BluRay of Rattle and Hum was really no better then the DVD version in quality so it left a lot to be desired.

Did the question about possible snow flurries at that show ever get answered?
It is unlikely, but I've never known.

Did the question about possible snow flurries at that show ever get answered?
It is unlikely, but I've never known.

I asked that.

I have a buddy from AZ who went to the show and said it was 'sleet'. Either way that is pretty cool it being in AZ & in December.

Well, I guess it will be 28 years since these concerts happened this December. I remember the MTV contest to win a free trip to see U2 in Arizona for the last show of the Joshua Tree tour.

Good stuff again:applaud:

Last few seconds are strange though:huh: Overdubbed with another show?

No idea actually, it's how the footage was when it came to me. Cleaned up the audio as best I could, bass was buried in the mix and there was a hiss throughout, pretty much gone now though.

Awesome...Please keep surprising us when you can. These are just fantastic.

Is there any other videos "away" from the stage? Sun Studio, Fall of 1987, etc.

:applaud:

Back
Top Bottom