Who else here prefers Paul Epworth's remix to 'Ordinary Love?'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asr

Acrobat
I for one think and feel that its a far superior version to the original. The rhythm section sounds better, especially Adam's bass tone. Also, the verse, "birds fly high in the summer sky..." sounded better-placed in the intro to me. You can hear more (imo) interesting textures emanating from Edge's guitar, as subtle as they may be.

I prefer it too, the video also. I like the "birds fly.." at the start and the all round faster feel to the song. Plus you get the "magic marker" lyric twice, which can only ever be a good thing.

Remix is better. Original song in the movie is also better then.the edited version.

I prefer the original in terms of sound, very sparse, but the remix does have the great un-edited structure that packs a greater emotional punch. I would love to hear a version with that structure and the sound of the original

I prefer the remix. I actually really like the "magic marker" line, and I prefer "Are we tough enough?" at the end rather than in the middle.

I prefer the original in terms of sound, very sparse, but the remix does have the great un-edited structure that packs a greater emotional punch. I would love to hear a version with that structure and the sound of the original

Exactly this. The sounds added to the remix are garish and bombastic but the structure feels less short-changed here.

I went back to double check and yep, I much prefer the Epworth version. I could make a theoretical argument about why the original is more appropriate to the subject but for actually listening to it's remix all the way.

Remix is better. Smoother, catchier and more of a pop song...less Adult Contemporary hogwash.

Same with "The Hands That Built America" where the film version actually felt like a true epic rather than something that was needlessly stripped down (especially in that god awful music video on the Best Of DVD). Just something about U2 and not really finishing their film tracks, I guess.

True about Hands That Built America, why didn't they ever release the movie credits version of that song? Edge even wrote the strings arrangement for it which is more than you can say for most popular "artists" trying to up the "epicness" or manipulative emotions of their tracks.

I've now heard the remix twice as much as the original. It really is a great tune. Propulsive, emotional...it soars. I hope that they treat the Epworth mix as the "single mix" and include it on future compilations like they did with "Sweetest Thing" and "Electrical Storm". This is the version that feels complete to my ears.

Back
Top Bottom