Which of the two will get a better remaster edition ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
The "misunderstood" Rattle and Hum, with it's extra movie footage/Lovetown DVD potential, or the "unfinished" Pop, with the band often talking about their desire to re-record it ?

Which one will they put more work into ?

I doubt they would ever want to touch either with a ten foot barge pole. If they HAD to choose one, it would be R&H. Songs like Desire, AoH and AIWIY are general crowd favorites so they would be more inclined to revisit that album. They've totally disowned Pop. Which is probably a good thing - a re-recorded Pop would make my ears bleed. They are in a completely different headspace from the one they were in 15 years ago.

I doubt they would ever want to touch either with a ten foot barge pole. If they HAD to choose one, it would be R&H. Songs like Desire, AoH and AIWIY are general crowd favorites so they would be more inclined to revisit that album. They've totally disowned Pop. Which is probably a good thing - a re-recorded Pop would make my ears bleed. They are in a completely different headspace from the one they were in 15 years ago.

I agree that they've essentially disowned Pop, and I don't think there's any chance they'll "re-record" it. Nor should they. That's just not going to happen.

I am convinced, however, that both will get reissues, though obviously there won't be anything near what they did for Achtung Baby. But I don't think Deluxe Editions ala JT and TUF are completely out of the question for either R&H or Pop. Remember, it's hard core fans who buy these reissues, especially the Deluxe Editions, and both those records remain popular w/the die hards.

After JT and TUF, R&H is the reissue/remaster (and it should be remastered) I've been looking forward to most. If I had to guess I'd say R&H could potentially have a bigger "Deluxe Edition", simply because there's a goldmine or archival material, both audio and video, to choose from.

Both it and Pop will certainly see the light of day, the question is which first?

Pop, exactly because such a rerecording is only relevant for the fans that buy such a thing anyway.

They were running away from Rattle and Hum as fast as possible, lest we forget.

Of course, they did the same to Pop.

Wait.

i'm sure once they're confronted with the albums again and various leftovers from the sessions (if they haven't been already while planning these reissues) they'll see both albums are both actually great pieces of work and they've been wrong to disown Pop as unfinished and blah-de-blah-blah-blah like they always have just because it wasn't a mega smash and they overcompensated in agreeing with everyone else. And that Rattle And Hum isn't embarrassing or whatever it was they said about it in From The Sky Down where they really laid into it!! :huh: :(

...then when they re-issue them in the next year or two, Bono will SERIOUSLY overdo it in gilding the lily and heaping praise on Pop in a complete U-turn, and say...(surprise surprise)

:bono: You know what...Pop may actually by our greatest record. It's us backed into a corner against the odds, against deadlines, against Paul McGuinness having a heart attack while Island ride his back for a finished album...and we pulled through. Yeah I love this album. Don't you Larry?
:larry: My back fucking caned the entire time...
:bono: Oh Larry you joker! Next stop: Passengers 3-Disc Deluxe Edition.
:larry: ....

considering they thought a 30 second discotheque snippet meant they played a song off the album on the 360 tour, that tells you what they think of the album. i certainly hope pop will get a nice remaster, but i bet rattle and hum will be a better one.

considering they thought a 30 second discotheque snippet meant they played a song off the album on the 360 tour, that tells you what they think of the album. i certainly hope pop will get a nice remaster, but i bet rattle and hum will be a better one.

I agree. I think that saying that U2 "ran way" from R&H the way they did Pop is a little overstated, and there's really no comparison. With R&H they distanced themselves from the image they had created of themselves (which was actually the culmination of an image that started with War); with Pop, they distanced themselves from the music itself. There's a big difference. This is reflected in their self-criticism over the years...their comments about R&H are always about the image and perception of the band; the comments about Pop are always about the music. They've basically disowned Pop, but they haven't done so with R&H.

I'm not making a judgement about the relative musical merits of R&H or Pop (that's all a matter of opinion), rather on the way the band has reacted to those records over the years.

^ yeah, exactly. just to make an equal comparison, several songs off rattle and hum were playing on 360. nothing ever made the kind of frequent rotation stuff off other albums did, sure, but since all pop got was a snippet, it's better than nothing. i of course have no idea what bono or u2 think of this or any album but i'm sure they feel the music still holds up, but between the movie and everything they got a bit overexposed. these days it seems laughable considering how much exposure some celebrities get and still remain popular, but yeah.

With Pop, they shy away from the music, but with Rattle & Hum, the music is fine, it's the larger project they try to distance themselves from. So I don't think they'll ever do anything 'big' with the already 'too big' Rattle & Hum. Pop though, the urge to tinker and fiddle and correct and even prove wrong must be pretty strong. And with Popmart and everything that goes with it, there's another slick boxset sitting there waiting to make some coin. I'd say if they're in a position of strength, career wise, they might do something with it (although certainly not a re-record).

U2 hasnt abandoned Pop in the tours since. Theyve played numerous songs from it on subsequent tours, just not so much this past tour.

They don't play many October songs, either, but that didnt stop them from remastering it.

Well, October was on analog tape so it needed to be remastered. I think POP was recorded digitally so it does not HAVE to be remastered.

My "guess" is that R and H gets some type of treatment eventually. Maybe the 25th anniversary of it. Although it doesn't necessarily have to be an anniversary of a particular album as some of the other remaster editions prove. I "think" it was recorded in analog also, so it is more likely to be remastered as a result.

Well, October was on analog tape so it needed to be remastered. I think POP was recorded digitally so it does not HAVE to be remastered.

My "guess" is that R and H gets some type of treatment eventually. Maybe the 25th anniversary of it. Although it doesn't necessarily have to be an anniversary of a particular album as some of the other remaster editions prove. I "think" it was recorded in analog also, so it is more likely to be remastered as a result.

Indeed. I'm convinced both will get reissues, and probably in a Deluxe treatment similar to JT and TUF. R&H will most likely be remastered, though I don't know about Pop. They'll probably just tweak in the way they did AB, but who knows, maybe they'll fiddle around w/the songs ala the 90/00 compilation tracks, though I doubt they'd do much more than that.

"Pop" and R&H were both given a fair amount of love at the time. We have the album, we have the singles and we have the videos. For Pop, we even have the fan club release.

R&H was in analog. Plus, the movie did not show an entire concert - just bits of it. The Pop film showed almost an entire show (I know, it was a merge of a few shows - typical for U2).

In other words, I think R&H has a lot more to offer. The trouble is working with Paramount to release some of that footage. If U2 offer to pay for some of the expenses, knowing who will buy this re-release (i.e., hard core fans, where sales are in the hundreds of thousands at best, not millions), I'm sure a deal could be made with Paramount. After all, having some $$ is better than just holding onto the footage with no $$.

And, as many here have said, I'd love some Love Town shows. The Point Depot shows are famous. U2 already released one in mp3 format on iTunes. Why not release it on CD or DVD (if available)?

Therefore, my guess is R&H not only requires the remaster more, but has more to offer. And with the 25 year anniversary in 2013, it seems not a bad time to release it.

If "Pop" is to be re-issued, the 20th anniversary is not until 2017, so there's lots of time for that, if it occurs.

The best thing about reissuing Pop would be that they'd probably play one or two songs live.

Staring At The Sun

Back
Top Bottom