Where would you rank Bono & The Edge...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theFly51

New Yorker
In your top 5 greatest singer/guitarist duo?

1. Layne Staley and Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains): Both of their voices sound amazing when put together. Sounds real raw and haunting and makes a good combination for that grunge sound Cantrell makes.

2. Bono and The Edge (U2): Both of their falsetto mixed with Edge's ringing delayed guitar sound makes it sound angelic and pure, real gospel like. :up:

3. Axl Rose and Slash (Guns n' Roses): Axl's screaming and wailing combined with Slash's blues' like guitar sound makes for an awesome and true 80's hard rock band. Long live the old G n' R :sad:

4. Scott Weiland and Dean DeLeo (Stone Temple Pilots): A close similarity to Layne Staley, Weiland has that vocal range that sound great, especially live and DeLeo's guitar playing is cited as "hard rock with elements of "psychedelia, jangle pop, and other forms of melodic alternative guitar."

5. Black Francis and Joey Santiago (The Pixies): Really weird and loud sounding guitar tones that go great with Black Frances' lyrics about UFO's and space and surrealism.

where do you rank Bono and Edge?

hm.. somewhere near Steven Tyler/Joe Perry, Axl/Slash and Matthew Bellamy/Matthew Bellamy..

I'd probably place them right after Steven and Joe.

I wholehartedly agree with you on U2 and Alice in Chains.

Out of all of those "duos" they are the ones that stand out not because of guitar vocal interaction, but because the guitarist is an accomplished singer himself. (listen to Jerry Cantrell's solo albums)

GnR, however, is a different matter. I think about half their songwriting was actually driven by Izzy Stradlin (for example Patience and You could be Mine) and Izzy probably sang more backup vocals than Slash. Izzy even sang the main vocals on one song: "14 Years".

I think there are only a few songs where Slash was the main songwriting contributor. You can easily pick out the Izzy vs Axl vs Slash influences and you shouldn't ignore Duff either, who besides songwriting also does background singing and the main vocal on "So Fine"

See for eaxmple these tracklistings:

Use Your Illusion II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No#1 would for me be Living Colour's Vernon Reid (guitar) and Corey Clover (vocals) both with amazing abilities on their respective instruments. (Not to mention the virtuoso Will Calhoun and Doug Wimbish)

Behind U2, AIC and LC would come Pantera:

Phil Anselmo/Dimebag Darrell

Dimebag took everything to the next level, guitar wise; harder and faster, more outlandish harmonically and texturally. This put some serious strain on Phil Anselmo, who combined operatic falsetto's with an abrasive, gruff delivery, without resorting to pure grunting.

These two need no introduction:
Ozzie Ozbourne/Tony Iommi - Black Sabbath
Robert Plant/Jimmy Page - Led Zeppelin

And they would round out my top5 ex.aeq.

Also some of my favorite singers and guitarist have worked in different combinations:

Tom Morello/Chris Cornell - Audioslave
Tom Morello/Zack de la Rocha - RATM

It's interesting that Morello's angry, angular, rhythmic playing works well with Cornell's soulful grunge voice and Zack's semi rap delivery.

David Lee Roth/Eddie Van Halen - Van Halen
David Lee Roth/Steve Vai - DLR

DLR proved that he did not necessarily need EvH, but he did need to get together the best band in the world to prove that (Vai, Sheehan, Bissonette)

Sammie Hagar/Eddie van Halen - Van Halen
Sammie Hagar/Joe Satriani - Chickenfoot

Sammie has a simple blues-rock voice that complements the guitar fireworks of both Satch and EvH equally.

I also want to acknowledge some bands with dual guitarists and a singer:

Eddie Vedder/Mike McCready&Stone Gossard - Pearl Jam
Geoff Tates/Chris de Garmo&Michael Wilson - Queensrÿche
Bruce Dickinson/Dave Murray&Adrian Smith - Iron Maiden

considering these singers have to "compete" with a dual guitar assault, their vocal achievements are even more impressive.

Note that in most of these cases, from U2 to Maiden to PJ to DLR, the bass players and drummers contributions should not be marginalised.

On an emotional level I'd say they are above everyone else. There's just a chemistry between them that cannot be denied. You feel the love and respect they have for each other. I just loving to watch them being around each other. That's worth more for me than artistical perfection. I like how funny, sweet and caring they are with each other, but also the fact that they complement each other because they are so different and one of them can do what the other may not be able to do. They just bring out the best in the other one. In fact, that's what I love and admire most about U2 as a band, but about B&E as a "duo" in particular.

This is somewhat in order:

Axl/Slash
Ozzy/Randy Rhoads
Bono/Edge
Steven Tyler/Joe Perry
Mark Hoppus/Tom Delonge (Blink182)
James Hetfield/Kirk Hammet
Robert Plant/Jimmy Page
Ozzy/Zakk Wylde/Tony Iommi
Brian Johnson/Angus Young
Freddie Mercury/Brian May

I put Axl And Slash above Bono and Edge because up until the 90's, they were best buds, and you could really tell that onstage. After Use Your Illusion, not so much. Ozzy and Randy were very close, too. Ozzy had stopped taking as many drugs and wasn't drinking as much, but when he was killed, Ozzy went into a deep drug and alcohol fueled depression. :slant:

1. Bono & The Edge
2. Steven Tyler & Joe Perry

Noel & Liam Gallagher
Michael Stipe & Peter Buck
Robert Plant & Jimmy Page
Brett Anderson & Bernard Butler/Richard Oakes
Kurt Cobain & Kurt Cobain :wink:
Greg Gilbert & Greg Gilbert :wink::wink:
Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
Damon Albarn & Graham Coxon
Thom Yorke & Jonny Greenwood & Ed O'Brien

James Hetfield & Kirk Hammet, they make an amazing duo in my opinion.

Bono and Edge are by far my favorite, although I, uhh, don't really like much music at all.

If Daltrey and Townsend can't make your list yet Blink 182 or Chickenfoot can, we gotta check yer papers. :wink:

I can't speak for whoever put up Blink 182, but I also took songwriting into account, which is why I left off the Who (Daltrey didn't write, it's mostly Townsend) and Metallica (Hammett doesn't write) I also left off Jagger/Richards, as I find Brian Jones' contribution underrated and the Stones started to slide when he passed away.

But you're right, the Who do make some glorious noise and their combined vocal and guitar sound is great :hyper:

Ah...Bob Mould's guitar. There are times during NLOTH that I wish Bob Mould had produced it. Imagine songs like NLOTH, SUC and Breathe with a Bob sound. Lately Edge has been trying hard to produce a ballsy power chord sound without it sounding like Whitesnake. He should listen to Bob Mould.

To answer the question. I grew up hating Led Zeppelin. Only grew to tolerate them recently. But I can't think of a better vocal, guitar match than Plant and Page.

if we're talking duo's mick and keith hands down

if we're talking bands its still a tie between u2 and the stones

I was the one who said blink182 :applaud:

If you've ever seen or heard blink182 play live back in their hey-day you'd know :cute:

Back
Top Bottom