When have you been brought to tears by a U2 song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheEdge25

Refugee
One of my examples:

This one just happened today. To give you a bit of context, I am preparing to move to Brazil in November for two years. I'm leaving my family and friends, and everything I know behind. Now that the time is getting closer, I am getting more and more nervous and scared about going. Today, while driving up to Salt Lake City, I was listening to my iPod on shuffle when "Walk On" came on. I hadn't listened to the studio version for some time and so I figured, "what the heck" and let it play.

Once it got to the "And I know it aches, and your heart it breaks" part, I was getting teary-eyed, but by the time it got to the "Home....hard to know what it is, if you've never had one" part, I was overcome with emotion and just broke down. Had to pull over on a city street. And I'm sure I had a few odd looks.

But it was just a powerful moment. Walk On has never hit me that hard. What a wonderful song. :sad:

Larry's live vocals in 1992 certainly caused my tear ducts to swell. That kind of pure emotion and vocal mastery has rarely been matched by Holiday, Armstrong*, Gaye, etc.

*(Note for younger posters: refers to Louis, not Billie Joe)

Walk On has had me on numerous "tough time" occasions. It's the emotional honesty of it.
Streets & Bad live choked me in Cardiff 09. Bad especially.

"40" at the end of this tour got me too. "I will sing, sing a new song..." and I can't help feeling that one day that won't be the case... Okay, maybe I'm naturally melancholic!

I think I choked up when I heard Mothers Of The Disappeared and realized what it was about. It's a very gentle song but the lyrics are quite harrowing.

Depends on the situation and emotion, but a lot of U2 songs make me cry. "One" used to make me cry sometimes and "White as snow" still brings tears to my eyes, as does the live version of "Kite" and sometimes "Moment of Surrender", just because of the whole atmosphere at the end of the show. I always think of that when I listen to the album versions of these songs. "Bad", "Tomorrow" and "One Tree Hill" sometimes bring me to the verge of crying as well. I guess I just react very emotional to music in general.

Never, as much as I love U2 and music in general, it never made/makes me cry.

Kite, SYCMIOYO, and MOS all made me cry the first few times I heard them. The first time I saw Streets live in Oklahoma brought tears to my eyes; that was a powerful moment. Also, seeing Stay live in Winnipeg would have made me cry, but I didn't have the resources left to produce tears after being in the GA line all day, so all I got was a stinging sensation in my eyes. (Trying to cry while dehydrated really burns! The things you learn...) The performance of Stay on the Boston DVD is one of my favorites and I had always wanted to see it live, so I was really thrilled to see it in Winnipeg.

-Seeing U2 play 'Walk On' on the 9/11 special. Very emotional performance and was just scared of the whole attack on US.

-Hearing MOS during Chicago 1. My Dad's best friend passed away from lung cancer that summer and it was really hard on my Dad who was visiting quite often since he was diagnosed. A very sad summer.

-I got pretty choked up hearing 'Stay' at Anahiem 1. Standing in the cheap seats, seeing the city lights in the distance, hearing Stay from Zooropa live acoustic (finally!!), and standing there w/ my wife, who's a big Zooropa fan, and both of us thinking of our 6 month old back home (flew from TX).

Good luck w/ your move Edge25. It always hurts when you leave home but its a great feeling knowing you have a place to call home and having people who love you there. 2 years will fly by :up:

Oh, also another for me. It wasn't really a song so much as a U2 moment... When I was standing at the Toronto rail, and Space Oddity came on, and I realized that I'd made it there, seeing U2 in another country, not telling my parents or anyone else I knew in the real world, being surrounded by fans and so much love, and knowing that after 13 hours of waiting in a General Admission line and 3 or so hours of waiting in the venue, that U2 was finally about to kick off the last of the two 360 shows I would see. That brought tears to my eyes.

Oh, also another for me. It wasn't really a song so much as a U2 moment... When I was standing at the Toronto rail, and Space Oddity came on, and I realized that I'd made it there, seeing U2 in another country, not telling my parents or anyone else I knew in the real world, being surrounded by fans and so much love, and knowing that after 13 hours of waiting in a General Admission line and 3 or so hours of waiting in the venue, that U2 was finally about to kick off the last of the two 360 shows I would see. That brought tears to my eyes.

Amen, sister. I only told my parents of 1 show out out my state-boundary crossing U2 spiritual pilgrimage this past summer. There they were oceans away, having no idea of the kind of surreal adventure I was on. If this is independence (of choice, thought and action), let U2 lead me.

Chicago 2011, acoustic Stay comes on. I thought I'd take a snoozer bit of a breather, since

1) Adam wasn't in front of me
2) I'd heard Stay performed on many youtube videos. (the same version at many events they perform at)

Unexpectedly, the tears just start flowing midway through the song. There's something about the timbre of Bono's voice... that just strikes the vein that connects directly to your limbic system (the part of the brain that controls emotion)

Stay is one of the few U2 songs that can make me shed a tear. I remember hearing the acoustic version of Stay from Elevation Boston for the first time and when the chorus came up I just started crying. It was beautiful. Stay is also my all time favorite song ever and when I finally got to hear it in Philadelphia this year I started tearing up a little but I held back as much as possible.

Kite from Slane Castle has made me cry.

October (song) made me tear up a little.

No tears but very emotional when bono dedicated BD to gabby giffords the first time in Seattle. I was proud to be a u2 fan at that moment.

I cried today listening to 'Walk On' and thinking about 9/11. Thinking about all of the souls lost then, and all of those lost trying to help. I know it's been a couple of weeks since the ten year mark, but this time it really hit me harder than it usually does... It gives me goosebumps, the power of that song once you REALLY listen to it.

Bad. It was the only song I wanted to hear live at least once. After MOS ended in Pittsburgh I was thinking OK well I only have one more chance this tour, but then Bono started talking about doing a song for a friend for the encore and I didn't even want to hope but I had a feeling it had to be it. When they started playing it I was so happy. I got pretty choked up during it, but it was beautiful. I cried a little. :heart: It was perfect.

1) Two occasions at my first-ever U2 show in Miami this summer - got emotional hearing Streets live for the first time, and then shed a tear during Moment of Surrender. :reject:

2) Whenever I listen to Walk On and Kite. Listened to Walk On on 9/11, got emotional.

3) First time I heard Your Blue Room.

Yeah, sometimes I get emotional. :wink:

I've cried every time I've heard Streets live. Mind you, it's only been three times, but they were all amazing. My favorite (although it probably wasn't the GREATEST performance of the song they've ever done) was hearing it live in Salt Lake City this past summer. Just hearing my favorite song, by my favorite band, there in person, in the city I live in was just overwhelming.

Also, at that concert was when I proposed to my (soon-to-be) wife. Proposed during With or Without You. And I know that sounds kind of cliche, but it was one of the greatest moments of my life. After she said yes...we both just held each other and kissed and cried. Ever since then, when I hear WOWY, I think of that night and tears come to my eyes. It was so perfect.

I had the opportunity to hear both Streets and WOWY again in Anaheim a few weeks later and the tears were flowing freely. Awesome stuff.

I'm not even embarrassed to cry at U2 songs anymore. They all have so much emotion and so much meaning to me now.

Amen, sister. I only told my parents of 1 show out out my state-boundary crossing U2 spiritual pilgrimage this past summer. There they were oceans away, having no idea of the kind of surreal adventure I was on. If this is independence (of choice, thought and action), let U2 lead me.

Chicago 2011, acoustic Stay comes on. I thought I'd take a snoozer bit of a breather, since

1) Adam wasn't in front of me
2) I'd heard Stay performed on many youtube videos. (the same version at many events they perform at)

Unexpectedly, the tears just start flowing midway through the song. There's something about the timbre of Bono's voice... that just strikes the vein that connects directly to your limbic system (the part of the brain that controls emotion)

To me the moment in 360 where Bono's voice was most glorious was Miss Sarajevo. Such a powerful moment in the show where you realize just how beautiful Bono's voice is.

Every time I have seen them live, they have played One and I've cried every time. Also, SYCMIOYO made me bawl like a baby at the Vertigo show I saw. Walk On is another song that makes me tear up every time I hear it

I wasn't much a U2 fan at the time, but that 2002 Super Bowl performance made me tear up a smidgen. When Bono opened his jacket and revealed that flag, it was almost too much to take. Funny how an Irish guy made me so proud to be an American.

Toronto during Walk On. It was the line "I know I'm going home.." that did me in, because it was my last show and I was, indeed, going home. :sad: I've teared up a bit at other times, but this was the first time I actually cried. *sniff* Amazing summer, amazing memories, but sad to see it go.

Back
Top Bottom