When have you been brought to tears by a U2 song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
when I heard RTSS during the Vertigo tour in Boston. Not really sure why. when B broke into the Hallelujah's....:sad:

Toronto during Walk On. It was the line "I know I'm going home.." that did me in, because it was my last show and I was, indeed, going home. :sad: I've teared up a bit at other times, but this was the first time I actually cried. *sniff* Amazing summer, amazing memories, but sad to see it go.

Aaaaah Toronto. Such a magical show. It still gives me chills to watch footage of it. I would give so much just to be able to do it all one more time. :sad:

Streets live, every time I have seen it.

Kite, the Slane version especially!:heart:

I lost it in Montreal when I heard the "tell my wife I love her very much" part at the end of Beautiful Day. So amazing.:cute:

Although Stuck isn't one of my favourite songs, when he dedicated to Amy Winehouse in Minneapolis, there was just something about the way he sang it that was so emotional. When the Edge started, well, I was done!:sad:

And there was my first U2 concert and they sung 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For' and the whole stadium singing the rest of the lyrics when Bono stopped made me so proud to be a U2 fan at that moment, very emotional.

And there was my first U2 concert and they sung 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For' and the whole stadium singing the rest of the lyrics when Bono stopped made me so proud to be a U2 fan at that moment, very emotional.

At Chicago 1 (2009), which was my first show, I cried during ISHFWILF, and Bad. Since then, the outro of WOWY took me a couple of times (Edge's playing, not Bono's singing that did me in as it always has for that song), and Streets/MOS at my last show in Minneapolis did me in too.

I also had a "Stuck In A Moment" moment a few weeks ago, and I'm now starting to understand why. I don't even like that song very much, but it's a bit apt for me at the present time.

I fully expect to be a blubbering idiot hearing Edge do... well, I won't spoil it, but that song on FTSD ;)

High school....with a girl.....long time ago. We were at the beach at night time. Listened to "Bad".

I bawled like a baby.

Stay from this past tour. Afterwards, I was kind of proud to finally have a real cry at a u2 concert as that was my 3rd time seeing them! LOL Previously i might have gotten a bit misty during Streets or Walk On, but this was pretty much me sobbing uncontrollably. I'm still proud of it!! :D Of course everytime i listen to a live version of Streets I can't help but get misty.

this one time while listening to a live version of elevation somebody came over and kicked me in the balls.
Is this you??
images

Walk On...I really connect with that song.
Sometimes you can't make it on your own...the video came out when I was taking care of my Grandmother just before she died, the first time I saw it I was with her in the living room.
Stay..gets me every time
One... I cry when I hear this in concert

Oh geez, where do I start?
When my parents seperated I listened to Walk On almost every day and balled.
When my dog passed away from cancer I listened to Kite and the same thing happened.
With or Without You - happens randomly. Just because it's so amazing and it's my favourite and sometimes it's just strikes a deeper chord than I'm expecting. Same with Streets.
My first U2 show, Toronto 2009, I balled when Bono came on stage. Breathe probably isn't one people usually cry to but it really had nothing to do with the song.
Montreal 2 this year. All I Want Is You. Hallelujah. Moment of Surrender.
Oh, who am I kidding? I have cried at every U2 show I've been to. Not joking.
Basically....I cry a lot. :shrug:

Heard them play Stuck on the Vertigo tour about a month after a family member committed suicide. It made me so sad to think about how this person really was stuck and couldn't think of any other alternative. It took a few years before I could listen to that song without crying, still gets me sometimes.

WOWY, from about the 2nd "And you give yourself away" section on... studio or live version, gets me almost everytime, even after all these years.

Walk On and Kite have both moved me in a very strong way, and sometimes One does it too.

Never really took the time to enjoy One. I mean, I'd sing along and love it when they played it live, but I never really took the time when the studio version came up on my iPod. I'd just skip over it.

In honor of my Achtung Baby month I've been listening to it start to finish a lot, no stopping, no skipping. Every time I've done this. I've cried during One. Usually at the "Did I ask too much? More than a lot" part through the end of the song. Such a beautiful song and I'm sad I never took the time earlier to truly listen and fall in love with it.

In honor of my Achtung Baby month I've been listening to it start to finish a lot, no stopping, no skipping. Every time I've done this. I've cried during One. Usually at the "Did I ask too much? More than a lot" part through the end of the song. Such a beautiful song and I'm sad I never took the time earlier to truly listen and fall in love with it.
It truly is a brilliant song, probably my favorite song ever. The "I can't be holding on" part gives me chills every time.

The first time I heard "Kite" after my father's death in 2005. (Not my first listen, of course, but the first occurrence after he passed.)

"Who's to say where the wind will take you
Who's to say what it is will break you
I don't know where the wind will blow
Who's to know when the time has come around
I don't wanna see you cry
I know that this is not goodbye"

My dad had shot himself after being clinically depressed for several years. I'd planned to go see him the day before he died, but got tied up in household errands & talked myself out of going because, truth be told, I'd found myself having difficulty seeing him so pitiful. (Until his retirement & subsequent depression, my father had always been an optimist, a jokester & a generally well-tempered guy to be around.)

I felt a lot of guilt (and still do) that I made excuses that Sunday. The line "I don't want to see you cry, I know that this is not goodbye" brought me to my knees for several years after his passing. It still makes me teary-eyed. :sad:

On a less morbid note, I cried tears of pure, unadulterated elation the first time I heard "Bad" & ISHFWILF live. And the end of the absolutely perfect Pittsburgh show this July brought bittersweet tears to my eyes: sweet because it's the best live show I've ever experienced and bitter because it was the end of the tour road for me.

"Who's to say where the wind will take you
Who's to say what it is will break you
I don't know where the wind will blow
Who's to know when the time has come around
I don't wanna see you cry
I know that this is not goodbye"
"Kite" has a nice melody, but these lyrics you quote are perhaps the worst U2 have ever published (with "I'll be Fucked if I don't go Crazy Tonight" as probably the worst). I'm sure if I set my mind to it I can write something more affecting than this cliche garbage from a Hallmark card in about 30 seconds. When I first played this album in late 2000 and I read the "I don't wanna see you cry / I know that this is not goodbye" lyric in the CD booklet, my first thought was: "Oh, why did U2 decide to cover a Celine Dion song?" Then, I realized they'd written it. Utter shite like this would not have passed the test on, say, The Joshua Tree.

Nice song; too bad about the horror-awful lyrics.

And you think I'm the one without class. Nice one. :rolleyes:

I agree, Blue, that whole song is really affecting, I feel the same way about it, it was the first song I heard after I lost a close family member for the first time. Hearing it live in 06 was a transcendent moment.

The performance of One on the Popmart Mexico video, holy shit was that overwhelming. You can hear Bono's voice breaking, he's hurting there. Also there's a moment during the same song on the Slane DVD where the camera shows this (attractive) girl in the audience singing along and there's a guy in a hat dancing around in the background. For some reason that moment gets me. Then there's being at an actual concert and hearing those opening strains of Streets coming out of nowhere, everyone around you is elated and it does make the eye tear a slight bit.... :wink:

"Kite" has a nice melody, but these lyrics you quote are perhaps the worst U2 have ever published (with "I'll be Fucked if I don't go Crazy Tonight" as probably the worst). I'm sure if I set my mind to it I can write something more affecting than this cliche garbage from a Hallmark card in about 30 seconds. When I first played this album in late 2000 and I read the "I don't wanna see you cry / I know that this is not goodbye" lyric in the CD booklet, my first thought was: "Oh, why did U2 decide to cover a Celine Dion song?" Then, I realized they'd written it. Utter shite like this would not have passed the test on, say, The Joshua Tree.

You are a real piece of work to quote those lyrics back to someone that just told that heartbreaking story about why those lyrics and song mean a lot to her. What the HELL is wrong with you?!

The Panther said:

No one has any interest in your opinions in this sort of thread, Numbers Man. I can't fathom how insensitive and oblivious you must be to make a post like this.

Now please go rub your nipples and cry.

:down:

Has anyone ever been brought to beer by a U2 song?

Yes. You. Obviously.

You are a real piece of work to quote those lyrics back to someone that just told that heartbreaking story about why those lyrics and song mean a lot to her. What the HELL is wrong with you?!

Very true. :up:

Kite = beauty.

Back
Top Bottom