What's the Deal with October?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think overall it's a better album than War.

Agreed.

The first seven tracks are particuarly strong, as an opening salvo it stands up with the best really.
Is that all? is probably the only genuinely weak song on the album, even stranger is a strange land is a nice little deviation from other U2 tracks.
Tomorrow and Gloria are up there with the best u2 songs ever written.
In general October is a real thing of beauty, it takes me on a very pleasant journey every time i hear it.

There are a lot of positive responses here...that's good.

But I know most folks don't really "dislike" the album...they just don't rank it very high in U2's catalog of work.

I rank October better than several other records...I would probly put it somewhere in the middle of the pack. Let's see:

We have JT, AB, UF, War, Boy, NLOTH...then I see October sliding into 7th place just ahead of ATYCLB, HTDAAB, R&H, Zoo, and Pop.

October feels more complete than the bottom half I listed. Like I said, it's not perfect, but it flows very well and the music, though experimental for a young band, is very creative.

Anyway, I know that U2 fans like October for the most part...but where does it fall in your rankings and why?

I personally doubt that Bono's having those lyric-notes stolen made much difference to October. It's a good story, but in those days Bono's approach was to sing whatever came to mind at the microphone, and he changed lyrics up to the last minute constantly. And since the incident occurred shortly before the recording sessions, you'd tend to think he pretty much knew what he was going to sing anyway, even if he might have forgotten a few good lines here or there.

I also think the "band was going through spiritual crisis" story has been a bit exaggerated over the years as a way to explain why the album was less successful (see also: "Pop would have been hugely successful if we'd had three more months").

I think the challenge with October was more to do with the band's having maximum one year between Boy and the next studio album, which has never happened again since. They got a bit more time to polish War, and with Unforgettable Fire they asked for and got more time from Island to finish it. As we all know, they switched a making records at a snail's pace in the 90s and beyond.

I think October just suffers a bit from "sophomoritis". It doesn't have the hits like War and it's not mature like what came after that. And the difference between Boy and October is that Boy is "the first U2 album". Which leaves October with nothing to excite casual fans with.

Anyone know if these lyrics ever re-surfaced?
Unbelievable that someone stole them and have not come forward after all these yrs. I bet they are in someones attac collecting dust or something.

I realy love OCtober, but it's currently second-to-last on my list because when I listen to the whole thing I either get depressed or tired... Well, anyway, the individual songs are wonderful. It's kind of an overlooked piece of art, much like HTDAAB in that respect (and in my opinion). I love Tomorrow, Gloria, Scarlet, I Fall Down, Stranger In A Strange Land... the rest could be better. Except October the song and With A Shout, maybe... gaaaah, so hard to choose favorites. I think it's amazing that Scarlet is being played live again... what were the chances?
Closing thought- the drumming on this album is better than on any other U2 album. Just listen to With A Shout and I Threw A Brick! :D

For many time October was one of my U2 top 3 albums. It's lyricallt brilliant for a young artist like Bono... and I'm atheist, so there's no conflict in admitting that.
It's an unfairly overshadowed album and I agree that it's better than War as an overall.

Anyone know if these lyrics ever re-surfaced?
Unbelievable that someone stole them and have not come forward after all these yrs.
This is mentioned in U2 by U2, the missing briefcase was recovered in 2004 (?), I don't remember if it was stolen or misplaced. I think Bono said something like the band was disappointed to learn that the stolen lyrics he bemoaned all those years were more like hieroglyphs than any actual songwriting.

They were found in someone's attic in Portland, OR. It was 2004 that he claimed them, as he was in Seattle first that day (ask me how I know! :wink: ) and then I saw on the news that night that he was in Portland later and met with the people who had found them.

Anyway, I know that U2 fans like October for the most part...but where does it fall in your rankings and why?

Probably 3rd ... I don't think I've ever really been tired of the album, or irritated with it. And there's only like one song on the whole thing that makes me go "meh" as it were. I feel for example that The Unforgettable Fire is better overall, so, there you go.

I really like october. It has that great flow through out the album. Which War really doesn't have.

Gloria, Tomorrow, Fire, Is that all, Brick, Rejoice are all great songs. I never liked scarlet, that is the only song on the album that I actually DON'T like.

On War there is of course SBS, NYD and 40. Which are all a part of U2s best songs.
But again.. war has the refugee and red light.

Overall I like october better than war.

I really like october. It has that great flow through out the album. Which War really doesn't have.

Gloria, Tomorrow, Fire, Is that all, Brick, Rejoice are all great songs. I never liked scarlet, that is the only song on the album that I actually DON'T like.

On War there is of course SBS, NYD and 40. Which are all a part of U2s best songs.
But again.. war has the refugee and red light.

Overall I like october better than war.

Good point. I forgot to mention how well the album flows...and I think I like it better than War, too

It's a super album. Flows more consistently than most U2 albums, and doesn't nosedive as abysmally as War does in it's second half.

It features U2's finest song on it (Gloria), and I feel that Brick, Stranger and Is That All? are among the most underrated songs in U2's catalogue. It isn't perfect, October and Scarlet are thankfully no longer than they are, and Bono's vocal in Tomorrow is one of the most unpleasant of his career, but it's an immensely exciting 40 minutes of listening.

Back
Top Bottom