Whats Better Rose Bowl or Vertigo Chicago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdelbove

Acrobat
what do u guys think. Both were not great performances by bono vocally but i which kind of take away from the shows for me - but think i prefer vertigo chicago bono pluss that set list was pretty interesting. Great performances of elictrico co and a cat dubn - pluss that city of blinding lights opening is way better that the get on your boots opening from the rose bowl

I'd have to say Rose Bowl. Even though Vertigo Chicago was the first DVD I saw/bought and even though I was extremely close to this DVD the Rose Bowl one is just far more interesting to me. The fact it has Ultraviolet alone just makes it better. Many here hate the Chicago DVD, so for the record I really enjoy that one. Great setlist and even though the crowd wasn't all that into it, the performances really make up for that. Loved the COBL intro on that with Edge playing and the band slowly filling in. I still think Bono sang better on 360.

So for me 360 from Rose Bowl > Vertigo Chicago

Ultraviolet from the Rose Bowl > all of Chicago.

The rest is gravy.

Rose Bowl by a mile. I have never been able to sit through the entire Chicago DVD, not so much because of the material (Electric Co was awesome), but the unwatchable video edits.

Rose Bowl by a mile. I have never been able to sit through the entire Chicago DVD, not so much because of the material (Electric Co was awesome), but the unwatchable video edits.

This!

I LOVED the whole Vertigo Tour. It was the first one I ever got to see. But the Chicago DVD just does not resemble the way the tour should be remembered. Plus the video edits are just TERRIBLE!

Rose Bowl for sure!!

But I do have a question. Would anybody happen to have a link to the MP3 audio from either the Chicago DVD or the Boston Elevation DVD? If anyone does, shoot me a PM? I've been looking for that mp3 for so long...

Rose Bowl, mainly for sentimental and nostalgic reasons since I was there. But I still enjoy the heck out of Chicago just for stuff like Electric Co. and Zoo Station. But yeah, video editing on that one stinks.

Vertigo Milan should be the official DVD of Vertigo tour. The editing is 10 times better than Chicago.

gotta disagree. Vertigo chicago in my mind is far superior.

The rose bowl dvd just kinda rubbed me the wrong way. felt kinda bland and like the band was running through the motions.

Chicago is one of my favorites, i think the setlist and the way the show comes together is excellent and I think the band gives a better performance.

Zoo TV, Slane, Popmart, and Vertigo Brazil are superior to that though!

gosh its a toughie as part of Rose Bowl is great and part of Chicago is great, Id have to seriously divide 50-50 here!

LOL!

however, one of the best moments in Rose Bowl, that I guess kinda rules over Chicago is the opening sound and aerial visiual, of Unforgettable Fire.

DAMN! :up::up::up:

The Rose Bowl does have the best audio on any U2 DVD I've ever watched.

The easy answer is the new bluray technology. But still it has great sound. Would have been nice if the audience were turned up at a few stages throughout the concert, though.l

Chicago. Electric Co, An Cat Dubh :drool: Though all the 360 shows I've seen in Europe so far have been better than either of them.
Roll on Moscow!!!:drool:

Well if you look at the quality, even youtube vids from the vertigo tour beat the Rose Bowl Blu-Ray quality. "Hey guys let's put grain over the screen everywhere and make sure it's SO dark that the viewers can't see shit, that'll be very cool!:doh:"

Also, his voice on the Rose Bowl DVD......can't help to say that it is the first time I've heard Bono being so awful. Hellojwww hjellowwww on Vertigo, worst Ultraviolet:)heart:) performance, pathetic Unforgettable Fire etc, his voice just isn't there that night.

About the Background noise on the Rose Bowl DVD, why turn OFF the sound of the crowd? All it does is make the concert sound very very empty. For me it doesn't have the best audio at all, actually the worst of all U2 DVD's. I don't want to hear bono's voice so perfectly clear (not in that shape anyway) if that means I cannot hear the crowd and the whole 'feeling' of the evening is gone.

The Vertigo DVD didn't have those shortcomings and actually felt pretty cohesive with a good performance of the band, I still watch POPmart the most, followed by Slane, ZOOtv and Vertigo. The 360 concert is already gathering dust.

I think the Rose Bowl-show is better. Sure, Bono was tired and trembled a bit during a few songs (Vertigo) but there's so much more to it that makes it so much better. While the Chicago-concert feels more like just a concert the 360-shows turns it up an extra notch with the Claw that isn't just massive in scale, it's a unique and smart construction that turns it into a show rather than just a concert.

It's more of an experience watching the Rose Bowl-DVD with great editing and great sound (although the crowd noise could've been put higher in the mix to add that extra level of energy) that is very different from all the other U2 DVDs. :up:

I prefer the Rose Bowl DVD, partly because I think U2 suit outdoor venues better than indoor arenas, partly because of certain setlist highlights (UV and TUF) and partly because Bono gives a much more energetic performance, vocally and physically.

I think Chicago on the Vertigo tour is far superior to The Rose Bowl, 360,

Bono's voice is better on the Chicago DVD!

The Set List is much better IMO, I am a bigger fan of Bomb than NLOTH, I think undeniably the songs on Bomb worked alot better live, and in alot of cases improved from the album versions, I think the 360 set needs more upbeat songs like I Will Follow and a few POP (album) tunes, as constantly said the stage begs for it!

The Stage is better, I really don't like the claw! Its so underwhelming, good structure but beyond that, well other than the expanding screen for 1 or 2 songs, its very boring and stagnent,

The band seem to have more energy in Chicago, Rose Bowl looks so rehearsed and choreographed, as said earlier and to eyes aswell the Rose Bowl gig looks like the Band going through the motions,

Bono is PAINFULLY annoying inbetween songs on the the Rose Bowl, what time is it in the world? what!!? all this heavey breathing and moaning! wha! why does he do this?, anybody have any idea?,

I think the 360 tour is one of the worst that U2 have ever done, the DVD and Gigs I seen really dissapointed me, I was very confused after for a good while, but I met other hardcore U2 fans that I know and they all said the same, it was terrible and they felt like leaving!!! Shocking I know, but overall devastating! The Vertigo gigs I seen were absolutely incredible, perhaps the best I've ever seen!!! The whole stadium was rocking! the band were so good, and Bono was IMO alot better in his performance and his vocal abilities, The set list was also very impressive, U2 been the Rock band they are, blasting it out and whipping the crowd into a frenzy, The 360 gigs had alot of people standing still, arms folded almost bored, It was shocking! I can only hope the next time I see U2 my faith is restored in them!

... but I met other hardcore U2 fans that I know and they all said the same, it was terrible and they felt like leaving!!!

Were they on drugs? Disappointed is one thing, "terrible" is quite another, and I just want to roll my eyes at them.

Does anyone else actually like the blue-ish tone they gave in editing on the Rose Bowl DVD ?

It looks cool and definitely sets it apart from all the other DVDs they made.

I think Chicago on the Vertigo tour is far superior to The Rose Bowl, 360,

Bono's voice is better on the Chicago DVD!

The Set List is much better IMO, I am a bigger fan of Bomb than NLOTH, I think undeniably the songs on Bomb worked alot better live, and in alot of cases improved from the album versions, I think the 360 set needs more upbeat songs like I Will Follow and a few POP (album) tunes, as constantly said the stage begs for it!

The Stage is better, I really don't like the claw! Its so underwhelming, good structure but beyond that, well other than the expanding screen for 1 or 2 songs, its very boring and stagnent,

The band seem to have more energy in Chicago, Rose Bowl looks so rehearsed and choreographed, as said earlier and to eyes aswell the Rose Bowl gig looks like the Band going through the motions,

Bono is PAINFULLY annoying inbetween songs on the the Rose Bowl, what time is it in the world? what!!? all this heavey breathing and moaning! wha! why does he do this?, anybody have any idea?,

I think the 360 tour is one of the worst that U2 have ever done, the DVD and Gigs I seen really dissapointed me, I was very confused after for a good while, but I met other hardcore U2 fans that I know and they all said the same, it was terrible and they felt like leaving!!! Shocking I know, but overall devastating! The Vertigo gigs I seen were absolutely incredible, perhaps the best I've ever seen!!! The whole stadium was rocking! the band were so good, and Bono was IMO alot better in his performance and his vocal abilities, The set list was also very impressive, U2 been the Rock band they are, blasting it out and whipping the crowd into a frenzy, The 360 gigs had alot of people standing still, arms folded almost bored, It was shocking! I can only hope the next time I see U2 my faith is restored in them!

:up: An interesting post, even if I disagree with much of it. Firstly, let us consider Bono's voice. I know he had an off night at Pasadena, but that was by 2009 standards not 2005. I think Bono was very flat on the Chicago DVD, and as Elevation testifies, he was having throat problems. In my view, there was not a standout vocal to compare with UV or Streets. I also think his stage presence was more effective at he Rose Bowl- he had not been that mobile (and theatrical) since PopMart. On the Chicago DVD he stands either still for long periods or does bad impersonations of cats. Now I appreciate that 'theatrical Bono' is not to everyone's taste but it is to mine.

But I do agree with you on one area- the setlist. I am not claiming that the Vertigo setlist was better (I don't like HTDAAB and there were too many warhorses like Pride) but I agree that 360 lacks two or three upbeat songs, especially considering the state. I also agree that IWF and some Pop songs would fill the gap nicely.

Back
Top Bottom