What U2 album was drug influenced?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That movie was, I assume, Rattle and Hum ?

Well...we don't see anyone take a drink or a smoke (of any kind), despite Bono's "when's that beer coming?" question (I'm not sure but I don't think there's even a single shot of Adam smoking in there). It's just funny to have Bono then say "but we wouldn't hide a drink from the camera".
U2 was always very conscious about their image, and that includes cigarettes and alcohol (at least up to Zoo TV).

Adam's smoking at the bar, and if I remember right there's a scene where they are all drinking a beer during one of the interviews...

I was at the Dallas Popmart show when some kid was pulled up onstage and offered Bono some cocaine. Bono said "no thanks man, I don't do coke". He then told the security guards to let him be, but it was Dallas, so I am going to assume they arrested his dumb ass.

I hope they did, in fact. I wouldn't know because I was basically on the other side of Texas trying to watch the damn show. Fucking concerts in football stadiums. I ordered those tickets day of sale too!!!

You better hope there isn't a bootleg of this show, or if there is it confirms this...sounds like complete bullshit to me. And if it was 'off mike', no way anyone in the crowd would have heard it at a PopMart show.

Oh shit, beer!

I don't think any member of U2 gets no kick from cocaine, but isn't it a bit mad that most responses to Bono's apparently reckless driving habits are given replies such as hearty :lol:s and oh that man!s from many here, while the thought of him lighting a spliff attracts riots? Even though such driving could endanger many people, but a spliff only oneself - if that? Don't you think that's a bit mad?

What the hell???! I'm sorry but this is so completely false it's hilarious. Why do people keep saying this outlandish crap? You need to watch some old video footage, for real.

Or look at old pictures. They should own sizable parts of both Guinness and Heineken by now, given their consumption over the years.

Not that you shouldn't ever anyway, but you just need to watch that most wondrous and important live performances, the TV Gaga one, to see that they weren't too up on cutting a completely sober image.

Furthermore, in comparison to other rock stars, even their contemporaries, U2's drug intake is less than zero. Ozzy Osbourne, who took acid every day for an entire year, once snorted a line of ants because he had ran out of cocaine. Freddie Mercury would snort blow before an encore likely without exception, and engage in orgies of hundreds of people while high. And you just need to watch recentish footage of Shaun Ryder to see what he's been through, let alone read any anecdotes. Seriously, Edge's mushroom trip? Everyman college shit.

What the hell???! I'm sorry but this is so completely false it's hilarious. Why do people keep saying this outlandish crap? You need to watch some old video footage, for real.

I did. Ever compared the amount of pics of the band drinking and/or smoking pre-Zoo TV and after ? It's obvious how much they lightened up about it.

Adam's smoking at the bar, and if I remember right there's a scene where they are all drinking a beer during one of the interviews...

I'm glad this was brought up b/c something has been buggin' me for years. The interview scene is right before Desire in R&H. Two statements are made during it that I can't decipher. 1. Bono says what I always believed was "pass the beer cup" (listen closely) which never made sense to me b/c I think they were drinking from a tall boy can. Now I learn he may have said "when's the beer coming?" I'm confused! 2. During that same scene, Larry is mimicing I believe Adam's hand gestures while Adam is babbling about the "musical journey." Immediately afterwards, Edge subtly notes what Larry has just been doing and says something to the effect of "little smelly here" and moves his own hands in mock imitation of Larry. Does anybody know what was really said or what smelly references? Or is it just to be taken at face value and he was calling Larry "smell"? I know this is ridiculously stupid, but this is my big chance to clear it up!

also, bono has made many references over the years to the early
90's/AB/Zoo TV era as being for U2 what the years from ages 18-25 are for many young adults in terms of partying. He has obliquely referenced a combination of their christianity and naivete compared to other seasoned bands in the late 70s-early 80s as being a reason why they had a more "clean" image back then. I don't know if I really buy into that, but some of that is discussed in U2 at the end of the world (I think). I have also read that Larry (among others) was not particularly happy with the way Flanagan portrayed the band's partying in the book, so take whatever you read in there with a grain of salt. I remember getting the impression when I read the book that boy, Flanagan sure liked talking about how close he was with U2 and how cool he was for hanging out with them. I learned later that things may not have been what they seemed.

I think Edge just says "Larry here..." and poiting out his Adam imitation. I just re-watched it and while it's true Adam is smoking, he's the only one really seen drinking beer (the interview bit mentioned above is quoting Bono, so the "you aren't seen drinking in the movie" is aimed at him).

Flanagan did add some minor edits in his book, but I don't remember anyone being really mad at him later ? Maybe that was also part of their lightening up, to get someone up close throughout the tour.

You better hope there isn't a bootleg of this show, or if there is it confirms this...sounds like complete bullshit to me. And if it was 'off mike', no way anyone in the crowd would have heard it at a PopMart show.

I "better hope"?
I'm not afraid of the truth, smart guy.
I don't appreciate being called a liar.

If I was the length of the football field away, would it have been "off mike"?
Where did you pull that out of?
Anyone on this thread can read THAT bullshit you just invented. Nicely done.

And if there is a bootleg of the show, I would assume it is either on the bootleg or was edited out. I was motherfucking there, I heard it.

and so did this person, I guess they are bullshitting too.
U2tours.com - Concert Review

I "better hope"?

And if there is a bootleg of the show, I would assume it is either on the bootleg or was edited out. I was motherfucking there, I heard it.

maybe you were on drugs then? :wink:

I "better hope"?

Thank you for the link. I haven't read this review before. :wave:

Pretty funny. You do realize that a. your tale is dramatically different from the story that dude told and b. to my knowledge U2tours.com launched in oh, bout 2000 which means that the recollection of this dude is at least 3 or more years old and finally c. who edits bootlegs??

And I think popacrobat might be on to something here...

well i was kidding because i do believe him, i don't think that story is far fetched.

Well Jesus Christ I offered Adam a pull of my splif during a briek between songs once and he politely delcined

Following that other gu's post, Bono decline a joint (notably, not oke as was origninally stated as fact. onstage.Big whoopeie deal.

Besides, just think the of long it would have taken an overhyeratve kid who jst got tackled by security guys, to effetively roll a joint. Disrupts the how.

Speaking of 'personal tour experoeces", i was a a show where it was either the befiinning ishwilf that a hell of alot of peole sparking up amdBono took a whiff and a looked over tje massve cloud of blue stuff -weed, or or hash a it and said, qute unqute :ahh... the good stuuf. might said "adam, you stay oer here' beause at that point my gaze shifted Edge, who was just grinnin ear t ear. Larry, the the hand, well, looked lke Larry. Another true story, on my first show we were outside for quite a while in GA and there was a fair mount of drink flowing and passing of the good stuff, but I saved back the fattest j in my sock for once we were inside, to share around. Sure enough I end up on the rail in front of Adam. Well atfter letting to shorter girls in front of me, concert starts and I spark up. security riht there, no isse. so as amy one knows, if you ar front, you are gettin eye contatct, smiles and extremey closeups, esp with Adam. So we've got ths big fattie, and in the giddines/comraderie of it al I hold it up a bit, make eye contact and indicate that it's is for taking. He grinnned this big grin and said thanks but no thanks. did i take that a "I dont' do drugs" or but more as a professional "sorry I'm working right now, I need my conentration and i owe tmy guys"

I know for me, ontage people have offered weed, blow, you name, but you have to stay pro for that 2 hrs onstage, so Iearened to turn it own

After the show, with no following show the next night? Ohhhhhbooyyyyy :mad:

Oh shit, beer!

I don't think any member of U2 gets no kick from cocaine, but isn't it a bit mad that most responses to Bono's apparently reckless driving habits are given replies such as hearty :lol:s and oh that man!s from many here, while the thought of him lighting a spliff attracts riots? Even though such driving could endanger many people, but a spliff only oneself - if that? Don't you think that's a bit mad?

Well I think some of Bono's behaviour in public is dangerous enough even without him being drugged. :lol:

Well Jesus Christ I offered Adam a pull of my splif during a briek between songs once and he politely delcined

Following that other gu's post, Bono decline a joint (notably, not oke as was origninally stated as fact. onstage.Big whoopeie deal.

Besides, just think the of long it would have taken an overhyeratve kid who jst got tackled by security guys, to effetively roll a joint. Disrupts the how.

Speaking of 'personal tour experoeces", i was a a show where it was either the befiinning ishwilf that a hell of alot of peole sparking up amdBono took a whiff and a looked over tje massve cloud of blue stuff -weed, or or hash a it and said, qute unqute :ahh... the good stuuf. might said "adam, you stay oer here' beause at that point my gaze shifted Edge, who was just grinnin ear t ear. Larry, the the hand, well, looked lke Larry. Another true story, on my first show we were outside for quite a while in GA and there was a fair mount of drink flowing and passing of the good stuff, but I saved back the fattest j in my sock for once we were inside, to share around. Sure enough I end up on the rail in front of Adam. Well atfter letting to shorter girls in front of me, concert starts and I spark up. security riht there, no isse. so as amy one knows, if you ar front, you are gettin eye contatct, smiles and extremey closeups, esp with Adam. So we've got ths big fattie, and in the giddines/comraderie of it al I hold it up a bit, make eye contact and indicate that it's is for taking. He grinnned this big grin and said thanks but no thanks. did i take that a "I dont' do drugs" or but more as a professional "sorry I'm working right now, I need my conentration and i owe tmy guys"

I know for me, ontage people have offered weed, blow, you name, but you have to stay pro for that 2 hrs onstage, so Iearened to turn it own

After the show, with no following show the next night? Ohhhhhbooyyyyy :mad:

Gabe, I don't think it matters if you're telling the truth or not, because I honestly can't read a word of this.

Lay off the jays before posting, hey buddy?

I don't know man. I'm the last person you'd ever find promoting drug use but I will admit that musicians can create some pretty good stuff while on them. Look at the 70s.

I don't think any of U2's music was influenced by drugs though. I probably wouldn't be suprised to hear it was, but I don't think it was.

If I felt like correcting the errors, I would, but they'd all be spelling/grammar. So if you understood the gist, you got 100% truth.

BTW - it was vodka and JD ;)

Haha, fair enough. Actually, I can sort of tell the difference between most drunk and stoned posting, at least to some extent. That's kind of funny. But keeping with the jay theme of the thread seemed appropriate!

Are prescription drugs viable for the purpose of this conversation? Or are we sticking to the street stuff - ie narcotics. Shit like LSD, PCP, ecstasy, coke, hash, heroin, the bionic, the bomb, the puff, the blow, the black, the herb, the sensie, the cronic, the sweet Mary Jane, the shit, Ganja, split, reefa, the bad, the buddha, the home grown, the ill, the maui-maui, the method, pot, lethal turbo, tie, shake, skunk, stress, whacky weed, glaze, the boot, dimebag, Scooby Doo, bob, bogey, back yard boogie, 'shrooms, quaaludes.

Prescription drugs count.

The band was on Midol and Zoloft when they wrote HTDAAB.

I've always been happy of knowing for sure to listen to not only a clean band, but also honest men..............I really can't imagine U2 and drugs, even Adam was arrested for marjuana, but that was just a personal problem.........Then, probably we will never know if there was some drug influence, personnaly, what counts for me, is that I never felt to take drugs after having listened to a U2 cd, it never gave to me that subliminal message

... is that I never felt to take drugs after having listened to a U2 cd ...

No no no no no! You're not supposed to take drugs after listening to an album, you are supposed to take them before so you can listen while altered. Kids these days. :sigh: ;)

Back
Top Bottom