What U2 album was drug influenced?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love how 99% of the people in this thread don't know what the hell theyre talking abot.
:lol:
I love how 99% of the people in this thread don't know what the hell theyre talking abot.

I personally think Bono is referring to people whom are up all night and never sleep during the day as "ravers". Clubbing has now taken a turn in the world. Most regular folks go to a bar....arrive at 9pm and leave after last call.

Nowadays, the cool clubs don't open until 12am.......have several DJs play.......and close until 12pm in the afternoon.....at least most clubs I go to.

I wonder what people do at these all night clubs to stay awake? :huh:
I know what he was talking about and I went to several raves in my day, but one can't assume they had to do drugs to be at a rave. It would be really easy to party all night and sleep all day without illegal drugs if you have a flexible schedule. That being said I think this assumption is just as silly as those that assume they are squeaky clean. I've just never seen any evidence where it became part of their "culture" or lifestyle, so I can see maybe a song or two being "influenced" by drugs, but not a whole album.

Mmm, 'k.

[in his best Wayne Campbell]
And monkeys may fly out of my butt!

Oh, okay.... so you don't believe that human creativity is possible without intense drug use..... I think that says more about YOU than U2 or any other artists.....:hmm:

Now, BY NO MEANS am I saying U2 is squeaky clean, that they've never partied. Obviously, that isn't true. I just don't think they owe their music to it.

Oh, okay.... so you don't believe that human creativity is possible without intense drug use..... I think that says more about YOU than U2 or any other artists.....:hmm:

Though I'm loathe to take this discussion to a personal level, this case makes clear that your reading comprehension skills are nil.

It's obvious what drugs do to bands that continually take them. Look at:

Oasis
Van Halen
Elton John
Beatles (They said they recorded better off of them) John Lennon and Paul McCartney solo.
Rollingstones

The music is just stale and repetitive for each new album. If U2 were big into drugs, (especially Edge and Bono), they would be over by now.

Plus 3 members of U2 are religious and would most likely not go there. Just look at songs like Bad, running to stand still, Discotheque (ecstacy/lovie dovie), Stuck in a moment, Slide Away (with Michael Hutchence). There's probably more that I'm leaving off.

YouTube - Michael Hutchence feat Bono - "Slideaway"

Obviously, Zooropa, POP and Passengers are all albums that could have in parts been influenced by a perception of elements of drug culture. I don't really see a single U2 song as being influenced by the drugs themselves. That doesn't mean they weren't typical drunks who might have dabbled a bit here and there. It's a very natural course of events, I think the only people having trouble swallowing that are the ones who believe U2 are supposed to hold up some pristine image.

I have no doubt U2 partied as much as a lot of us did back then but in terms of listening to the music, I hear more of an anti-message in Discotheque for example, than a first person perspective.

If you think U2 haven't dabbled, then you have your head in the sand. And as hard is it may be to believe for someone who has no experience with drugs, there are differences, big differences and nuances between (just say) a drunk guy who's been on an all day binge and caves in to something he might not normally do and a person who actually seeks out the drugs in order to help them write their music. The differences are between casual (party) and habitual and also the severity of certain drugs and their addictive natures.

When I hear Discotheque, I feel like the narrator is saying "I was there and I understand, this is all quite cool but there is something more out there, people!" So in that sense, he's assuming the shoes next to the people rather than the soapbox above them. I think Bono's saying "I'm no saint" and some of you should stop treating him and U2 like they are.

You don't tap into that culture, with a predisposition to all day drinking binges and not come away having tested the waters. Especially if you are in a rock and roll band, when the temptation is an every single day event.

And now, some of you can futilely argue that U2 never went on all day drinking binges. If you think that Crumbs is the only song they ever wrote on the sauce, or if you believe they haven't been royally liquored up at several shows, than just admit you will believe ANYTHING they will tell you. They know they have millions of religious fans, they don't want to let that image down because it might influence those young people. I don't think they covet that pristine image, it's quite honestly unfair to them.

Alcohol yes. Cigarettes yes. Cocaine, heroine, marajuana no. Except for Adam Clayton with pot. Bono has seen lots of people on drugs in Dublin growing up. He knew what it was all about.

The music is too good for too long for that. If they did dabble they certainly didn't continue using. Continuous use will affect your long term cognitive functions. I don't think a band could sound this good after 30 years being like Noel Gallagher. The guy said taking drugs is like getting up in the morning and having breakfast.

Alcohol yes. Cigarettes yes. Cocaine, heroine, marajuana no. Except for Adam Clayton with pot. Bono has seen lots of people on drugs in Dublin growing up. He knew what it was all about.

QUOTE]

While none of us know for certain either way, I would say that they've most likely experimented.

Have you read "U2 at the end of the world?" There's a story in there about when U2 were in Tokyo and how Bono was so wasted that he woke up sleeping on the floor at some peoples apartment surrounded by a bunch of people who were passed out and so on. I don't have the book anymore, but I remember it sounding pretty incriminating...and if I remember right it was a point where bono realized he was getting too out of control.

It is obvious that some people here understand while others don't that there is a huge difference between partying on occasion in relatively appropriate circumstances vs. needing substances to get by and having your life spiral out of control. If anything, U2 OBVIOUSLY falls in the former category. That said, I would have loved to hang out with them towards the end of Zoomerang. Larry Mullen, maybe not so much.

I have always thought that i can hear "it makes(or takes) illicit drugs" repeated several times at the begining of the song zooropa, its kind of a distorted computer voice mixed in the background with all the "white noise'. any one else hear this? seriously this has been bothering me for 15 years !

This is from before the assumed 90s excess, during the perceived 'clean' 80s:

The '60s generation celebrated both sex and drugs as liberating. Nowadays there has been a lot of bashing of both as evil. You present a fairly chaste image.

We don't.

In the movie we never even see you take a drink. We never see you doing drugs....

The idea that we would hide the drink from the camera is idiotic beyond belief. It's another cliché that redundant minds throw at U2. "You present a chaste image." Oh god!

Do you like being intoxicated?

(Raises a finger) 'Tis better to be drunk on the spirit; however, a bottle of Jack Daniel's is sometimes handier.

Do you ever find intoxicants, including psychedelics, creatively useful?

I am already on drugs. I am the sort of person who needs to take drugs to make me normal. (laughs) I have experimented. No, I don't think that it is something that everybody has to do, one, just to be alive, or two, to write great songs.

I don't mean "have to." But do you have a positive attitude towards drugs?

I'm not going to tell you that I have a positive attitude towards people who are hurting themselves. Drug abuse is a very negative thing.

Do you believe there is such a thing as drug use as opposed to abuse?

I do believe there could be.

In your own life, have you experienced ...

I don't want to talk about that.

Though I'm loathe to take this discussion to a personal level, this case makes clear that your reading comprehension skills are nil.

I'm trying soooooooo hard to not say that you only think that because you're high! :lol:

All of that aside, :hug:I'm sorry, but if you think that Paul and John wouldn't have been as great as they were without drugs then you and I disagree in a fundamental way. DESPITE THE HYPE I don't think that humanity owes the debt to drugs which we're constantly told it does...... Sorry, but that's my opinion and you're welcome to your own.

I know that in regard to my own writing people are constantly saying to me; "Your ideas are so wild! What drugs are you on?" And I reply; "None, that's why my ideas are so wild..." :hmm::wave:

While none of us know for certain either way, I would say that they've most likely experimented.

Have you read "U2 at the end of the world?" There's a story in there about when U2 were in Tokyo and how Bono was so wasted that he woke up sleeping on the floor at some peoples apartment surrounded by a bunch of people who were passed out and so on. I don't have the book anymore, but I remember it sounding pretty incriminating...and if I remember right it was a point where bono realized he was getting too out of control.

True, but that was the booze. Was offered cocaine (or was that heroin?) and sex but declined. Is that the story where he wakes up with a python crawling on his chest ? They definitely partied hard in that era.

"In the movie we never even see you take a drink. We never see you doing drugs....

The idea that we would hide the drink from the camera is idiotic beyond belief."

LOL, was that Bono ?

Yeah. Old Bono interviews are great to read. Now he recycles the same buzz lines too often and is sort of like a politician in that no matter the topic, no matter the question, he'll steer the answer toward whatever he wants to talk about. If someone asked him about drugs now, he'd spin the answer into a line about drugs for Africa, and as soon he starts the sentence, a chorus of U2 fans would be able to finish it for him.

That movie was, I assume, Rattle and Hum ?

Well...we don't see anyone take a drink or a smoke (of any kind), despite Bono's "when's that beer coming?" question (I'm not sure but I don't think there's even a single shot of Adam smoking in there). It's just funny to have Bono then say "but we wouldn't hide a drink from the camera".
U2 was always very conscious about their image, and that includes cigarettes and alcohol (at least up to Zoo TV).

I was at the Dallas Popmart show when some kid was pulled up onstage and offered Bono some cocaine. Bono said "no thanks man, I don't do coke". He then told the security guards to let him be, but it was Dallas, so I am going to assume they arrested his dumb ass.

I hope they did, in fact. I wouldn't know because I was basically on the other side of Texas trying to watch the damn show. Fucking concerts in football stadiums. I ordered those tickets day of sale too!!!

Only a TRUE lover of benzo's would - A: Write a song about Xanax. B: Give it the title 'Xanax and Wine'. :lmao:

Back
Top Bottom