What U2 album was drug influenced?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why does it strike me that most (mis?)conceptions about performing on substances are being opined by individuals who have done neither, let alone both? :lol:

that tends to be how it goes in most cases. people who criticize a TV show often never watch a full episode. people who get up on their soap box and politic for abstinance often just can't get laid. about the only exception to the rule are republicans who jump up and down about how being gay is evil. they tend to hang out in bathroom stalls.

i don't care much about, but i think a lotta of whisky and coffe it's all i know about.

I love the hypocrisy of people here (and the world at large) who have no problem with U2 getting plastered all the time (let's not forget it was ALCOHOL that caused Adam to miss a show, not drugs), but the mere mention of drug experimentation is met with some kind of outrage. ONOZE!! EDGE DID MUSHROOMS ONCE!!! ADAM IS SOBER HE STOPPED SMOKING POT!!!

Whenever this comes up it's sad to see how prudish Interference is on this matter.

Bunch of squares.

Hey, man. It's hip to be square.

jkjcw5-1.gif

Alright, I'm not arguing for drugs, but if drugs weren't available in the music industry, many of the greatest artists of our time wouldn't have created such mind-expanding music. This isn't just pertaining to the 60's, this goes way before...even to the time of classical composers like Mozart. Drugs have always been in music. To say drugs have a bad effect on the artist is besides the point....great artists have always suffered and went to the edge for their works. Is it a good thing? For the art, yes. Maybe not for the artist, but hey that's life. Sacrifices are made for the good of art. Take Alice In Chains' album "Dirt". One of the most beautiful, dark and heavy albums ever made. It's a work of art. And you know why? Because it's real. You are living with the heroin monster inside of Layne Staley. It's all very honest, bleak and frightening. And beautiful. It's tragic that he's no longer with us. But he left behind a legacy of great music. Is it worth the human life? I'll say this...only that tormented artist has the power to clean himself up. At least he did something positive with his demons while he was still alive.

I'm not sure what I'm trying to say at this point.

Gosh...I wrote the best addition to this post....and I erased it by accident.

From a 2001 Hot Press interview with Tricky. This is the Bono we never see, but his friends do:

HP: Are there any celebrity musicians you do get along with?

Tricky: Actually, I get on with Bono real well. He’s one of the funniest people I’ve ever met. He’s nothing like what I first expected. For one of the biggest rock stars in the world, he’s so not a celebrity. He’s almost like a comedian celebrity. I’ve never seen anyone like him. I took mushrooms with him in Jamaica and I was just rolling on the floor, man. There aren’t many people I’d just listen to telling stories, but when I’m with him, I can sit down and listen to him for two or three hours and just not say anything. You know, he can do impressions of people and shit. He cracks me up. I just like Bono’s personality, full stop. What I like about him is that he doesn’t hate anything. Like me, I hate everything. His attitude is to be cool with everybody. I sometimes wish I could be more like that.

Imagine that: "He doesn't hate anything". He'd never fit in here, that's for sure!

I don't think any U2 album was clearly drug influenced. Have they been around drugs? Tried drugs? Had a bender once in a while? Probably. Many rockstars have. U2 are amazing....but they are not holy.

As a person who LOVES U2.....I also DJ parties. I play house, techno, and electro........Yeah...I dabble in the other side of music as well as play rock in a band.

Remember Paul Oakenfold? Remember Howie B? Both were at the top of their game during the rave scene that blew up huge in the 90s. Hmmmm? How did U2 manage to connect with them? Paul was at the top of his game playing drug infused stadiums to e-tarded folks loving every beat of his trance hits. He was at the top of his game. Um....how did U2 become involved with him again? Do you think the two DJs and U2 ever "partied"?:hmm:

What about when U2 used to hang with the supermodels? How do those supermodels stay so skinny? Naomi Campbell is constantly being charged with assult because of her coke problem.....oh wait....weren't Naomi and Adam an item?:hmm:

Ok..so I'm jumping to conclusions here.

After reading Anthony Kiedis' book "Scar Tissue" I realize that there is no way Bono or any of the band members have following in the footsteps of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. There is just no way.

I DID raise an eyebrow when Bono was told by his wife to not come home after Zoo TV so that he can "deflate". Hmmmm....? deflate or detox? :hmm:

I DID raise an eyebrow when that picture circulated of Bono in a dress in a hotel room during Zoo TV. I remember when Kurt Cobain used to wear a dress. :hmm:

Let's face it. The guy in the band who you wanna party with.....or could have partied with in his prime is Adam. Anyone and everyone can tell you that the bass player is all about excess ;)

Food for thought. If U2 released another biography and the word came out that the song WOWY was written after an opium experience. Would that make the song any less of a fantastic piece of art? I'd like to think most on the forum would say no. And if it WERE true that opium created such a hit, would you now hate the song? :hmm:

I believe when Bono was in Toronto and did U2 does Much for the Elevation Tour, he talks about McPhisto and meeting a guy who was just like him. Hmm....follow some guy home? Club? Late night hours? Spain you say? Oh...isn't Ibiza in Spain? :hmm:

Um...ya'll ever been to a rave and seen people who dress up at these events?

[youtube]nChZyA1ztF4[/youtube]

By no means do I condone the use of drugs. I'm just saying......Bono and company could not do what they do....if they were strung out.

....at the same time. It wouldn't surprise me that if they used their rock star dollars to "have a good time"....I would not burn my U2 shrine.

So..... in my opinion Achtung Baby, Zooropa, and Pop were definitely rave culture/electronica/dance influenced. Does that mean drugs influenced. Not fully. But perhaps a little pill pop here and there might have gotten some the creative juices flowin. :sexywink:

I DID raise an eyebrow when that picture circulated of Bono in a dress in a hotel room during Zoo TV. I remember when Kurt Cobain used to wear a dress.

...... and? Why did you raise an eyebrow? And why equate it with Kurt Cobain?

I know you're just throwing stuff out there, but .... what?

seriously...just do a pill or snort a line once in your life. go on....

:up:

That argument can be made... but perhaps the trip to India and other forces in their lives had a hand as well? Maybe if they hadn't been so absorbed by drugs they would have been able to explode creatively.... and yet not break up at such an early date too????

Mmm, 'k.

[in his best Wayne Campbell]
And monkeys may fly out of my butt!

Drugs take their toll, and apparently very quickly. Wonder why all of your favorite artists start to suck after about 5 years of great work? I'd say that's why.

and by the way Barry is still alive right?

Firstly, I never said they were my favorite artists. For one, I despise Janis Joplin; I still recognize her exalted place in rock history, though. Secondly, you guys are still mixing messages here--I'm not talking about the toll drugs take on the artist, I'm talking about the contribution they can make to the greatness of the music. Two different things altogether.

A bit of a stretch... And what did that video have to do with drugs?:huh:

Should I take a hit to understand this thread?

I personally think Bono is referring to people whom are up all night and never sleep during the day as "ravers". Clubbing has now taken a turn in the world. Most regular folks go to a bar....arrive at 9pm and leave after last call.

Nowadays, the cool clubs don't open until 12am.......have several DJs play.......and close until 12pm in the afternoon.....at least most clubs I go to.

I wonder what people do at these all night clubs to stay awake? :huh:

I distinctly remember an interview where they mentioned smoking hash during the Pop sessions. I think it would be naive to assume that they are squeaky clean. I mean, there is quite a difference between smoking a few J's here and there and doing lines of coke or handfulls of pills every day. I definitely don't think that U2 were never in the latter, but the former...well, I would be quite surprised if they hadn't.

Hell, I would be surprised to find that they don't still dabble, from time to time. Benders? Perhaps not. But maybe when listening back to recordings.....as a recording artist in my own right, there is nothing more fun than kicking back with a jibber and listening to the final mix of your new album.

And, just because Adam got busted once doesn't mean that he only smoked pot once. I smoked down every day for about 15 years and never once got busted.....

YouTube - U2 Does Much_Part 5 of 6

and um....I was there that night....front row....outside in the rain......and managed to touch Bono....this was the start of me searching for them every time they arrive in Toronto.

Ah ok thanks, I didn't realize it was the interview you mentioned in your post. Sorry! :der:

Back
Top Bottom