What songs will NEVER be played again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well yes, and no Bono yelling over the intro... and the red back. The all red intro is classic.

Musically, Streets live has been the same for the last 3 to 4 tours. Visually is where it suffered on Vertigo. If you just listen to the audio of it from Vertigo and take out Bono yelling over the beginning it really is the same musically with the same energy to it.

I agree the red background and flashing lights at the intro really enhance the song when you watch it or are there in person.

What is funny is Bono was adamant that Streets was not going to be done for the Vertigo tour until he came up with the flag concept during rehearsals.

My favorite version of one freon the past two tours was from Glastonbury, when they played it like 4 or 5 songs in, and just went right into the song with no prolonged intro.

That's a good point. I was also thinking that for the past 5 tours or so, the skeleton of their shows have been similar- specifically with Streets anchoring the show 3/4 of the way through. It would be nice to see the structure thrown into the blender, with songs other than the warhorses used as stop posts.

Glastonbury wasn't completely thrown in a blender, but having One and Streets shuffled up on the list did give a different feel. I'd love to see something like they did on Vertigo (Boston or Chicago III I think?), where a good portion of the setlist was mixed up.

I agree with seeing Bullet come back. It's timeless IMO

I can't see them ever giving up on WOWY or One. Even superstars like these guys need what I like to call the "win" songs at regular intervals in the show: the songs where you get the maximum love possible back from the audience. These are 2 of the (if not the 2) songs they get the biggest returns from. Can't see them letting go of that. I sure wouldn't. :shrug:

I always felt Pride was the biggest "win" song behind Streets, since it's got the more energetic fan response. I'm surprised they've benched it as often as they have. That being said, it's one of my least favorite songs.

I was just wondering today why I don't really like Pride. I mean, it's so iconic; the guitar riff is so memorable, the song structure is really powerful and it's got all these great visual images associated with it-- but I just don't love to listen to it.

I always felt Pride was the biggest "win" song behind Streets, since it's got the more energetic fan response. I'm surprised they've benched it as often as they have.

The way some people talk about it though, you'd think it's played at every show. :lol:

I always felt Pride was the biggest "win" song behind Streets, since it's got the more energetic fan response. I'm surprised they've benched it as often as they have. That being said, it's one of my least favorite songs.

Maybe I should have qualified by saying ballads. For up-tempo songs, I would agree Streets and Pride are probably their hugest wins.

It's funny, because Pride is such a dud live. There are so few performances that capture the anthemic magic of the studio version that you can count them on one hand. Normally it's the other way around with U2, the live performances improving immeasurably on the studio version, but Pride is the exception that proves the rule.

My personal experience is that casual fans go absolutely ballistic for SBS, more than pretty much any song other than Streets.

Musically, Streets live has been the same for the last 3 to 4 tours. Visually is where it suffered on Vertigo. If you just listen to the audio of it from Vertigo and take out Bono yelling over the beginning it really is the same musically with the same energy to it.

Not sure what you mean by the "same"..the only time that Streets has been different musically in the live setting is Popmart, no?

And, the fact that since the Vertigo tour they've been performing it back up in album tuning.

If I knew that Bono had thought of dropping Streets, I had forgotten it. That's nuts. I want to hear Streets till the day I don't breathe anymore.

I've seen U2 10 times now, and I was sure I'd seen it all at that point. But in East Lansing 2 years ago, when they played Streets, I have never seen or felt such a powerful audience reaction to a band/song in my life. They were showing the JT photo shoot desert footage on the screens, and it was as if everybody suddenly realized just how iconic this band is, and the place exploded.

Streets HAS to stay. The live version of Pride sucks so hard that I often forget the beauty of the album version.

For me, two things are needed to make the live Streets an absolutely brilliant experience, but they only achieve this about half the time:

1. A long, extended chiming intro from Edge that builds the anticipation and excitement.

2. Bono shutting his pie hole while Edge plays this.

Given that they probably only have 1-3 tours left due to age and their laziness, we probably won't hear the vast majority of their songs live again. I think Zooropa got its final airing, and I doubt we'll hear anything from NLOTH aside from maybe Boots.

If they kept playing Zooropa and NLOTH songs on the next tour, then people are still going to be complaining that they never "change it up".

Not sure what you mean by the "same"..the only time that Streets has been different musically in the live setting is Popmart, no?

I was responding to Headache's ascertion that Streets was not good on Vertigo. I thought that was pretty clear. :shrug:

I know when I listen to my Vertigo audio recordings Streets has just as much power as it always had. It was more of the visuals that ruined it on Vertigo which ironically the visuals are what caused Bono to want to play it on that tour.

Bono spoke at the end of 360 about doing arenas next time with rarities and bsides in the set. I'd be very surprised if U2 did arenas in Europe, given the exponential demand. I don't get why stadiums = static, greatest hits setlist all the time. I think 50,000 people can sit through Acrobat and Dirty Day if they still are getting One, Streets, WOWY, etc.

I've always thought the album showcase portion of the set would be a good idea. Somewhere in the middle of the show, pick a past album, and play 3-4 songs from it. Sort of like in Vertigo Tour when the picture of the Boy album was on the screens and they played An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart and Electric Co. One night could be the JT set, and they'd do Bullet, Running, Red Hill Mining Town and One Tree hill. The next night could be Pop and do Mofo, Disco, Velvet Dress and Gone. I don't think this would bother too many of the casuals, and it'd keep the hardcores guessing and the setlists fresh. Although it'd suck to miss the Zooropa set and get the NLOTH set instead.

I don't get why stadiums = static, greatest hits setlist all the time. I think 50,000 people can sit through Acrobat and Dirty Day if they still are getting One, Streets, WOWY, etc.

Keep in mind that they did play 7 NLOTH songs on the first leg of their stadium tours in the U.S. and Europe. It seemed like people were able to sit through those and the likes of Ultra Violet, so it's not like these are "static" greatest hits tours. We still heard most of the new album with a few 'rarities' too.

In terms of the last leg, where only three NLOTH songs were played, I'm not really sure what else they could have done. Are they still supposed to promote a 2.5 year old album by that point? If they kept all those songs in the set list, would we still be talking about how it's the same songs as 2009? It's not as clear cut as it'd seem to be.

By 2011 they should've had another album out to promote at those shows. There were even rumors of a 3rd European leg in August/September, which I think didn't happen once the album was nixed. I kind of think had it not been for Spiderman they would've released at least an EP. Early 2011 was when they really got busy with spidey. Can you imagine the tour stats had they done another leg in Europe? Probably be closer to $900 million.

I was responding to Headache's ascertion that Streets was not good on Vertigo. I thought that was pretty clear. :shrug:

I know when I listen to my Vertigo audio recordings Streets has just as much power as it always had. It was more of the visuals that ruined it on Vertigo which ironically the visuals are what caused Bono to want to play it on that tour.

The visuals and intro to that song have become so incredibly intertwined that you're probably right... although bono yelling over the opening of the song had nothing to do with visuals...

But yea, Streets and the red screen have become one. It adds to the build up, the religious, spine tingling moment that is the start of the song.

The visuals and intro to that song have become so incredibly intertwined that you're probably right... although bono yelling over the opening of the song had nothing to do with visuals...

But yea, Streets and the red screen have become one. It adds to the build up, the religious, spine tingling moment that is the start of the song.

Oh, I agree completely. The other part was Pride leading into Streets. That did not work either. I thought it was bad set list pacing. Really my only complaint about the Vertigo tour was that song transition and the flag visuals for Streets.

Obviously I'm partial to the Vertigo tour. I know I'm in the minority. But they brought back Electric Co, An Cat Dubh, Running To Stand Still and Zoo Station. City was a great intro song and the shows they ended with Bad were just outstanding. Electric Co was one of my dream songs for them to do. So I have that checked off my list of songs to see them play. Next tour they need to do God Part II and I can check off the other one!!! :)

Ah

Gotcha! (And wasnt taking a run at you at all, sorry if it came off that way, just trying to contribute to it from a musical standpoint..)

I did not think you were, I just did not understand what was not clear. No harm, no foul.

Oh, I agree completely. The other part was Pride leading into Streets. That did not work either. I thought it was bad set list pacing. Really my only complaint about the Vertigo tour was that song transition and the flag visuals for Streets.

Obviously I'm partial to the Vertigo tour. I know I'm in the minority. But they brought back Electric Co, An Cat Dubh, Running To Stand Still and Zoo Station. City was a great intro song and the shows they ended with Bad were just outstanding. Electric Co was one of my dream songs for them to do. So I have that checked off my list of songs to see them play. Next tour they need to do God Part II and I can check off the other one!!! :)

I'm with you on the Vertigo tour. Only things I'd change would be Streets, add you mentioned, and i much prefer the angry classic Bullet solo as compared to the subdued Vertigo tour solo

at the Hartford Vertigo show, Edge played the solo more like Elevation-style. wasn't the slow version. much better. Easily my favorite bullet of the tour.

I must be in the minority too then. I too enjoyed the Vertigo tour shows more than the 360 shows (I think that was the context) -- and I thought Streets was better on the former as well.

Could have been the stadiums / arena dynamic, but I do remember feeling a bit let down by Streets last time out. Perhaps my expectations were too high though, it is Top 3 Live for me.

I'd be happy if Bullet continues with an an A-Rod sized suspension and rides the pine next tour as well.

I must be in the minority too then. I too enjoyed the Vertigo tour shows more than the 360 shows (I think that was the context) -- and I thought Streets was better on the former as well.

Could have been the stadiums / arena dynamic, but I do remember feeling a bit let down by Streets last time out. Perhaps my expectations were too high though, it is Top 3 Live for me.

I'd be happy if Bullet continues with an an A-Rod sized suspension and rides the pine next tour as well.

There generally seems to be some negativity towards HTDAAB and the Vertigo tour which personally I do not get. Bomb could have been a tad more cohesive but overall I think it had some great songs that translated very well live and then factor in the older songs I mentioned previously. I may be in the minority, but I still enjoy "Original Of The Species", "Miracle Drug" and "Sometimes" and they were for the most part, great live songs as well. I like Crumbs on occassion also and thought it could have been great live if they worked on it more. Then the standard songs Vertigo and City were and still are great live. City was a great opening song as well. Something 360 lacked until they came up with the EBTTRT remix intro.

I was glad Bullet was dropped on 360, It would not bother me either way if it was or was not played on the next tour. It is an ok song, but it has been done to death at this point. My guess is it will be back though.

I don't think anyone listend to my sample posted as I had a bit more tagged onto the end of it. ;)

Back
Top Bottom