What songs do you predict will be on the NEXT tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would not count the ASOH from Slane or the Oakland versions as "definitive" in any way. Slane 1 was a mess, they did not rehearse it like they needed to and Oakland was impromptu acoustic. It is like judging One Tree Hill based on its last impromtu performance in Chicago in 2011.

ASOH well rehearsed and placed properly in the setlist would go down just fine, especially if it is arenas. I thought the Unf. Fire and JT versions of the song were great. :shrug: Anyone that has followed the band for a significant time knows the ASOH video was played quite often on MTV back in the day. It is not exactly an obscure deep cut track.

I don't even count the Oakland ASOH. That was just some sloppy screwing around with someone in the audience. The last time the band played it was Slane.

I agree that the TUF and JT tour performances of the song were better, but I still don't think they ever quite sorted that one out live. I'm just not entirely certain that ASOH is a song that, unlike most U2 songs, can be improved upon live. I do think it will fare better in an arena, and I'd love it if they brought it back...I'm just not counting on it.

I don't even count the Oakland ASOH. That was just some sloppy screwing around with someone in the audience. The last time the band played it was Slane.

I agree that the TUF and JT tour performances of the song were better, but I still don't think they ever quite sorted that one out live. I'm just not entirely certain that ASOH is a song that, unlike most U2 songs, can be improved upon live. I do think it will fare better in an arena, and I'd love it if they brought it back...I'm just not counting on it.

I am not predicting it will be played. I seriously doubt it. I am just saying they could play it and it would go down fine with the audience if they rehearsed it properly.

ASOH was good on the UF tour, not as good on JT tour and quite terrible at Slane..... I don't mind if they don't play it, I prefer songs like Exit, One tree hill, TUF or even Bullet.

If they were ever going to resurrect it, they wold have for early 360, there's a kinship between NLOTH & TUF they acknowledged by bringing back the title track & MLK, but they conspicuously left out ASOH despite there being certain elements reminiscint of it in a number of tracks.

And yeah, I'm not sure I agree with the idea it never worked live, the versions from TUF tour were great.

If they were ever going to resurrect it, they wold have for early 360, there's a kinship between NLOTH & TUF they acknowledged by bringing back the title track & MLK, but they conspicuously left out ASOH despite there being certain elements reminiscint of it in a number of tracks.

And yeah, I'm not sure I agree with the idea it never worked live, the versions from TUF tour were great.

I don't think that had anything to do with it. If there was such a kinship why did they drop Pride, the lead track from Unf. Fire for a stretch on the tour. Then drop Bad for portions. I think the song TUF struck a chord with what they were trying to do. So they decided to try to play it again. Plus it was a single. But I do not the entire Unf. Fire album is comparable to No Line as an album at all. MLK was done for political purposes. I do not see any tie with it and No Line either. There is no thought within U2 that ASOH just does not work so they wont play it. They would not have even attempted it at Slane in 01 if they thought that. Slane would have come off much better if they had rehearsed it properly.

On another note someone mentioned earlier about us wanting U2 to be more spontaneous. I do not expect spontaneity out of U2. They really are not that great at it. They are not a "jam" band that can just rip into a song off the cuff. But what they are capable of doing is rehearsing 40-50 songs and having them down and interchanging them in the setlists each night. Their static setlists are what I do not like. I understand why they do it. But they do not have to and that is where they need to step out of their box. They have had brief moments of doing it on tour but they always seem to go back to the setlist rut route.

Unfortunately all of this is correct, I think if it ever had a chance to see the light of day again it would have been last tour.... also disagree it never worked live, my minds eye thinks back to seeing them during TUF tour and they killed that song.

I might be remembering this incorrectly but I thought there was a quote somewhere that they took it out of rotation because Bono was struuggling with the "OOOOHHH OHH" parts, does anybody elese remember this?

I might be remembering this incorrectly but I thought there was a quote somewhere that they took it out of rotation because Bono was struuggling with the "OOOOHHH OHH" parts, does anybody elese remember this?

I can picture the ASOH threads where people complain about Bono "talking" those parts now (a la WOWY). :lol:

Shine like stars, Do you hear me coming Lord are great; but I'd rather Bono actually SING With or Without You and One first. Instead of talking through them as he's been doing on the past few tours.

Depends on the direction of the album. If this is a Gorillaz meets Broken Bells meets U2 that I'm expecting then the songs they'll unearth will be gems from the Achtung and Zooropa records.

I'm guessing two songs in particular...

1. Love is Blindness. Due in part to its rebirth in the Gatsby movie
2. Lemon. Due in part to a hunch I have that we're going to hear a lot of falsetto on the new album.

Depends on the direction of the album. If this is a Gorillaz meets Broken Bells meets U2 that I'm expecting then the songs they'll unearth will be gems from the Achtung and Zooropa records.

I'm guessing two songs in particular...

1. Love is Blindness. Due in part to its rebirth in the Gatsby movie
2. Lemon. Due in part to a hunch I have that we're going to hear a lot of falsetto on the new album.

Love Is Blindness I could see being done. Edge commented how much he liked the cover version done on the Achtung Baby covers album as well. Or it will just be tagged onto some other song as an outro as Bono is fond of doing. Please no acoustic though!

Lemon, I do not see at this point. May change my mind after hearing the new album. But if they do, I hope they actually play it live this time. It was barely a "live" version on the Zoomerang tour.

Forget the older songs. I'm just hoping they don't chop off several new songs mid-tour...

How about you actually hear the new songs first before you make up your mind about that?

What are you talking about ? The band decided to drop Breathe/Unknown caller/No line, and I hope no such thing happens to any new songs.

What are you talking about ? The band decided to drop Breathe/Unknown caller/No line, and I hope no such thing happens to any new songs.

I think that djerdap is saying that in the event the album blows, it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if the new songs disappeared during the tour.

As U2 are soon going to be a semi-retired band with 1 album in 10 years, the larger question might be -- does anyone under 40 care what the next setlist is?

It does seem odd to me that they spent the early 2000's trying to cultivate younger fans, and then released only one mediocre LP in nearly a decade. There's now a whole younger generation who basically doesn't know who they are.

Is anyone actually curious about what songs they're going to play? They'll play 6-8 new songs and their greatest hits. Their sets are as predictable as can be.

I eagerly await the smartass who says "Oh, Zooropa and Your Blue Room were predictable?" while ignoring that they are the exception that proves the rule.

Their narrow view of their audience and Bono's need for ego blowing requires that they play the same tired shit they've been playing for 20-30 years. Also, he seems pretty into the nostalgia aspect of music, being taken back to an earlier time when he hears a band play a song he loved when young. Maybe that was a midlife crisis talking. Otherwise that's sad, and a fucked up way to experience music. Who wants to go back? It's a waste of time, and a dead end. It's a big fat line on the horizon!

I really hope they play No Line On The Horizon, but they'll probably continue to torture us with those sexy boots.

Is anyone actually curious about what songs they're going to play? They'll play 6-8 new songs and their greatest hits. Their sets are as predictable as can be.

I eagerly await the smartass who says "Oh, Zooropa and Your Blue Room were predictable?" while ignoring that they are the exception that proves the rule.

Their narrow view of their audience and Bono's need for ego blowing requires that they play the same tired shit they've been playing for 20-30 years. Also, he seems pretty into the nostalgia aspect of music, being taken back to an earlier time when he hears a band play a song he loved when young. Maybe that was a midlife crisis talking. Otherwise that's sad, and a fucked up way to experience music. Who wants to go back? It's a waste of time, and a dead end. It's a big fat line on the horizon!

I really hope they play No Line On The Horizon, but they'll probably continue to torture us with those sexy boots.

Out of 110 shows on the 360 tour, about 11 songs were played at 100+ of them (including 3 "new" songs). While that's almost half of the show, I don't quite think that reaches the point of predictability. There's a lot of bands out there that play only "the hits" and are lucky to change maybe 1 or 2 songs by the tour's end. Playing most of a new album during a show, or even one or two newer songs, isn't exactly playing it safe either. Maybe if Bono's back injury didn't occur in 2010, they would've kept a few of those songs in the rotation longer for the U.S. leg. But I suppose we would've been livid about them "not changing it up" if they were still opening with Breathe or Stingray in 2011, right?

I don't think anyone would have predicted they'd pull out Ultra Violet, Zooropa, Your Blue Room, Electrical Storm, or even TUF before the tour either. And if one of those became 100+ show staples, we would be saying yet again how "they never change it up." Damned if you, damned if you don't I guess.

(Does it always have to come down to math??)

Not that it matters, but just to clarify my point: Atomic Bomb was released Nov. 2004. Therefore, if U2 don't release a new recording until, say, Dec. 2014, there would have been a ten-year period -- Nov. 2004 to Nov. 2014 -- with one album released. They would only have to go another year and a few months for this to occur.

Obviously the more important point was: it's been too long between albums.

Not that it matters, but just to clarify my point: Atomic Bomb was released Nov. 2004. Therefore, if U2 don't release a new recording until, say, Dec. 2014, there would have been a ten-year period -- Nov. 2004 to Nov. 2014 -- with one album released. They would only have to go another year and a few months for this to occur.

This is what we call "cherry-picking statistics to reach a foregone conclusion".

The period between albums for U2 is - on average - four and a half years or so at the moment. Saying that "U2 releases once every ten years" both relies on creative rounding and carries a misleading message with it.

Back
Top Bottom