What songs do you predict will be on the NEXT tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just for the hell of it, I've compiled a list every pre-2000 song that wasn't played on either 360 or Vertigo. That means it's a list of songs that haven't been played in at least twelve years and at most thirty-three years. I've not counted snippets or non-tour performances(i.e. SATS was played at the Clinton thing in 2011, VDL was played on Irish TV in 2008)

Songs last played before the Boy tour
Shadows And Tall Trees - July 27th, 1980

Songs last played on the October Tour
Stories For Boys - March 27th, 1982
Another Time, Another Place - May 14, 1982
With A Shout - May 15, 1982
Rejoice - August 7, 1982

Songs last played on the War Tour
Fire - February 26, 1983
Like A Song - February 26, 1983
Tomorrow - May 5, 1983
A Celebration - November 29, 1983

Songs last played on the Unforgettable Fire Tour
Twilight - September 24, 1984
Indian Summer Sky - February 4, 1985
Surrender - March 22, 1985
I Fall Down - April 18, 1985
I Threw A Brick - April 18, 1985
A Day Without Me - April 18, 1985
Wire - July 7, 1985
Seconds - August 25, 1985

Songs last played on the Joshua Tree Tour
Silver And Gold - November 11, 1987
Trip Through Your Wires - December 20, 1987

Songs last played on Lovetown
Exit - October 14, 1989
October - November 11, 1989
Two Hearts Beat As One - December 27, 1989
God Part II - January 9, 1990

Songs last played on ZooTV
So Cruel - September 15, 1992
Van Diemen's Land - July 6, 1993
When Love Comes To Town - August 28, 1993
Babyface - August 20, 1993
Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World - December 10, 1993
Love Is Blindness - December 10, 1993(the Vertigo performance was a minute long, any shorter and it would be considered a snippet, imo, so it's hard for me to really count it)
Numb - December 10, 1993
Lemon - December 10, 1993
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car - December 10, 1993
Dirty Day - December 10, 1993

Songs last played on Popmart
Do You Feel Loved - May 9, 1997
If God Will Send His Angels - June 27, 1997
Miami - November 14, 1997
Mofo - March 21, 1998
Last Night On Earth - March 21, 1998
If You Wear That Velvet Dress - March 21, 1998
Please(full band) - March 21, 1998

Songs last played on the Elevation Tour
Hawkmoon 269 - July 12, 2001
11 O'Clock Tick Tock - August 21, 2001
Sweetest Thing - August 22, 2001
Gone - August 27, 2001
Wake Up Dead Man - October 16, 2001
Staring At The Sun - October 24, 2001
A Sort Of Homecoming - November 16, 2001
Slow Dancing - November 16, 2001
Please(acoustic) - December 2, 2001
In God's Country - December 2, 2001

Songs never played
Stranger In A Strange Land
Is That All?
Drowning Man
The Refugee
Red Light
Promenade
4th Of July
Elvis Presley And America
Red Hill Mining Town
Heartland
Acrobat
Some Days Are Better Than Others
The Playboy Mansion
Peace On Earth
When I Look At The World
Grace
One Step Closer
Stand Up Comedy
Fez-Being Born
White As Snow
Cedars Of Lebanon

Considering that An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, The Ocean, The Electric Co., Gloria, full band "40", Running To Stand Still, Zoo Station, The First Time, The Wanderer, and Miss Sarajevo made comeback appearances on Vertigo, and Scarlet, The Unforgettable Fire, Mothers Of The Disappeared, Love Rescue Me, Ultraviolet(Light My Way), Zooropa, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, and Electrical Storm made comeback appearances(or in ES's case firs-time appearances) on 360, it's not hard to imagine 5-10 of the above making comeback appearances on the next tour. It seems like it might be a pattern now to bring a handful of songs back each tour that haven't been played in a while.

Wait, Hawkmoon was played on Elevation? Wasn't that a snippet? If not, how have I missed it?

Just for the hell of it, I've compiled a list every pre-2000 song that wasn't played on either 360 or Vertigo. That means it's a list of songs that haven't been played in at least twelve years and at most thirty-three years. I've not counted snippets or non-tour performances(i.e. SATS was played at the Clinton thing in 2011, VDL was played on Irish TV in 2008)

Considering that An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, The Ocean, The Electric Co., Gloria, full band "40", Running To Stand Still, Zoo Station, The First Time, The Wanderer, and Miss Sarajevo made comeback appearances on Vertigo, and Scarlet, The Unforgettable Fire, Mothers Of The Disappeared, Love Rescue Me, Ultraviolet(Light My Way), Zooropa, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, and Electrical Storm made comeback appearances(or in ES's case firs-time appearances) on 360, it's not hard to imagine 5-10 of the above making comeback appearances on the next tour. It seems like it might be a pattern now to bring a handful of songs back each tour that haven't been played in a while.

That's a fun little exercise. Thanks.

It was indeed just a snippet. Which make's Hawkmoon's last performance on December 18, 1989 in Amsterdam.

That's my bad, sorry.

And I really wish the 60-minute limit for editing one's one posts would be lifted. Never seen the point. Now I can't fix my list.

Please was played full band once on Elevation -- third leg in Baltimore.

You're right, forgot about that...it's a little bit of a different arrangement at the end than the Popmart versions, but still, yeah.

Revised:

Songs last played before the Boy tour
Shadows And Tall Trees - July 27, 1980

Songs last played on the October Tour
Stories For Boys - March 27, 1982
Another Time, Another Place - May 14, 1982
With A Shout - May 15, 1982
Rejoice - August 7, 1982

Songs last played on the War Tour
Fire - February 26, 1983
Like A Song - February 26, 1983
Tomorrow - May 5, 1983
A Celebration - November 29, 1983

Songs last played on the Unforgettable Fire Tour
Twilight - September 24, 1984
Indian Summer Sky - February 4, 1985
Surrender - March 22, 1985
I Fall Down - April 18, 1985
I Threw A Brick - April 18, 1985
A Day Without Me - April 18, 1985
Wire - July 7, 1985
Seconds - August 25, 1985

Songs last played on the Joshua Tree Tour
Silver And Gold - November 11, 1987
Trip Through Your Wires - December 20, 1987

Songs last played on Lovetown
Exit - October 14, 1989
October - November 11, 1989
Hawkmoon 269 - December 18, 1989
Two Hearts Beat As One - December 27, 1989
God Part II - January 9, 1990

Songs last played on ZooTV
So Cruel - September 15, 1992
Van Diemen's Land - July 6, 1993
Babyface - August 20, 1993
When Love Comes To Town - August 28, 1993
Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World - December 10, 1993
Love Is Blindness - December 10, 1993(the Vertigo performance was a minute long, any shorter and it would be considered a snippet, imo, so it's hard for me to really count it)
Numb - December 10, 1993
Lemon - December 10, 1993
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car - December 10, 1993
Dirty Day - December 10, 1993

Songs last played on Popmart
Do You Feel Loved - May 9, 1997
If God Will Send His Angels - June 27, 1997
Miami - November 14, 1997
Mofo - March 21, 1998
Last Night On Earth - March 21, 1998
If You Wear That Velvet Dress - March 21, 1998

Songs last played on the Elevation Tour
11 O'Clock Tick Tock - August 21, 2001
Sweetest Thing - August 22, 2001
Gone - August 27, 2001
Wake Up Dead Man - October 16, 2001
Please(full band) - October 19, 2001
Staring At The Sun - October 24, 2001
A Sort Of Homecoming - November 16, 2001
Slow Dancing - November 16, 2001
Please(acoustic) - December 2, 2001
In God's Country - December 2, 2001

I really really really hope that A Sort of Homecoming makes a comeback, and to a lesser extent, Last Night on Earth.

That is a depressing list.

indeed..... some unbelievable songs in there, this shows that U2 is not digging hard into their best ever songs.

If I had to choose 5 rarities for the next tour, here they are:

11 o'clock tick tock (but normal speed, not like Elevation tour)
Twilight
Exit
Wire
Mofo

:drool::drool::drool:

I'm putting in my every tour request for God Part II.

Maybe Dallas will convince them to play it again. At least someone close to the band asks them to play it every tour.

Other songs that I would "like" to see:

A Sort Of Homecoming (full band, no acoustic BS)
Hawkmoon 269 (see above)
In God's Country (see above)
Exit
One Tree Hill (make this a semi staple at least, most fans at least like it live and would like to see them play that do not live down under, or in Santiago :shrug: Chicago was an impromptu mess)

Songs that will probably return:

Bullet (glad it was skipped last tour but time to come back)

Then it will be the interchangeable standard warhorses.

One Tree Hill (make this a semi staple at least, most fans at least like it live and would like to see them play that do not live down under, or in Santiago :shrug: Chicago was an impromptu mess)

The impromptu nature was part of its appeal though. For a fan base that wants unpredictability to be a bit more present in the set lists, it was a pretty nice surprise.

... that and maybe I was at that particular show and started screaming at Bono to play the song the first second they mentioned it. :D

I'm putting in my every tour request for God Part II.

Songs that will probably return:

Bullet (glad it was skipped last tour but time to come back)

I could see God Part II going into Bullet.

Other songs that I would "like" to see:

A Sort Of Homecoming (full band, no acoustic BS)
Hawkmoon 269 (see above)
In God's Country (see above)
Exit

You have excellent taste. ASOH, U2's best song, is long overdue to be played again. I think the last time they played it was at Slane in 2001. I really wish there was a good live recording of this song out there somewhere...in fact I'm not sure they've ever really done this song justice live. Which could be why they never play it.

I'd also love to see One Tree Hill be a regular part of the setlists (well, at least on the nights I'm there). I was looking forward to hearing the version from Auckland when I heard it was going to be on the fan club CD. Unfortunately, they fucked the song up that night. This is also one of U2's Top 5.

I have a feeling The Joshua Tree is going to be featured on this next tour in the same way AB was on the latter parts of 360...just my guess. In that case, I could definitely see both OTH, and/or In God's Country, and possibly even Exit, making a comeback (though it's hard to see where the latter would fit in a setlist).

If I ever hear One Tree Hill Live, I will weep with joy.

If I ever hear A Sort of Homecoming Live, I will weep with joy and then likely shimmer out of existence, never to be seen or heard from again.

I have a feeling The Joshua Tree is going to be featured on this next tour in the same way AB was on the latter parts of 360...just my guess. In that case, I could definitely see both OTH, and/or In God's Country, and possibly even Exit, making a comeback (though it's hard to see where the latter would fit in a setlist).
I definitely would support this. Songs like One Tree Hill, Running to Stand Still, and even Bullet need to come back as regulars.

If I ever hear One Tree Hill Live, I will weep with joy.

If I ever hear A Sort of Homecoming Live, I will weep with joy and then likely shimmer out of existence, never to be seen or heard from again.

I'd pay good money to watch you shimmer. (not out of existence, though - that would be sad.)

Also, totally agree re both songs. They're on the top of my U2 Live Bucket List.

I'd pay good money to watch you shimmer.

Edward.jpg

You have excellent taste. ASOH, U2's best song, is long overdue to be played again. I think the last time they played it was at Slane in 2001. I really wish there was a good live recording of this song out there somewhere...in fact I'm not sure they've ever really done this song justice live. Which could be why they never play it.

I was there at Slane I and I have to say, ASOH was pretty poor, and my memory is that it went down like a lead balloon in front of 80,000 people. (I do love the song on record, but agree that live it's never really taken off. I think it might be the driving bass on the album version that's not been replicated.)

I was there at Slane I and I have to say, ASOH was pretty poor, and my memory is that it went down like a lead balloon in front of 80,000 people. (I do love the song on record, but agree that live it's never really taken off. I think it might be the driving bass on the album version that's not been replicated.)

I was also at slane and ye it was a bit of a scratch performance of asoh nice for the occasion though!

Yeah, I was afraid it went something like that. I know that version and was disappointed, but I as hoping it was just the crappy audience boot I heard it on. Like I said, I'm not sure I've ever heard a live version of the song that does it justice...even the fake live version on WAIA (which isn't even the whole song). TUF is my favourite U2 record, and ironically I prefer listening to live U2 and almost never put on the studio albums. But TUF is the exception. I just think the atmospheric production and the roomy, impressionistic sounds of most of the songs on that record don't transfer very well live. Though clearly Bad and Pride and the exceptions, and I thought they did a pretty nice job with TUF on 360 (did they even play the whole song though?).

Your Slane story isn't encouraging, and the fact they didn't bother to play it the second night should tell us something. If they couldn't get that crowd psyched up for that song in that venue, I'm not holding out much hope for it coming back next time around. But who knows, the song is more suited for an arena, and that's yet another reason to hope for a smaller venue tour this time.

This sort of explains the overlooked part of these set list arguments... how many of these songs would actually sound good in a live setting? A lot of them might look good on paper or sound great on the studio recording, but it could be a different story when it comes to performing them at shows.

The Slane performance of ASOH was the second-to-last performance of it. There was a second performance on the Elevation tour, in Oakland. It sounds like it wasn't a planned performance...they brought a fan on stage, he started playing it on guitar, Bono and Edge gave it their all to go along with it, but Bono couldn't remember many lyrics. Listen for yourself:

U2 - A Sort Of Homecoming (Live Oakland 2001-11-16) - YouTube

Your Slane story isn't encouraging, and the fact they didn't bother to play it the second night should tell us something. If they couldn't get that crowd psyched up for that song in that venue, I'm not holding out much hope for it coming back next time around. But who knows, the song is more suited for an arena, and that's yet another reason to hope for a smaller venue tour this time.

This is spot on.

To me a gig is all about atmosphere, and on that scale you're not going to lift my night by playing an obscure song that dampens everyone else's evening and deflates the vibe. It's for that reason that I've never been comfortable with all of these calls for changing setlists, bringing back random album tracks, etc. I don't listen to live U2 at all, so for me it's all about the experience. And I don't remember An Cat Dubh causing Croke Park to erupt with glee in 2005. At the scale of 80,000 people in a stadium, you *must* play to your strengths - and those strengths mean playing to the widest possible denominator while retaining your artistic integrity.

That said, Slane I is the greatest gig I've ever been to - really amazing stuff. (As an aside, to prove that the DVD includes footage from both gigs, I've noticed myself among the sea of people jumping up and down to Streets. That was incredible.) I also thought the Unforgettable Fire sounded amazing on the last tour - and kept the audience's attention. But then it was a minor hit, is on the 80s best of, and the visuals they used for that song looked brilliant on the 360 stage. And isn't Acrobat!

Back
Top Bottom