What song makes you "sentimental"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedRocksU2

Blue Crack Addict
For me, Kite (Live in Australia)....especially after the dedication to Cate. Edge's guitar is amazing after that.
*listening to it right now*

:hmm: I think I'd have to say...

With Or Without You
One Tree Hill

might have to give it more thought. If it's other artists, I'd go with John Lennon's "Imagine"

-Stuck in a Moment - particularly the verse "And you are such a fool, to worry like you do..."

-Wake up Dead Man from Slane - the way Bono sings this version of the song makes me very
sentimental

Sentimental can mean a few things. I'll opt for "nostalgic".

Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty always makes me sentimental. I heard that song a lot as a kid and it conjures up very distinct images and memories from my childhood.

A Sort of Homecoming is my favorite song, bar none, and it too makes certain memories or images from my past materialize in my head....it also moves me on other levels, so these things conspire to make this song quite impactful.

In terms of nostalgia... none. U2's music makes me think about the future.

"Fuck the past, kiss the future"

For me, Kite (Live in Australia)....especially after the dedication to Cate. Edge's guitar is amazing after that.

:yes: I came in here to write exactly that... let me elaborate :wink:

My grandfather passed away, and Kite was the first song I listened to after it happened and I grew very attached to it and its lyrics ("I know that this is not goodbye..."). When our leg finally came around, I heard they soundchecked Kite in Brisbane and that stirred me. Then they actually played it in Brisbane, and I remember Axver saying it was amazing. When I finally saw it live, like I was so desperately hoping to, it was probably one of the best moments of my life. Not to mention the performance was incredible, to put it lightly.

".....but you feel like sentimental....."

Stranger In A Strange Land, just reminds me of my U2 addiction of a few years ago, first year of Uni, I was OBSESSED with all things U2, and this song always reminds me of this obsession.

Electrical Storm, a single at the time I first became a hardcore U2 fan, was on the radio a fair bit as I began listening to the two best-ofs I got for my 17th b'day. By no means my favourite U2 song, but was very frequently listened to at an important time in my U2 fandom.

:yes: I came in here to write exactly that... let me elaborate :wink:

My grandfather passed away, and Kite was the first song I listened to after it happened and I grew very attached to it and its lyrics ("I know that this is not goodbye..."). When our leg finally came around, I heard they soundchecked Kite in Brisbane and that stirred me. Then they actually played it in Brisbane, and I remember Axver saying it was amazing. When I finally saw it live, like I was so desperately hoping to, it was probably one of the best moments of my life. Not to mention the performance was incredible, to put it lightly.
Wow, that's exactly the same with me. I listened to Kite when my Grandfather passed away also. The words expressed all the feelings I had at the time. The first U2 show I've been to is vertigo, so I've never been able to experience it live, but maybe they'll play it on the next tour.
Another song that is sentimental to me is With or Without You. It's just hauntingly beautiful.

Sentimental by Porcupine Tree.

Oh, wait, U2. Well then, the October album. And COBL, a bit.

So Cruel
COBL
With or Without You
All I Want Is You
OOTS
SIAMYCGOO
Kite (Live from Australia)
Slow Dancing
The Playboy Mansion
Hawkmoon 269
Unchained Melody

Albums . . . . The Unforgettable Fire

Songs . . .

Bad (particularly Live Aid version . . . I get goosebumps even thinking about it)
The Unforgettable Fire
All I Want Is You (Slane . . . and the segue into Streets)
Exit
Running To Stand Still (Zoo TV Sydney in particular)
Acrobat
Gone

maudlin little chick sometimes eh? :)

great thread by the way :up:

Wow, that's exactly the same with me. I listened to Kite when my Grandfather passed away also. The words expressed all the feelings I had at the time. The first U2 show I've been to is vertigo, so I've never been able to experience it live, but maybe they'll play it on the next tour.
Another song that is sentimental to me is With or Without You. It's just hauntingly beautiful.

Agree with all of that completely. I hope you get to hear it live a la the Vertigo Tour, because it was otherworldly.

With or Without You and Running to Stand Still also do it for me, in fact so does most of JT.

Miracle Drug and COBL because they were the first songs I got into it.

Also UTEOTW and Horses from AB.

In terms of nostalgia... none. U2's music makes me think about the future.

"Fuck the past, kiss the future"

Absolutely. :yes: I'm not a nostalgic person, I don't want the past back and I don't believe the past was better in any way. I get sentimental by many songs, from U2 and other bands/artists, but mostly because of myself or things I'm going through in my life. There are many songs, but not always the same, it's changing, depending on my mood or the things that are happening in my life. Nostalgia is something I don't really like, I prefer to live in the present and take things as they come, and always look to the future. I like music that really touches and moves me beyond sentimentality.

One Tree Hill (Live in Japan). The last song they played at my first U2 concert in Nov. 2006. The moment and the song was absolutely beautiful.

Mysterious Ways because that was probably the first U2 song I ever liked. Always takes me back to senior year 1991-92.

Kite: "I know that this is not goodbye. . ."

Kite is just playing on the radio here :hyper:

Reminds me of how great the song is and how even greater the 2006 live version is. That's a version that really makes me sentimental.

Lots of their music does. But the main one is Gloria, because it was the very first time I saw or heared of them, in them days it was more like U2 WHO? :ohmy: So I am glad I was there before everyone knew their name :heart: When I hear that record, it whizzes me right back to them days :cute:

love it........ edge rocks n bonos voice is stunning.... n the didgeridoo
is a nice touch 2
i think its the best version of kite ever:heart:

Back
Top Bottom