What is U2's most popular song ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd go for what is U2's least popular song according to Interference

The Refugee
Red Light
Grace
The Hands That Built America
Boots
Stand Up Comedy
Ordinary Love
The Miracle
Song For Someone
The Best Thing

In the 2000's songs ranking thread, Grace was in the bottom 5 in like every single person's list (up until a certain point anyway, when I stopped checking)

Elevation would definitely be on the "least popular on Interference" list.

It really is amazing just how differently that song is viewed by hardcore fans versus casuals. I personally think it's a bit silly and I wish it weren't played live so much, but there are far worse songs in the band's catalogue.

Elevation would definitely be on the "least popular on Interference" list.

It really is amazing just how differently that song is viewed by hardcore fans versus casuals. I personally think it's a bit silly and I wish it weren't played live so much, but there are far worse songs in the band's catalogue.

When it first came out, I hated Elevation. I thought it was the stinker of the 4 singles of ATYCLB, the other 3 of which I loved (and still do).

But over the years, Elevation has grown on me a lot. I don't hate it anymore, and I'd even go as far to say I like it. I still prefer the other 3 singles of ATYCLB, but Elevation has certainly been a grower for me. I think nostalgia has had its role in that a little though - ATYCLB was the 'new' U2 album when I first became a fan.

Oh I will definitely take Elevation over Stuck in a Moment.

Now there's a song I'm both surprised and glad has not been a fixture of the set for quite some time.

Now there's a song I'm both surprised and glad has not been a fixture of the set for quite some time.

I love Stuck In A Moment. It really speaks to me lyrically, and I just think it is an excellent song. Quite underrated here. I can see why they don't play it much though, it doesn't feel like a concert song, but I definitely wouldn't object if they did.

I find the lyrics trite and the production saccharine. The live versions improve the sonic quality but nothing will save the Cheap Self-Help Book in a Bad Airport Bookshop lyrics for me.

Though Edge's verse does always sound good.

absolutely agree. I don't get the love for Stuck. I have very similar negative feeling about SYCMIOYO. I get the same vibe from both those songs and i just don't really like either one.

absolutely agree. I don't get the love for Stuck. I have very similar negative feeling about SYCMIOYO. I get the same vibe from both those songs and i just don't really like either one.

I find myself stuck in moments every day of my life (all in my head) and this song really, really speaks to me lyrically. That's why I like it so much anyway.

I find the lyrics trite and the production saccharine.

Yep. And I find the melody is just too... well, saccharine, too. Yep it's catchy and jingly jangly, but just cause you can come up with catchy melodies (and Bono obviously can) doesn't mean said melody serves each song.

I mean, on the one hand you're promoting the song by saying it's about the passing of a "great mate" - Michael Hutchence.

And on the other hand it sounds a little bit like something the Wiggles would sing.

Having said all that, I don't hate it.

It has very relatable and truthfully thoughtful lyrics. I can see someone finding them trite hit they are nice. I don’t care for the production and really never have but that ending is solid!

I’ve always rated it a solid 8 but I do understand those that think it’s a snoozer.

I find myself stuck in moments every day of my life (all in my head) and this song really, really speaks to me lyrically. That's why I like it so much anyway.

You okay brother? This isn’t the first time you have alluded to difficulties.

I mean, not much we can do other than annoy you with our botching and moaning about U2 or each others opinions on U2 but hang in there!

You okay brother? This isn’t the first time you have alluded to difficulties.

I mean, not much we can do other than annoy you with our botching and moaning about U2 or each others opinions on U2 but hang in there!
Yeah I second this. Your thoughtful and frank posts are much appreciated by me. Sometimes somewhat anonymous folk on an internet forum can have a marked effect on us, for better or worse. Hope you feel there's some support and fellowship here.

Thanks for the thoughts Cosmo and Kiwilad, that's very thoughtful of you.

Not wanting to go off topic really, but yeah I do suffer from mental health problems a lot. Depression, OCD, Anxiety. Aspergers diagnosis too.

Would be a lie to say I'm "okay" in general, but I'm hanging in there.

So yeah Stuck speaks to me. So does OOTS, and a bit of Walk On, maybe others too.

Stuck is just one of those songs in U2’s catalog that I very much like, can’t say I love, but find it irritating to talk about.

The production, as others have said is a bit saccharine. It was also kind of the beginning of Bono’s overly wordy songs, but the truth is, I found that aspect to be refreshing and experimental at the time.

It’s a very difficult subject matter to write about, and honestly I challenge anyone that labels it “trite”. There are thousands of songs about this subject, but I’ve never heard one that put it, in such an honest and non-judgmental way. He’s not really offering an answer, nor is he trying to say he completely understands; which are what most of the trite songs of this subject matter try and do.

There are many who still just don’t understand this song, and I get that too. Though, some of the interpretations are just brutal.

At the end of the day, I think it could have been up there with some of the greats if it had production. Even Johnny from Radiohead said it was one of their greatest songs... let that sink in ;)

Most popular- With or Without You

Side note in regard to Elevation: I loved when they opened the show with it back in 2001. Definitely got you pumped up for the rest of the show. Edge killed it.

For people my age mid 20s I'd say Beautiful Day given it's ubiquity when growing up a decade and a half ago even if it has been re-passed by With or Without You as U2's biggest song in recent years (thanks to the expansion of streaming sites and endless shit warbling X Factor covers that murder the tune).

I don't know many people my age who don't like Beautiful Day even if they're not U2 fans. If I was a U2 fan having been brought up with them in the 80s I might have viewed that song with more cynicism as some older fans did but certainly not for me. Despite their status as 'post Pop U2' records and all the claims of beige, uninspired production etc that come with them, ATYCLB and HTDAAB introduced U2 to a whole new generation of fans myself included and Beautiful Day was a beacon to that.

Last edited:
Yes, Beautiful Day was huge when it was released. It got a lot of play on radio and MTV/VH-1/MuchMusic. After the Pop era, it signaled the return of "vintage" U2 with a 21st Century touch.

Yes, Beautiful Day was huge when it was released. It got a lot of play on radio and MTV/VH-1/MuchMusic. After the Pop era, it signaled the return of "vintage" U2 with a 21st Century touch.

Yes and with the exception of TBT, Beautiful Day is the ONLY U2 song I've ever heard played on my local Alternative station thus far.

Holy Joe. Jk

Pride, Wowy, One are top contenders.

A couple pages back there was a discussion about Pride and if it’s even on the list as a contender. I happen to agree with you that it certainly is as well as One and WOWY.

Back
Top Bottom