What improved Adam's confidence between Elevation and Vertigo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hatrickpatrick

The Fly
Just watching the Elevation & Vertigo tours in preparation for U2's epic return to Croke Park :D

One thing has really struck me. In virtually all the literature about U2, the early Adam was described as being quite nervous and finding it very difficult to keep in time without playing incredibly close attention to Larry. Consequentially, on the older tours, right up to and including elevation, he tended to more or less set up camp beside the drums for most of the concert. Larry even reminds him to do this at some point on the Rattle and Hum DVD (either before SBS or Love Comes to Town, not sure which).

However, watching the Vertigo DVD his confidence has suddenly leapt, within the four years between the Elevation DVD and the Vertigo one, and he's having a great time going right around the ellipse, wandering around, and generally doing a lot more "fancy" moves whilst playing. He just seems to be a lot more relaxed and confident, laughing on many occasions and just looking a lot more laid back than in the past.

What changed? How did he manage to shake off his worries from the previous tours and seemingly enjoy himself a lot more? He usually seems to be very serious during concerts but he really just went wild in this one! :D

There has to be vodka in that green tea (remember the teaser vids?). There is no other explaination! Unless, he has tears from Jesus that he mixes in, but we're not gonna discuss that. :wink:

What changed? How did he manage to shake off his worries from the previous tours and seemingly enjoy himself a lot more? He usually seems to be very serious during concerts but he really just went wild in this one! :D

I'm not sure it's a confidence issue, at least not in sense you might be thinking of. The Vertigo tour was the first tour Adam used in-ear monitors. On previous tours he hadn't used it as they weren't comfortable for him. By not using them, he was, more or less, confined to the main stage as that's where his monitors are.
With the in-ear monitors he can now also freely move around. And he does. :)

I agree with the previous comment, he looked pretty wild in UABRS, didn't look nervous at all and wasn't too close to Larry.

I agree. His technically best playing is on this album... without a doubt.

Amazing moments on this album. Subtle sounding but amazing.

He was confident in the early years, then it seemed to go away for a long time. There is a ZooTV interview with him and the Edge where it is clear that he is not in a good state. The confidence has returned but it has taken a long time.

All the predictable funny answers have been taken, so I'm going to say it's to do with getting over giving up a whole bunch of vices. And maybe he's got a new bird.

Back
Top Bottom