What I feel about U2's new record

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

finnsmith

The Fly
Well, let's go straightforward, without any introduction. I have quite funny sensations about U2's last years and the next possible record. Let's face it, doesn't matter how much it hurts, U2 are worn out, spent away by their own members. I have real high expectations about the new record, but just because it is U2; I've been following them for long years, it could be said they are the original soundtrack of my life, but that doesn't mean I cannot criticize them when I think I must.

U2's last records (specially the last one) haven't been that good. I must recognize I bought the bomb and listened to it and went to see the Vertigo tour just because it is U2. Don't misunderstand me, I am not trying in any way to compare it with achtung baby, or the joshua tree. I mean it hasn't even reached U2's standard level. Music has all gone about production and publicity, two things U2 (and sorrounders) have reached to master in the last ten years, and all I would expect U2 to do is fuck it all off and make "something". Well it's plain clear Bono has lost himself in the Saving-Bono role, and the band has run out of ideas. They are legends, prophets, people everybody will listen to, and they know. Maybe I would be happy if they could still make real big concerts, where you could see them run, jump, have real fun, but The Rolling Stones or Bruce Springsteen are much older and can still kick your ass live. U2, at their best these days, can only make YOU shake it. They play with the fact that many people will feel good just being near them.
There isn't any music any more. The best they could do was release 3 compilations, 7 re-editions (count them: boy, october, war, under a blood red sky, the joshua tree, zoo tv live and popmart live) and 3 and a half live dvds (the half I mean the dvd accompanying the special edition of the 18 singles) in less than 10 years. Only 2 extra songs and 2 records, and at least one of them really sub-standard. U23D was nice, but a bit too late in time. Millions of photographs, tv and papers appereances and marketing maneuvers everywhere just for the world not to forget they are alive. But not kicking.
But I think I am falling inside an ocean of rethoric. Let's speak about what they have forgot: the music, the magic, the difference. It used to be "here's what the rest are doing, here's U2's twist about it". Nowadays all that matters is the hook, not the sound, not the overall meaning. "Vertigo" is funny live, but it's just another catchy song with a fast riff (that many others could have written) and an easy-to-learn chorus: hello, hello (anybody home, Mcfly?). I keep the whole "Sometimes" waiting for something to happen, but can't find it. It's a nice bono's voice work, but nothing else (and don't make me name his father, let's not get that personal for someone I didn't even know). "Species" gets its best live and with the piano alone. "Love and peace" has a nice rhythm, but the lyrics need rewriting, ¿What about "one step closer", "a man and a woman", "city" (well, the only one that moved me live),...? They could have never existed, or have been writen by a tribute band, really.

It's like when you start going out with a new girl (boy), and the second minute you know it won't go very far. "U2 are releasing a new record": cool, but uhm... More that that, I'm starting to feel quite angry by all the circus. In my opinion, the leaks are getting too obvious, and don't sound quite well, in both technical and musical ways. I just hope they are a distraction maneuver while they take the rabbit out of the hat. If the concerts were at least as spectacular as zoo tv or popmart, maybe I could live with that, just as the rolling stones do: "just nice" records as reasons to go on tour, but what tours! Larry once (or maybe more times) said he didn't want to be a human jukebox of popular U2 songs, and came back with an "achtung baby" under his arm. Maybe they'll stick a nice high heel boot in my mouth and come back with a real piece of art, but I don't think so. And if it bothers Paul McGuinnes that much, I could be downloading the next record instead of buying it. That will be better than throwing stones, as many soccer fans do when the team they support messes up.

What do you think?

I don't feel anything about the new record because I haven't heard it yet.
We are basing all our comments about the new album on speculation.

Glad we have yet another post in the endless series of "How and why U2 officially suck these days".

:|

They are not 25 any more, they are 47-48 !
Name 1 band that put out their best ablum out after 30 years of music and 10 previous ablums?
I can understand what you talk about because sometimes I feel the same when listening to 80-something U2 live stuff, but we've got to be serious. Bono will never climb the stage waiving a white flag and jump in the crowd anymore, they will never release Electric Co anymore, nor Pride, nor Sunday bloody Sunday.
I've been to 5 Vertigo shows and U2 still surprised me every bloody time.
They are not the same as Under a bloody red sky, that's for sure, but they still kick ass and make bands like Coldplay and Radiohead look like cover bands (That's my opinion:D).

So let's not complain and let's wait for their new music.

"finnsmith"
Amen to everything you said. its nice to see some people who are Not mindless blind sheep following and buying every shit u2 puts out.

i think HTDAAB great, but you don't need to like all the albuns, u2 are so big,that the fans somethimes need that they become under natural.

Nicely written and well thought out piece. I can see where you're coming from, I too have been a little disappointed by U2's output this century, they seem to have lost what made them so great in the 80's and 90's, maybe the reasons behind this are the one's you've mentioned or maybe it's just because they're getting older and what they want to achieve musically is different to what I want to hear, I don't know. However, for whatever reasons I still think or at least hope that the next album will be a return to form, maybe that's just from blind desperation though:))

I'm sorry you can't connect with U2's music anymore. It hasn't been a problem with me. I really liked Bomb and my anticipation for the new album is flying high.

Oh well. Your loss.

If I weren't able to connect with U2's music any more, I wouldn't be here.

And no, I don't like EVERYTHING they've done and I don't consider myself a blind sheep or follower. But I guess for some people, especially those who like to flood the board with negativity, there is only black or white and nothing in between.

Btw, you should edit your post title. This is not how you feel about their new album, because the album isn't out yet so you cannot feel anything about it (if it will be out, you can post your opinion in the album forum), your post is how you feel about U2 in general.

Only 2 extra songs and 2 records, and at least one of them really sub-standard.

2 extra songs? Hands That Built America, Electrical Storm, The Saints Are Coming, Window In the Skies, Instant Karma, Tower of Songs. Sure half of those are covers but it's a little more than 2 songs don't you think?

I still don't see the hate for the Bomb; song for song it's better than October and Zooropa. Maybe it's their worst album overall but every band has to have one album that is their worst don't they?

Yeah, this is what I don't get about threads like this... It's basically a "U2 sucks now" thread, very little to do with the new album. They are a dime a dozen around here, and that's fine everyone's entitled to their opinion.

But why would anyone judge a new album by remasters? That's just silly. I can see pre-judging it on the last couple of albums, fine. But why the remasters and re-releases of concerts? They were all needed. Would you have rather wait till after they retire to get a decent sounding Joshua Tree while still watching Popmart on VHS?

Maybe Finnsmith or those that agreed with every word and thought it was nicely written can explain a few things...

What does this mean?

In my opinion, the leaks are getting too obvious, and don't sound quite well, in both technical and musical ways.

Maybe I would be happy if they could still make real big concerts, where you could see them run, jump, have real fun

What does "real big concerts" mean? When did U2 run, jump, and have real fun in the past well except Elevation and Vertigo?

I keep the whole "Sometimes" waiting for something to happen, but can't find it. It's a nice bono's voice work, but nothing else (and don't make me name his father, let's not get that personal for someone I didn't even know).

Maybe it's the writing, but I don't get this. "I keep the whole Sometimes..." And what does, "don't make me name his father" mean?

When the U2 train is not rolling I think many get a bit hard on the band. We haven't even heard this album. It could be U2's best or it could be their worst. Just wait and see for yourself, and don't base your opinion from HTDAAB or ATYCLB.

Those albums are in the past and at the time of their release 75% of us enjoyed the tunes & tour. For those to say U2 are going through the motions, especially on the tour front are insane. The Vertigo tour shows were friggin awesome. And the songs translated so well live. I don't understand how U2 fans can complain about the Vertigo tour or pretty much any U2 live show. There an A+ rock show.

As for the re-releases/remasters. It was time. U2 doesn't do this every 5 years like most bands. This is the 1st time. Hell, they even put new songs on their greatest hits complications, nice packaging with DVD's for the remasters, and release great/personal book about the band to assist in U2:18.

The new album couldn't come soon enough.

By the way:
-Beautiful Day
-Electrical Storm
-Walk On
-Kite
-In A Little While
-City of Blinding Lights
-Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
-One Step Closer
-Original of The Species

^^Some great songs that came from this era.

I'm a pretty huge U2 apologist. But I still cannot stand "Elevation".

As long as the new album doesn't have a song/songs as bad as that piece of turd, I'll be relatively happy.

That being said, I'm pretty sure that the band realize that they've been playing it safe since ATYCLB. Whether or not they get proactive and do something about the drought of great ideas/ the wealth of half-baked ideas remains to be seen. But since they're still cracking away in the studio (apparently?), I'm really really hoping they're scared about their title right now, and are working hard to make everyone remember why they're not only the biggest band in the world, but also the best. Well... that statement is a little overblown, but you know what I mean.

At the very least, War, Pop and Zooropa will always exist, as well as the rest of the back catalogue, most of which is much better than a lot of music.

And please - The Stones a better live show than U2? Springsteen, probably, but in completely different ways. The Stones are like marionettes at this point, with a mad puppet master making them "play" their songs.

The OP and some others on here act like it is universally acknowledged that U2 post 2000 is a failure compared to previous years/decades....it's quite the contrary.....and you have no idea where U2 would be now if Beautiful Day and Vertigo didn't exist, or if they didn't change things up completely with ATYCLB....it's all just a bunch of bs, sorry :shrug:

And I don't think U2 look back on ATYCLB and think to themselves that they "played it safe" or whatever...I think they did what they wanted to do, and as the year of 2008 ends, I think they're more than happy with what has happend this decade as a result.

And lastly, I'd just like to say that the next record/tour could very well be the best ever...believe it!!! :yes:

:)

I'm sorry you feel like that, from your words and expressions I believe you used to be a real fan. That said, let me add that you seem to believe your opinion is a universally recognised fact and it's not, it's just your opinion, if I were you I wouldn't spend my time ranting about my lost favourite band, I would listen to music I could appreciate and feel good about (don't consider this as an attack, please, nothing further from my intentions).

About your question I can say, with some others, that I need to listen to an album before I can make my opinion about it, but I really expect it to be a good one, maybe their best, why not? I believe them capable of many, many things, for me, and I know it's just an opinion as subjective as yours, this band is like wine, the older, the better.
I like most of their work, not everything, of course, but most, I love TJT, AB and POP, but also ATYCLB and HTDAAB (I admire its lyrics too, it must be really difficult to write songs about such things as little romantic as economy and disease and make them work, but I understand most people prefer other topics for songs).
How I feel about the next record? I expect it with enthusiam and I hope our evolution (the band's and mine) will follow the same path again this time, if not, I would always have my collection of albums and they'll be part of my life anyway. No sorrows or blames.

I had a dream last night that I heard new U2 songs off of the new album and they were great. :sexywink:

For the record, HTDAAB and in particular, ATYCLB, are two of my favorite U2 albums and the Elevation tour, especially, will always be remembered by me as one of the greatest time periods of my life. I cannot wait for the new album and have eagerly devoured any new songs which have rolled down the U2 highway over the past several years.

that said, what I am reading in the original post is the sentiment that for all of the U2 saturation of the past say, 8 years - all of the re-issues, U2 by U2, U2 3D, Music Rising, all of the concert DVDs, endless Bono, Bono, Bono, U2 ipod - there has been very little actual original music released. A lot of it seems to be old music in new packages. Don't get me wrong- I have loved it all- I'm the kind of fan who values a new concert DVD simply because of a different snippet here or there- but I can see how people can start to view U2 as putting up "smoke and mirrors" without much actual substance. I appreciate an earlier poster who listed several recent original songs- WITS, Saints, Hands, Electrical Storm - but I can see how these might have gotten lost in the shuffle to some.

What I certainly do not understand in the original post is this:

"Maybe I would be happy if they could still make real big concerts, where you could see them run, jump, have real fun, but The Rolling Stones or Bruce Springsteen are much older and can still kick your ass live. U2, at their best these days, can only make YOU shake it. They play with the fact that many people will feel good just being near them."

Who is "YOU"? The thousands and thousands of euphoric people around me at the eight elevation and vertigo shows I went to? I tell you what, they were certainly shaking it, whatever that means! The firefighters on stage at the 2001 MSG elevation shows I went to? You know what, it felt GREAT that night just being near the members of U2. The 20,000 people who in unison hit the SINGGGGG note with Bono each night during the MSG vertigo shows in 2005? Cause it certainly ain't just die-hard fans like me who are having their asses kicked - its everyone around me at sold out arenas and stadiums on every inhabited continent on the globe.

I had a dream last night that I heard new U2 songs off of the new album and they were great. :sexywink:

I had a dream last night where Bono told me to stop dreaming about him and that the new album will be out when everyone else does the same.

This would be a good blog post, or even a half-decent reply to an already existing thread.

Shitty new thread, though.

I understand your feeling and for a big part I agree. The periods between albums get longer and longer and this is not reflected in the quality.

But, name any band that can be so long so relevant. You were right with Bruce Springsteen..that's really an exception. Fantastic new album and still great shows last year! (However, also Bruce had several less relevant and creative periods before coming up with 'Radio Nowhere')
On Rolling Stones I really disagree! They are in the shadow of U2 when thinking of live concerts and not even in the shadow when thinking of albums. The last relevant Stones-album dates from the 80s....

However, lets wait for the next album to see if they are still relevant.

They are not the same as Under a bloody red sky, that's for sure, but they still kick ass and make bands like Coldplay and Radiohead look like cover bands (That's my opinion:D).

Wow, what are you saying here...to call Radiohead a cover band of U2....then you don't appreciate real, original, relevant music. If there is any band that is still re-inventing music, it is radiohead at this moment (That's my opinion:D)

2 extra songs? Hands That Built America, Electrical Storm, The Saints Are Coming, Window In the Skies, Instant Karma, Tower of Songs. Sure half of those are covers but it's a little more than 2 songs don't you think?

I still don't see the hate for the Bomb; song for song it's better than October and Zooropa. Maybe it's their worst album overall but every band has to have one album that is their worst don't they?

Trouble is, HTDAAB is far, far, FAR from U2's worst. In fact, I feel it is one of their best. And I also feel that some of U2's worst music came in the 80's and 90's. But now those albums are glorified because of either nostalgia from the old fans or the "I wish I was there" attitude from the new fans. If this forum existed back in 1982, I'm sure we would have torn apart "October". There'd be tons of people bad-mouthing JT in '87. And in fact, there were quite a few people ripping "Pop" online in '97, but of course, those people are either gone or have conveniently forgotten their views. As a result, the new gets attacked. Whatever.

I don't agree with any of what was originally wrote. And I can't help but wonder if one is not a fan, why participate on the forum (looks at ShaunVox). One doesn't have to love everything (as I clearly indicated above), but the hatred for U2's recent output suggests it's time for you to move on.

I'm sorry you can't connect with U2's music anymore. It hasn't been a problem with me. I really liked Bomb and my anticipation for the new album is flying high.

Oh well. Your loss.

:up:

It's like drugs now. The pot is not doing it for some people and they want to upgrade to cocaine.

Most bands don't have this kind of longevity and it will be more appreciated probably only when the band quit and there will be no more U2. If popular music gets worse instead of better it will be more noticable as we get older.

Maybe if people don't like the last 2 albums they should not listen to them for awhile and listen to something else. Repetition wears you out.

Listen to something like this:

YouTube - Duffy - Stepping Stone Official Video

or:

YouTube - Duffy WARWICK AVENUE ( live )

or this:

YouTube - Elbow Performing at the Nationwide Mercury Prize 2008

or:

YouTube - Weather To Fly - Elbow

or:

YouTube - Elbow "One Day Like This" Glastonbury 08
Fu$king awesome!!!!

or:

YouTube - Some Riot - Elbow

For something really different try this:

YouTube - Portico Quartet 'Cittagazze' live

There is really no reason to be bored people! Listen to U2 when the album comes out and listen to other stuff in the mean time. That keeps things fresh.

U2's last records (specially the last one) haven't been that good.
This is pure opinion, though. I tend to agree with the reviews that called ATYCLB a masterpiece. Atomic Bomb was a good to great collection of songs, though I prefer ATYCLB. Atomic Bomb won album of the year at the Grammys, by no means a bad album, and certainly pretty good....though hardly U2's best work.

Well it's plain clear Bono has lost himself in the Saving-Bono role, and the band has run out of ideas.
Bono has always played that role! U2 have always been activists to some extent, and thank God for that. That is why their songs are so big. They have to live up to them. As for running out of ideas, U2 have never recorded an album like ATYCLB before. U2 had never written a song like 'Stuck in a Moment' or 'In A Little While' or 'Wild Honey' or even 'Kite'. Completely new territory for them. They wrote a soul record, a true pop record. After the 90s electronic period, it was a shock just as much as Achtung Baby was, but in the opposite sense.

Maybe I would be happy if they could still make real big concerts, where you could see them run, jump, have real fun, but The Rolling Stones or Bruce Springsteen are much older and can still kick your ass live.

U23D was nice, but a bit too late in time.
You start off saying their concerts are lacking, and are not as good as the Stones, but then state U23D was nice. So which is it? Further, U2 have put out 3 albums since 1997 and are about to put out 4. How many albums have The Stones put out in the last 10 years?

Millions of photographs, tv and papers appereances and marketing maneuvers everywhere just for the world not to forget they are alive. But not kicking.
I understand you would like U2 to release more new material (so would I and any U2 fan, I suspect), but would you rather they hadn't released all the extras? Let's try a thought experiment: U2 released 4 albums in just over 10 years, just as they will, but without any of the best of and live DVD reissues and albums. I guess it would have looked better, but would it have been as fun? If they hadn't released them, at least we wouldn't be asking the question, why not more studio albums!

Trouble is, HTDAAB is far, far, FAR from U2's worst. In fact, I feel it is one of their best. And I also feel that some of U2's worst music came in the 80's and 90's. But now those albums are glorified because of either nostalgia from the old fans or the "I wish I was there" attitude from the new fans. If this forum existed back in 1982, I'm sure we would have torn apart "October". There'd be tons of people bad-mouthing JT in '87. And in fact, there were quite a few people ripping "Pop" online in '97, but of course, those people are either gone or have conveniently forgotten their views. As a result, the new gets attacked. Whatever..

I definitely don't think the Bomb is there worst song wise; I mean it has great songs but the problem is it plays like a greatest hits. While there lesser albums song wise at least sound like albums which makes them feel better than the sum of their parts and that's why I think Bomb is their weakest.

Back
Top Bottom