What Happens With The Final Album Of Each Decade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DevilsShoes

War Child
Why do you think the group always seem to come unstuck with the final album of each decade in terms of media/public response?

R&H: This contains some of the best songs of U2's career IMO, but the media gave it a good savaging and the album was seen as proof of U2's egomania. In truth, this could have been part of the 'raise them up, then tear them down' mentality. The Joshua Tree had been critically acclaimed, catapulting the band to the heights of mega-stardom and the next logical step was to give the them a bit of a bruising. Some of the criticisms were valid though.

Pop: For whatever reason the public just didn't get this album. Like pretty much every other release, Pop attempted to reflect the current cultural climate, but perhaps the songs weren't strong or memorable enough (and I say this as someone who loves Mofo, Last Night and Gone), plus Popmart seemed to just alienate a lot of people and leave them scratching their heads.

NLOTH: U2 fandom pretty much adores ths one, but the general public seemed indifferent. In all likelihood they'd be hard pushed to even give you the title of the thing. 'Boots' once again confused people and ensured the whole campaign got off to a rocky start. In the eyes of many fans, the big U2 albums are JT, AB and NLOTH, but for the public it's JT, AB and ATYCLB.

So what goes wrong?

Do the band just fail to read the climate of the moment correctly? Something they always seem to do so accurately at the start of the deacade.

Is U2 overload a factor? Almost certainly in the case of R&H, but less so with NLOTH and definitely much less so with Pop.

Was the problem with 'Boot's' was that it gave the impression of 'more of the same from U2'? Was the problem with Discotheque and Pop that the group had changed too much?

You views on why the final album of each decade in one way or another, fails to strike the right chord.

I was 10-12 yrs old when R&H came out. So I can't really comment on that album.

POP

The media and casual fans were out for blood once U2 said they were making a dance record. "Dance" record painted U2 in a corner in which they couldn't get out of. And Discotheque leading the way didn't help the cause much.

Once POP was released though the media gave it great reviews and backed off on the dance elements.

If U2 would have just said they were making a diversified rock record that sounds like nothing we've done before and put "Mofo" as the 1st single things would have been different. Instead they were performing B-sides at Kmart and dressed up as the Village People. This all coming before a lackluster Leg 1 of the Popmart.

-POP released in fall 1996
-Mofo, SATS, Gone, IGWSHA, Discotheque released as singles, in that order
-Popmart starts in Spring 1997 w/ band well rehearsed

things would have been different for U2.

NLOTH

U2 overload for the public and they didn't really seem like a band, as so much like a publicity scene. Total opposite of what they built up from the ATYCLB promo.

While fans and many casuals were salivating over new U2, the delay (Oct to Mar) did not help. Alot of hype was built up for "Boots" to handle. Song was not that great to please everyone.

U2 should have quietly released MOS or Breathe in Nov/Dec to let everyone know an album is coming soon, now listen to something new/fresh. Release Magnificent in Feb w/ an announcement of NLOTH in March.

But U2 touring w/ the 360 show is no easy feat and have shown they are very much relevant in the music world. And the media/band bashing the lack of sells for NLOTH is complete BS w/ the way record sales are today.

Pop was an odd album period... not quite the end of a phase, maybe even the aborted beginning of one? mind you if you add Passengers and the earlier two records then you get a four album phase very interconnected I suppose in style, so maybe it was fin...

Discotheque, SATS and the other singles went down pretty well in the UK at the time, dunno was it because we were still 'attuned' to the ZOOTV period U2? ie. this "post modern ironic" approach as it was coined then... It's funny though, I was watching one of the many PopMart documentaries recently and someone, might have been The Edge said that Europe "gets the idea", but the US doesn't... it's not an extact quote. The whole release was clearly hurried at the end, Willie Williams even saying that the concept of the tour was so in-synch with the album, for once, that the stageshow design even made an appearance on the back cover [the arch] and the Mart sketches inside...

YouTube - U2 - Australian TV Special 1997 (part 1/3)

YouTube - U2 - Australian TV Special 1997 (part 2/3)

YouTube - U2 - Australian TV Special 1997 (part 3/3)

Rattle and Hum was killed by U2 overload.

Pop: the first video and the opening shows of the tour killed it.

NLOTH: first single. And the fact they're getting older doesn't help.

Look at it this way: all the albums at the end of a decade forced them to change. Rattle and Hum definitely did, Pop definitely did, and considering they vetoed Eno/Lanois for a while it seems NLOTH did as well. Also it seems they always push a sound one step too far: the American music with Rattle and Hum, experimenting with Pop and the classic U2 sounds on NLOTH.

From the perspective of the general public

Rattle & Hum - Pretentious, go away you fucks

Pop - no good singles

No Line - no good singles

Well, now that it's the start of a new decade and we're approaching the 360 tour's return to North America, I certainly glad they're releasing a new album t-
Oh, wait. :|
But, seriously, the Danger Mouse album will probably be heralded as a "bold new direction" when it comes out, starting the cycle anew.

I was honestly just thinking about this exact same thing several days ago!:ohmy: How odd it was that every decade ends going downhill. Then they seem to pick up the next decade with a stunning album that is well received. You don't think that... no way... maybe.:shifty:

I would argue the backlash they received for R&H did them a world of good. I was only a toddler at the time, but looking back they became insufferably pretentious at that point - embracing the blues, hanging out with BB King, releasing an album that was an uneven mish-mash of live tracks, new tracks and JT left-overs, making the accompanying film...imagine if Coldplay did the same thing now, we'd be screaming for their blood. So it was a backlash that was totally deserved, it forced them to rethink and we got the whole AB era.

I think with both R&H to AB, and Pop to ATYCLB, the backlash pushed them to change in such a wholesale way, but it wasn't the backlash on its own that pushed them to change, or even to shift it in those specific directions. Even if R&H and all of that was well received, I still think you'd have had U2 'dreaming it all up again' and whatnot, probably in a very similar way, just perhaps not such a wholesale tearing apart of the extended 'everything U2', and perhaps without that extra element, not quite such a striking break on record.

Similar with Pop. I think regardless of 'success' or 'failure', what would have come next would have been more simple. Pop would also have always been the end of the 'dark' line. The next album would have been lighter and brighter. The result would probably not have been as conservative as ATYCLB, but I'd bet a lot of the key elements would have been similar.

I was 10-12 yrs old when R&H came out. So I can't really comment on that album.

POP

The media and casual fans were out for blood once U2 said they were making a dance record. "Dance" record painted U2 in a corner in which they couldn't get out of. And Discotheque leading the way didn't help the cause much.

Once POP was released though the media gave it great reviews and backed off on the dance elements.

If U2 would have just said they were making a diversified rock record that sounds like nothing we've done before and put "Mofo" as the 1st single things would have been different. Instead they were performing B-sides at Kmart and dressed up as the Village People. This all coming before a lackluster Leg 1 of the Popmart.

-POP released in fall 1996
-Mofo, SATS, Gone, IGWSHA, Discotheque released as singles, in that order
-Popmart starts in Spring 1997 w/ band well rehearsed

things would have been different for U2.

NLOTH

U2 overload for the public and they didn't really seem like a band, as so much like a publicity scene. Total opposite of what they built up from the ATYCLB promo.

While fans and many casuals were salivating over new U2, the delay (Oct to Mar) did not help. Alot of hype was built up for "Boots" to handle. Song was not that great to please everyone.

U2 should have quietly released MOS or Breathe in Nov/Dec to let everyone know an album is coming soon, now listen to something new/fresh. Release Magnificent in Feb w/ an announcement of NLOTH in March.

But U2 touring w/ the 360 show is no easy feat and have shown they are very much relevant in the music world. And the media/band bashing the lack of sells for NLOTH is complete BS w/ the way record sales are today.

ok... two things.

first... you say they were killed because people thought they were releasing a dance record, which i agree with, and your answer to that is to release... mofo?

look, i love mofo. but come on. i'm with you if ya say that a more traditional rock song like staring at the sun, gone or even last night on earth was first, minus the strange ass gooo video.

a mix closer to what the live version of last night on earth morphed into would have been a massive hit, IMO.

second... still being able to sell out massive stadium tours despite not having a hit album means you're still relevant? mick jagger thanks you for your support.

Back
Top Bottom