What happend to Edge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
there's a quote on this somewhere but I can't be bothered searching for it ;)

Anyway, Edge said in an online chat that he was angry about the fact that they made the song so loud at the end, while it should have been a nice song.

Don't pay too much attention to it though. Sometimes, musicians really drown into their performance onstage and do crazy things like this :)

From U2: U2faqs.com - Live / Concert FAQ

Why is the Edge slamming his guitar to the ground at the end of "Gone" during the June 2001, Elevation Boston DVD?

During a web chat The Edge answered this question from a fan by saying "Because we murdered the song."

That night in Boston it was evident that The Edge was having trouble with his guitar. From the perspective of being in the crowd in the heart it appeared that The Edge was unhappy with Larry ending the song earlier than The Edge had planned. After the incident with the guitar The Edge could be seen having words with Larry over at the drum kit. [M2, AS]

I've wondered about this before and the conclusion I came to is that that audio is taken from one of the shows and the footage at the end from the other. The reason I think this is because if you notice Edge's guitar - through the majority of the song he is playing his black Rickenbacker, and you're right - there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the performance. However, at the end when he takes off his guitar and throws it to the ground you can see that it is his orange Rickenbacker, leading me to believe they just decided to include that bit of footage at the end for a laugh and took the majority of the footage and audio from the other night.

I've wondered about this before and the conclusion I came to is that that audio is taken from one of the shows and the footage at the end from the other. The reason I think this is because if you notice Edge's guitar - through the majority of the song he is playing his black Rickenbacker, and you're right - there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the performance.

Correct, that's what they did.
I made an investigation myself some time ago and posted it here:
U2 Feedback - View Single Post - How will Edge replace his Les Paul?

And here's an extra treat from the "Making of"-documentary. I think it's about 14 minutes in.

I actually read these things before, about the different guitars being used in the song and being thrown on stage. But, I'm actually still not convinced. The lighting makes things very difficult to see. De dark guitar actually turns from dark to orange in one shot, where Edge lifts the guitar a bit. It reflects the red light coming from the spotlights and gives an orange impression.
On the other hand, the vid is strange enough to at least raise questions. From 3:57 to 4:18, you already hear a solo guitar, while Edge is obviously slamming the chords. From 4:18 onwards, this changes to him playing the solo. Weird stuff, but hey, it's a great song on a dito dvd, so who cares ;)

I read somewhere that he had dropped his pick and he was playing with his fingers, hence wanting to end the song quicker

On June 5th, first show in Boston, Edge was using the orange Rickenbacker during the song Gone. Edge also used this orange Rickenbacker in the Popmart video, and footage dates back to Rattle and Hum of him using this guitar. However, at the end of the song, he threw down the guitar in rage, thus rendering it unusable for the show the next night.

On June 6th, Edge is playing a black Rickenbacker guitar for the song Gone. He also played this black guitar on "Mysterious Ways", which he normally used to orange guitar on ever since 1992. Yes, you are seeing 2 different guitars. Why they edited it that way, who knows? It totally breaks continuity. They just threw in the Edge smashing the orange Rick just for kicks.

FYI, the orange Rickenbacker was back in action by the Slane concert, and still used on the Vertigo tour.

On June 5th, first show in Boston, Edge was using the orange Rickenbacker during the song Gone. Edge also used this orange Rickenbacker in the Popmart video, and footage dates back to Rattle and Hum of him using this guitar. However, at the end of the song, he threw down the guitar in rage, thus rendering it unusable for the show the next night.

On June 6th, Edge is playing a black Rickenbacker guitar for the song Gone. He also played this black guitar on "Mysterious Ways", which he normally used to orange guitar on ever since 1992. Yes, you are seeing 2 different guitars. Why they edited it that way, who knows? It totally breaks continuity. They just threw in the Edge smashing the orange Rick just for kicks.

FYI, the orange Rickenbacker was back in action by the Slane concert, and still used on the Vertigo tour.

Brave little guitar

He threw it down because The Edge, being on fire as he is prone 2 do, had neglected 2 douse the guitar in flame-retardant b4 beginning his solo, and proceeded 2 throw the guitar down in hopes of putting out the flames that his playing had produced.

- That's the truth.

edge to larry: -

"you fuking twat! you know why im called the edge? do you? cos i live on the edge! im always on edge! and you just pushed me! dont fucking push me! especially when im on stage!"

larry to himself after edge walks off...
"get a shave"

I actually read these things before, about the different guitars being used in the song and being thrown on stage. But, I'm actually still not convinced. The lighting makes things very difficult to see. De dark guitar actually turns from dark to orange in one shot, where Edge lifts the guitar a bit. It reflects the red light coming from the spotlights and gives an orange impression.
On the other hand, the vid is strange enough to at least raise questions. From 3:57 to 4:18, you already hear a solo guitar, while Edge is obviously slamming the chords. From 4:18 onwards, this changes to him playing the solo. Weird stuff, but hey, it's a great song on a dito dvd, so who cares ;)

If you watch the video, Bono is playing the first part of the solo (I recall him also maybe using a foot pedal), while Edge plays the chords. Then, halfway through, they switch. You can hear the switch based on the volume of the guitars.

By all rights that solo should have gone on for another half a minute or so at least, and I think Edge agrees with me there.

Correct.

Something went wrong on June 5th, wrong enough to piss Edge off, make him throw his guitar, and then go yell at Larry.

The audio and most of the video on the DVD is from June 6th. But parts of video near the end are from the 5th, for the drama.

It's a pretty nice thing to see 'mr zen' lose his calm. Makes me realise I do NOT want to run into Edge in a dark alley when he's pissed off.

Edgerage.gif

just thought I'd throw in one of my fav gifs :drool:

You can hear edge's guitar become out of tune and you can hear it get a little distorted. It was mixed out of the audio pretty well, but you can still hear why Larry ended the song. And when edge hits the strings after Larry made the decision to end it, you can hear the guitar got knocked out of tune. You can hear it much more clearly on the dvd.

And that bastard KICKED a Rickenbacker! I would give a limb for aRickenbacker 330/12 like that one. Especially the orange one he kicked! bah!

Back
Top Bottom