What do U2 have to say to the unemployed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So anyway, back on topic. What do you feel U2 should say to the unemployed?

It is not for me to dictate what U2 should or should not say about anything.

However, if I met Bono, the one thing I would say to him is that charity begins at home. He knew that in the 80s, but has since forgotten it, in my opinion.

Thankfully, they do have those songs already in the catalogue. Maybe they feel like they have spoken on this subject as well as they are able and do not feel like revisiting that again? Or maybe they feel the best way to approach it this time is to entertain people with escapism instead of reminding them of something they already know? It is hard to escape the news of hardship in the media already and if U2 were to write a song about it now, it could seem a bit predictable and not as effective as say, when they were writing these songs (in the '80's) during better economic times. Maybe they will play one of these older songs in concert that they have not played in a while (I wish) and then an older tune becomes relevant once again.

I am sorry, I wrote this post before seeing that Indra had already made the exact same point in an earlier post. Good post, Indra!

However, if I met Bono, the one thing I would say to him is that charity begins at home. He knew that in the 80s, but has since forgotten it, in my opinion.

If it's not for you to dictate, it's not for us, therefore your thread is totally redundant.

How about you actually answer the question you are brave enough to ask, but not to answer

Not everybody can focus on helping at home. There are charities that focus locally but their should always be a social responsibility to help the third world. Now I don't know the meat of Ireland's local aid efforts are but in Australia we have plenty of home grown charities for families and individuals suffering financially as well as youth whom are less fortunate than the rest of society.

However, Bono has felt passionately about Africa since Live Aid and his visit to Ethiopia and since then has continually made impassioned calls to assist in the many crises these developing nations face. Not everybody has to get on board but if he can convince people to join his cause of battling the AIDS crises then it is a start at tackling this immense problem for the 3rd world.

In my opinion, the developing world can not be forgotten and I focus more on helping them than helping the 'relatively poor' at home. That is my choice. Bono has made his choice as well. Why should he be crucified for doing what in essence is a good thing?

(and, let's face it, better)

And has spoken another wise owner of the subjective ultimate truths, Mr. financeguy.

Seriously, you killed your whole thread with one setence. Congrats. :wave::wave:

I can’t see U2 taking their private jets to the South of France to put the finishing touches on their new album, Songs for the Unemployed (Fuck Capitalism), going down too well. I can maybe see it being reflected in some more of their 00s penchant for general touchy feely Beautiful Day type stuff (along the lines of whatever pains you, there’s hope, walk on, blah, blah, oh so emotive etc), but nothing explicit or punchy. They’d get torn apart for it, and it would make them look stupid in a way that would effect every other issue they try to raise or defend.

I would go so far as to say that Bono is <this> close to tipping over into majority annoyance and it would take far less than something like this for the general opinion and reaction to him and them to completely swing. Bono railing against the man now would just look utterly ridiculous. I’m surprised you think this is something they could go anywhere near at all. He runs a venture capital company, owns a share in Forbes for fucks sake.

I can’t see U2 taking their private jets to the South of France to put the finishing touches on their new album, Songs for the Unemployed (Fuck Capitalism), going down too well. I can maybe see it being reflected in some more of their 00s penchant for general touchy feely Beautiful Day type stuff (along the lines of whatever pains you, there’s hope, walk on, blah, blah, oh so emotive etc), but nothing explicit or punchy. They’d get torn apart for it, and it would make them look stupid in a way that would effect every other issue they try to raise or defend.

I would go so far as to say that Bono is <this> close to tipping over into majority annoyance and it would take far less than something like this for the general opinion and reaction to him and them to completely swing. Bono railing against the man now would just look utterly ridiculous. I’m surprised you think this is something they could go anywhere near at all. He runs a venture capital company, owns a share in Forbes for fucks sake.

Great post.

He's not 20 anymore. Or 25. He doesn't think that he can change the world with a song. He thinks he can change the world by spending every waking hour convincing president's and prime minister's to cancel 3rd world debt though.

U2 have grown up and realised the actual power of music. It doesn't inspire those into physical action, or into deed. It inspires emotions and feelings. You can't get someone to donate to a cause by saying "hey, donate to this cause", but you can by inspiring emotion in them. People now associate Bono with these causes, so his job isn't to write a song that says "give money to africa or else", his job is to inspire people with his passion and his music EMOTIONALLY, not lyrically, and they will associate with with his external work.

It is a little tacky to discuss other people's charity - who knows what Bono does privately. And does it really matter? He's just one person.

Music, art, charity, revolution... it's a strange concoction isn't it?

I mean many sing about it, but do very little. I mean honestly what has Rage Against the Machine REALLY done?

Those that do sing about it often get ridiculed by some with this odd you have to be poor in order to speak for the poor logic.

Some prefer the talk over the action. i.e. would rather have Bono just bitch about Bush rather than meet and actually try and get something done.

Some say we don't want celebrities involved in politics. Which is just the stupidest thing I've ever heard because all citizens should be involved...

At the end of the day a celebrity that dips into real life issues will never win...

I think it's a reasonable question, with unemployment rates trending upwards and set to burst through the 10% mark in many countries.

Much of U2's earlier (and, let's face it, better) material - songs like Bad, Running to Stand Still, Silver and Gold, Red Hill Mining Town - and many more - spoke to the dispossessed and marginalized.

But U2 have changed, and it's hard to see what a gang of multimillionaires and property developers can possibly have to say to the dispossessed and marginalised.

Back in the mid '80's, U2 were heavily involved in the organisation of a concert called 'Self-Aid' in Ireland, aimed at generating awareness of the plight of the unemployed and Bono even sat briefly in a committee put together by the then Irish Prime Minister Garret Fitzgerald. While the project was, arguably, misconceived, I think most people viewed it as a genuine and well intentioned gesture.

I doubt if they'd try to do the same thing now, but if they did, I reckon it would be treated as a rather tasteless joke.

How can fat Bono possibly think he's relevant any more?

Well...

First, on a simple note - calling Bono fat is erroneous. It looks like he's lost a lot of weight and back in "touring shape" (which has been the way he's been all his life). And his weight is irrelevant - after all, there are unemployed people who are very overweight.

But if you mean "fat" as in wealthy, then what's he or the other members of U2 to do? They already give a lot to charity. We know nothing of their private donations. But we all know of their more open ones. And, IMO, don't U2 already support enough causes?

Second, U2 don't discuss those types of topics any more for the very reasons you mentioned.

For example, Bono stated he's not for file-sharing if it means stealing. But he said that he's not the one to champion against it as he's a wealthy rock star. He'd only be criticized as being greedy.

Bono also realizes how ridiculous it is for a rich rock star to champion the cause in Africa. But he's using his celebrity wisely here and getting results. In this case, he's done his homework.

Still, it doesn't mean U2 don't do anything.

With the current economy, U2 did their homework their tour. First, they will tour in big stadiums in an attempt to avoid high priced scalpers. Just as they did with PopMart, by having a stadium show, hopefully demand is met with a few shows. Second, they have reasonable ticket prices - some as low as $30 and GA's at $55. So one has a chance to be close yet pay a reasonable price. And if one just wants to see U2 and doesn't care about the seat, there is another lower-priced alternative.

Can U2 preach? They could, but why? In the U.S., it's painfully obvious that the banks and the CEO's of big companies made some big mistakes. Complaining about them is almost passe. It's time to move forward, which is what our President is trying to do. It will take time, but there's no need to have a concert dedicated to it or preach about it in a show. In other words, even if this were the mid-80's, it would be redundant for U2 to represent the misfortunate as the government is already recognizing them.

Plus, you have to remember - U2 is a rock band. While they have supported many causes and continue to do so, they are not some saviors to jump on every cause, big or small. After hurricane Katrina, one rich, famous rap star complained that Bono wasn't doing anything. That infuriated me - why wasn't that rap star doing something? Why only have Bono? The worst part is that Edge did do something - and we never heard anything about what that rap star did (other than complain). People seem to want someone else to help them all the time. Why not help yourself?

Jobs are tough and we all live in a bit of fear. If we have a job, we hope we can keep it. If we don't have a job, we hope we can find one before our severance and savings run out. But again, policies are in place and action is being done. Hopefully it will work. No need to have U2 representing - it's already being done.

So really, even with "rich, fat Bono", is it his place to represent? When was that his job description? And is there a need for him to do so? In my opinion, I think the focus should be on letting people have fun with the music. We have enough to worry about - for 2 hours, let's not focus on anything but the brilliance of U2.

:eeklaugh:

/irony.

Dude, do you really think Bono would advertize how much money he gives to charity privately? Seriously?

Bono lives by the principle of "let not the right hand know what the left hand does".

You know, now that I think about it, I believe we've had this conversation before. Actually, I can't remember ever reading a single thread or post by you that has expressed anything positive about U2 of today. Furthermore, if you are a believer in strict capitalism/libertarianism, why would you care if they became fat millionaires? Wouldn't they be a goalpost?

This topic is a joke.

Bono doesn't have to go around telling everyone which causes he supports at home and abroad.

It IS known that U2 have been supporting a lot of causes and charities in Ireland and in other countries.

People should start with themselves before the point the finger on anyone,famous or not.

Complaining about someone not doing enough for charity? Well, go ahead and do something yourself.

Some people just like to blame Bono for everything that goes wrong.

To answer the question: probably not much to begin with considering what they do for a living, and certainly not since 1987.

:huh:

i don't know... i still feel i'm the same person inside that i was 20 years ago... my life has changed immensely since then, but i'm still 'me', i still have the same feelings and world vision and ideals... circumstances may change but people still hurt and feel... they not robots you know :rolleyes:

I think it's a reasonable question, with unemployment rates trending upwards and set to burst through the 10% mark in many countries.

Much of U2's earlier (and, let's face it, better) material - songs like Bad, Running to Stand Still, Silver and Gold, Red Hill Mining Town - and many more - spoke to the dispossessed and marginalized.

But U2 have changed, and it's hard to see what a gang of multimillionaires and property developers can possibly have to say to the dispossessed and marginalised.

Back in the mid '80's, U2 were heavily involved in the organisation of a concert called 'Self-Aid' in Ireland, aimed at generating awareness of the plight of the unemployed and Bono even sat briefly in a committee put together by the then Irish Prime Minister Garret Fitzgerald. While the project was, arguably, misconceived, I think most people viewed it as a genuine and well intentioned gesture.

I doubt if they'd try to do the same thing now, but if they did, I reckon it would be treated as a rather tasteless joke.

How can fat Bono possibly think he's relevant any more?

Ehm nothing? As if U2 can do anything about situation of the unemployed.
I'm sure they care about the unemployed. Look at the situation in Ireland, high unemployment, but what can U2 to change that??

By whom had Bono became "fat?? I think the fans ... they pay and buy tickets / cds / merchandise.

So they do care, but are unable to change the situation. Even governments can't change it, so why could a "fat" (your words) rockstar do that?

you know, i just had a thought. maybe shut some people up, U2 should do a show like Nancy Grace, except for social issues like poverty and unemployment.

"Tonight, on Bono, more auto workers get laid off, and guess who's pissed! Tonight, 9ET/8CT"

Financeguy, are you John Waters in disguise? :wink:

Also I have Hot Presses from the time of Self Aid, and even they, U2 champions that they are, questioned the validity of Self Aid, U2's role in it, and whether it actually achieved anything. I'd put them up if I had a scanner, or frankly, could be arsed finding them.

War correspondents are relatively well paid, and a good war correspondent, if he or she decides to move on from that specific employment, has many opportunities potentially open to them in the media industry. If all else fails, there is a good market for books written by war correspondents.

Also, the song was written at a time when the recession had not got properly started, so a war correspondent who decided to chuck in the media profession would probably have been able to pick up alternative suitable employment. Note, I am not saying war correspondents do not encounter hardships, so please don't retort, once again, by alleging that I am.

Not only was that song written before the recession, so was the whole album. How could they write songs that address the current harsh economic climate when the songs were written beforehand?

I think you just answered your own question.

Nancy-Grace-C.jpg

you know, i just had a thought. maybe shut some people up, U2 should do a show like Nancy Grace, except for social issues like poverty and unemployment.

"Tonight, on Bono, more auto workers get laid off, and guess who's pissed! Tonight, 9ET/8CT"

:lmao: omg.

I don't think i have much to add as everyone's responses have pretty much answered the original post. What a silly topic.

However, if I met Bono, the one thing I would say to him is that charity begins at home.
ah, I was wondering what the point of this idiotic thread was until I stumbled upon this

so I'm to understand that your beef with U2/Bono is that they do not bail out Ireland out off this economic crisis? (as if that would be possible anyway)
last time I encountered hardcore communism like that must have been the early 80s
:hmm:

Back
Top Bottom