Well,......that's different!......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love Disturbed. I'll say that first.

They've been known to cover 80s songs. They covered "Land Of Confusion" by Genisis, which was great. And I absolutely love of their cover of Tears For Fears' "Shout."

But I don't know about this. And not just because I'm a U2 fan. The lyrics just don't seem to fit their style.

:rockon:

I heard from a guitar tech that they were trying an arrangement just like this for the NA leg of the 360 tour.

You're kidding, right? I'm not sure though...my sarcasm meter must be malfunctioning today. :wink: Maybe it's just that this song is firmly in the "warhorses I need a good long break from in order to appreciate again" category for me, so I'd pretty much welcome any change to it.

That was kind of cool, although the guitar solo didn't fit. I could see it being done heavier than U2 does it, but not like that.

I guess its ok musically, but I think this cover lost what makes the U2 version so special- which in my mind, is the melodic soul-searching prayer that this song was intended to be. So many covers of U2 songs may be "good" but they miss they spiritual yearning that makes U2 so special.

I like it.

But only if the solo wasn't so 'metal'. They should have a solo that fits the lyrics better.

^Just to show how much musical taste/opinions differ, that was like nails on a chalkboard to me, just horrid. Corgan's voice is not suited to that song at all, and fwiw, I generally like Smashing Pumpkins.

:yikes: I'm afraid of permanently damaging my eardrums if I click on any of those links. I like what I've heard from Disturbed so I did watch their clip... for about a minute. :no: I don't know - maybe because ISHFWILF is so sacred to me, there will never be a cover of it that I like. I just couldn't get through their version. :shrug:

ETA: The Dream Theater cover sounds pretty good. :up:

take that HMTMKMKM cover off
that may be the worst thing ive ever heard

"Technophobia" should kill themselves for producing such terrible shit

Dream Theatre to me is like heavy metal jazz, I love them, but this sounds more like U2! HA..... dig it!

^Just to show how much musical taste/opinions differ, that was like nails on a chalkboard to me, just horrid. Corgan's voice is not suited to that song at all, and fwiw, I generally like Smashing Pumpkins.

Agreed. I really do like the Pumpkins but I couldn't handle Billy's voice on that particular song.

Oh and the Dream Theater cover was spectacular. They also have a great cover of Bad.

]
just an aside, I've always wanted to hear Sarah McLachlan cover "Stay"... :love:
That would be fantastic.....kind of like her Angels song.....

trojanchick99 said:
Oh and the Dream Theater cover was spectacular. They also have a great cover of Bad.
Do you have a link? That would be amazing!

The Dream Theater cover is not bad, but the rest of those are just horrible imo. The Disturbed version of Still Haven't Found made my cringe.

I LOVE how talented the Pumpkins were. But I found that most songs were not suited to Corgan's voice. Wonderfuly musician and lyricist, but then he'd sing and I'd cringe. I feel the same about others, such as Dylan and even Neil Young (although to a lesser extent). I know most song-writers want to sing as well, but not everyone is a singer. I think Corgan can make a fortune writing for others (God knows we need some talented song-writers out there).

Still, this version was a nice attempt. :)

Back
Top Bottom