Watched "ZOO TV" Sydney DVD last night...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoopop

Rock n' Roll Doggie
And damn what a show.

I haven't seen in it nearly 10 years maybe. A few buddies stopped by for a few beers and they are late bloomers to U2, so I popped it in. Its just a perfect show.

-Crowd fired up from the beginning w/ intro, Zoo Station, Fly, Real Thing, MW

-Beautiful version of One.

-Unchained Melody into UTEOW.

-B stage of AOH, Stay, & SOL

-Dirty Day!!

-RST into Streets

-Great encore, Lemon into WOWY is really enchanting and moving.

I'm not saying U2 doesn't rock that anymore but you can tell they were really passionate about the show/performance. And I think of the current tour and see so much missed opportunity to blow stadiums away with more rockers from the 90's.

I like ZooTV Sydney's filming. It doesn't try to overwhelm the show itself.

The band's best live DVD in my opinion.

1) Really sharp performances- Dirty Day, UTEOTW and The Fly especially.
2) Bono still singing in his rich pre-Pop voice with superb falsetto on MW and Lemon and great rendition of One.
3) Bono at his peak as a showman with two splendid alter-egoes and rather less preaching (or perhaps more subtle preaching) than before or since.
4) Great filming, conveying the physical scale of Zoo TV along with its humour and ideas.

The performance of Running to Stand Still is, to this day, the greatest performance of any song I've ever seen, filmed or live.

I really don't like at all the studio version of Dirty Day, but the live version is fantastic.

The start of Zoo Station, with Bono's air kicks, is just fucking cool.

And then of course there's the epic DADDY'S GONNA PAY!

The band's best live DVD in my opinion.

1) Really sharp performances- Dirty Day, UTEOTW and The Fly especially.
2) Bono still singing in his rich pre-Pop voice with superb falsetto on MW and Lemon and great rendition of One.
3) Bono at his peak as a showman with two splendid alter-egoes and rather less preaching (or perhaps more subtle preaching) than before or since.
4) Great filming, conveying the physical scale of Zoo TV along with its humour and ideas.

Agreed. I burned out the tape after watching it at least once a week from 1995- 2000.

Then I bought the DVD recently and it's as good as ever.

Great DVD, not the greatest show of the tour but it's still a good one. Hope they will one day release one of the early indoor ZOO TV shows.

it's a great dvd and really highlights what u2 have done wrong in so many other dvd releases. by circumstances they'd limited themselves to only being able to really release the one show, and apart from removing one song (with potential legal ramifications, i understand), they actually didn't fuck with it.

this, popmart and red rocks are the real holy trinity for u2.

Not the best-looking U2 DVD out there - too much glare and the colours are all out of whack; Bono's face sometimes looks almost yellow. And the flickering words during the performance of The Fly are bloody annoying. The show is great though :love: I never liked the studio version of Dirty Day but it's amazing live.

Great DVD, not the greatest show of the tour but it's still a good one. Hope they will one day release one of the early indoor ZOO TV shows.
Yes, that would be awesome. Rotterdam and Stockholm are great shows.

The performance of Running to Stand Still is, to this day, the greatest performance of any song I've ever seen, filmed or live.

It's funny you say that, because -- although I haven't seen this video since 1996 -- "Running" was by far my least favorite performance, for two reasons: 1) I didn't like the late-Zoo arrangement, which stripped the track of its earthy, rough sounds (an essential part of it, for me), and 2) Bono's over-the-top posing and "acting" during the performance was too much cheese for me.

I like my U2 with a side order of dirt and subtlety.

(Addendum to above): When I say "subtlety", I mean relative to U2's standards (i.e., ten times less than the average group is fine, but twenty times less is too little). :wink:

(Addendum to above): When I say "subtlety", I mean relative to U2's standards (i.e., ten times less than the average group is fine, but twenty times less is too little). :wink:

I was going to say! this is U2 were talking here :wink:

The thing about ZooTV is that as great as the DVD is, it really does pale in comparison to the real thing, that show/tour was like nothing ever seen before in the Rock/Pop world, at least as far as I'm aware anyway, not on that scale.

Sheer madness.

I don't believe in god, but I WILL pray for an upgraded remastered professional grade version of Stockholm indoor ZooTV (the only complete pro-shot show from indoor tour as far as I'm aware) as part of the AB re-release.

The thing about ZooTV is that as great as the DVD is, it really does pale in comparison to the real thing, that show/tour was like nothing ever seen before in the Rock/Pop world, at least as far as I'm aware anyway, not on that scale.

I sorta agree, except I wouldn't call it great. I watch the DVD every once in awhile because it's ZooTV and it was a fantastic tour, but the DVD actually sucks. It didn't even come close to capturing the essence of the tour. I don't know if it's that particular show or just the way they filmed and edited the show, but I was truly disappointed when I watch it when it was first released...

I don't believe in god, but I WILL pray for an upgraded remastered professional grade version of Stockholm indoor ZooTV (the only complete pro-shot show from indoor tour as far as I'm aware) as part of the AB re-release.

agreed. there was something real special about that indoor ZooTV show.

Back
Top Bottom