Was U2 the "most important band of your college years"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, but I'm in college right now, so that may not be what you were asking for.

I saw ZooTV my senior year in high school, and Pop came out my first senior year in college, so yeah they played a BIG part in my college experience. I was a design major and we had a project where we designed a house based on an artist's view and I ended up designing an environment based on the ideas and concepts of ZooTV.

Not really. My roommate freshman year was a friend of mine from back home, who I had introduced to U2 in high school, and we listened to a lot of U2 and had a Joshua Tree poster on our dorm wall. I started college in Fall of 06, so with the exception of U218, there was basically nothing on the U2 front until NLOTH halfway through junior year. U2 kind of took a backseat for most of college, though I certainly still listened to them plenty.

Plus, freshman year I discovered my second favorite artist (Jars of Clay), and sophomore year I discovered my third favorite artist (Michael W Smith). Those two were who I listened to the most in college.

Good articles- interesting question. Achtung Baby had been a big part of my high school experience- it was all over the radio and MTV during those years. I think U2 was in my top 5 bands for most of college during the mid-to late-90's – especially after Pop came out and I saw a Popmart show (yes, I loved Pop). But for me, the posters on the wall of my dorm room were the Dave Matthews Band. I don't think I would have survived college without them.

DMB has kind of fallen off for me through the years, though, as have most of the other bands from that time, except for U2 – they seem to be the only ones with staying power for me.

I studied my undergrad degree from 1993 to 1997. U2 were definitely the biggest band around in 1993-94. From 1993 to 1995, they would have been the biggest band for me, too. The break between Zooropa and Pop took forever though (the entire span of my degree). By the time they came back, I had sort of lost interest and was more into newer, younger groups.

Sadly, no, but I couldn't tell you who would be. Big Star, Neil Young, Tom Waits, Bob Dylan, The National, The Cure and, yes, U2...they've all made a big impact on me since starting college.

U2 was by far the most important band in my life from like grade 5 on though.

I was in college '84 on...and YES U2 was a HUGE part of my college years...first U2 show I saw was with my college dorm buddies (and my sister)...great Unforgettable Fire show! We listened to U2 non-stop (along with the Police and Tears for Fears...Ha!). Good times...great memories! :D

For me personally, yes. But overall, no.

I was in college from 1991-1995 and heavily involved in our (teeny tiny, 10-watt) radio station, and I'd say it was easily Nirvana. The impact or importance now gets (somewhat rightfully) pooh-poohed quite a bit, but that record and the ensuing grunge explosion were pretty friggin' huge, musically.

rem.jpg

God, yes.

These guys were a very close #2 for me in HS (84 - 88) and college (88 - more than 4 years)......U2 were #1, though. But, damn, if you have to have a #2 band you can't do much better. This will sound stupid or corny or both but I'll always feel gratitude towards REM. They were always there when I needed them back then.

In fact, even just looking at this photo makes me a tad wistful.....but happy.

I'll stfu now.

Definitely. I was in my first year of college when ATYCLB came out, and I became a major U2 fanatic. Its embarrassing how I spent so much time reading every article I could get my hands on, blasted U2 whenever they came on the radio, and played ATYCLB and any U2 CD I bought obsessively.

I think my fanaticism was due to me going through a tough time back then, and the lyrics to Beautiful Day, Walk On and Stuck got me through a lot of days.

I was in college from '95-'99. While U2 was part of my college soundtrack there wasn't a dominant band on it.

My freshman year you couldn't down my all girls hall without hearing Courtney Love or Alanis Morrissette. Towards the end of the year No Doubt was big.

My Sophomore year roommate was the one who got me into U2 and at that point we were all listening to the Pumpkins. Garbage also started to get a lot of play.

I also got into Fleetwood Mac after the Dance. I was in the Trojan Marching Band so we performed with them for the special. I didn't realize how much great music they had made until then.

Other bands I listened to were RHCP, Matchbox 20, Fastball (yeah I know), The Offspring and of course Pearl Jam.

90-94, and yes U2 was absolutely my #1. Achtung Baby was on heavy rotation, obviously, but Zooropa is probably the only reason I survived summer school in 93.

Honestly though, I probably have fonder U2 memories from high school: JT, R&H, and discovering their back catalog.

I started college in Fall of 06, so with the exception of U218, there was basically nothing on the U2 front until NLOTH halfway through junior year.

Same here. U2 really weren't a big part of pop culture while I was in college. High school was a different story, since that was when Vertigo was really popular.

I started college in the fall of '09, so they haven't released ANYTHING in my college years.

EDIT: Except Winter and North Star. My bad.

Not the most important during my college years, but they were definitely a part of it. The only new album they released during that time was HTDAAB my sophomore year, but those songs did make up a bit of the college soundtrack during that period. I also watched my first show by them during the Vertigo tour, so that was another thing that came up during that period.

I would say sorta... I became a U2 psycho nut job in college... but I would say the most important musical discovery of my college years was Springsteen... not that he was big when I was in college... he hadn't yet reunited with the E Street and was a few years before The Rising... but a guy who lived across the ball from me freshman year was a huge Bruce fan... he got more into U2 and I got more into Bruce over many an ice cold Natty.

I would say sorta... I became a U2 psycho nut job in college... but I would say the most important musical discovery of my college years was Springsteen... not that he was big when I was in college... he hadn't yet reunited with the E Street and was a few years before The Rising... but a guy who lived across the ball from me freshman year was a huge Bruce fan... he got more into U2 and I got more into Bruce over many an ice cold Natty.

I could have used a few people like you had in my halls, haha. Come to think of it, all my college friends at the time gave me crap for liking U2. I can remember coming back to the dorms after the Vertigo show in Milwaukee and they talked to me like I was at Backstreet Boys concert or something (not that that's particularly bad or anything, but when this is a group of males who think they know better than everyone, then yeah).

For me, absolutely! Like others have said, U2 were far more influential on pop culture as a whole in my High School years. Bomb came out my Senior year and it felt a bit like it probably felt for older people in 1987. U2 were everywhere, and I had a theology teacher who was a major fan(and Bono look alike) that I always discussed them with. HTDAAB was constantly on in my Mom and aunt's cars and I can remember liking Vertigo a lot more back then and Sometimes and COBL really grabbing me. For me personally, though, my college years were all U2, all the time. The obsession started for me when I saw my first show in October 2005, my freshman year of college. At the time, U2 were still relatively popular among my peers but they would soon fall behind RHCP, DMB and The Fray at my school. Plus, going to school in Burlington, VT, there was a hell of a lot of Floyd, Zeppelin, Dead and Phish. For me, all I remember is the constant rush I got from discovering U2's back catalog. Bullet, I Will Follow, Gloria, Wild Horses and One Tree Hill stood out in Fall 2005. Electric co, An Cat Dubh, Out of Control and especially Bad stood out in Spring 2006. I was literally mesmerized by the R&H version of Bad and never tired of watching it throughout April and May. My most sentimental college memories of U2 were in the Fall of 2006, discovering Zoo Tv and really getting into Slane 2001. I also remember discovering 11 O Clock Tick Tock and most of War in this time period. However, the fondest memories are reserved for my 1st experiences with Kite, Stay and The Unforgettable Fire title track that fall. What a thrill it was to have it all summed up so nicely when they played Kite, One Tree Hill and Bad on those Pacific Vertigo shows that fall! It all sent chills down my spine, and all of those songs instantly bring me back to those beautiful Vermont fall days when I discovered them. Spring 2007, sophomore year, brought more discoveries than I can count but notable for In God's Country, the original Mercy and A Sort of Homecoming. I also dug into Pop and Popmart and was surprised at how much I loved that, given how partial I had been toward 1980-1993 and then 2001-. Fall 2007 I didn't really discover much but I remember really digging Conspiracy of Hope, JT and especially Zoo TV tours where Sophomre yr had leaned toward War, Elevation, Lovetown and Vertigo. I just loved these guys, all eras, and didn't care if no one else at school did! Spring 2008 I discovered interference and U2 start, which was incredible, and March on brought an obsession with the JT remaster and the Vertigo tour. I also dug alot through AB and Pop era songs like Lady and Holy Joe and remember a special obsession with the live version of Last Night On Earth during this time. Fall 2008 was Lovetown and Zoo TV central for me and I remember the painful anticipation of NLOTH like it was last night. Spring 2009 was the album of course and my 2nd time seeing U2(Somerville) and 1st and only time meeting them. What an experience. I associate the end of college with my Dad getting sick and dying, so that's hard, but to say that U2 were there the whole 4 years through thick and thin would be an understatement! U2 were a major constant for my college years, I went in a somewhat knowledgable casual newbie fan intrigued to learn more and came out a die hard.

trevgreg said:
I could have used a few people like you had in my halls, haha. Come to think of it, all my college friends at the time gave me crap for liking U2. I can remember coming back to the dorms after the Vertigo show in Milwaukee and they talked to me like I was at Backstreet Boys concert or something (not that that's particularly bad or anything, but when this is a group of males who think they know better than everyone, then yeah).

His AOL screen name... yea, we had those then... was r0ulette. At first I thought he was just a degenerate gambler.

Sorry for the long post with no distinct paragraphs, got
carried away typing on my phone!

Yes, but in New Zealand and a lesser extent Australia, "college" refers to high school. :wink:

Ugh, that was the height of my U2 fandom and people from school probably still remember me just as "the U2 guy".

As for my undergraduate years at uni, 2006-08, not really. That was when my interest in U2 waned. I think the most significant year for me in terms of music discovery was 2006; a lot of my listening habits were really shaped by the albums I got that year. It was when I discovered the album that means the most to me (Anathema's Judgement) and a number of others that are almost as important. Though in saying that, I did see U2 live seven times that year as well! It was a big transition period.

I suppose the most important band of undergrad was Porcupine Tree, culminating in following them around Australia in my third year. But there were some other really important ones too, and especially when I add in Honours and postgrad, it's hard to say just one band was more important than any other.

fixed.

I'm known by my friends as the U2 guy. I quite like it though. For instance I was at a party not long ago when someone grown man of about 28 years of age was singing along to Vanessa Carlton's 1000 Miles asked me who my favourite band of all time was. He then proceeded to call my favourite band of all time "Gay" and rambled on about how crap they were. Nice one dude. :shrug:

Haha, I'll cop that one, Daniel.

I have not heard this before.

In that case, sure, I'll say U2 were my college band. :)

I've never paid attention in other states, but in Queensland, the names of all state-run secondary schools was "high school", like Bumfuckville State High School, while all the private ones were "college", like Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen College (I fear this one probably exists somewhere). I don't know if that was intentional or if all the private places just thought "college" made them sound more important. In regular speech everybody just used "high school" for both.

When I moved to Australia, it took a little adjusting to not call high school "college".

Back
Top Bottom