Vote for The Edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The server isn't crashed. It says that message whenever you press skip. :/ rigging the contest so you have to vote for everyone.

Just change the number in the link and you'll go to a next artist. :wink: Matt Bellamy was around 40something I think, Slash was 50something.

Matt Bellamy certainly isn't the greatest guitarist ever, and neither is The Edge. The whole argument is ridiculous, but for my 2 cents I'd suggest either Hendrix or Jimmy Page. With extra mention for both Keith Richards and David Gilmour.

I really don't think there should be a "who's the greatest guitarist" thing. Because there really is no better guitar player, this coming from a guitar player himself. Each one does their own thing and that's what makes them unique and set apart from each other. I love The Edge and I definitely take on his approach and style to my own guitar style but I don't want to be the next "The Edge", I want to be the first me. I don't like these things when they make music/musicians a competition. Music takes on many forms. Rock, Jazz, Blues, R&B, Hip Hop/Rap (I don't consider this music at all), etc. It's made to suit each and every one of us, not be a sport. There really should be no "better".

Sorry for all that. *rant over*

The poll is forever irrelevant as it has Angus Young at 10th position which is downright ridiculous. Most generic guitar glayer ever.

:up: I'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks AC/DC are cliched trite

The typical AC/DC song formula:

Cliched rock 'n' roll riff
Same basic drum beat (count yourself lucky if you get a drum fill!)
Lyrics about rock 'n' roll
Growling vocals
An abrupt 20 second solo (the only thing Young actually ever does) with the same guitar tone song after song
Ends with one last drum fill and symbal crash

:happy:

Yeah, you can tell how much I detest them.

Robert Smith?:huh:

What a strange list...

I think it's a weird question, I mean are we judging on skill alone or what they've written?

You would get two completely different lists if you specified that question.

It really is a joke if Matt Bellamy is number 1. He's good but he isn't a legendary guitar player like Page or Hendrix.

AC/DC may have been writing the same song for a long time, but Young is good and has shredded some unbelievable solos in his time.

The only decent thing he's done in my ears is the Thunderstruck riff.

:tongue:
It really is a joke if Matt Bellamy is number 1. He's good but he isn't a legendary guitar player like Page or Hendrix.

Well he's my number one, so I voted for him. :shrug: None of these lists are completely objective, people will always vote for their favourites. I don't really care for Page, and ofcourse I recognize the legacy of Hendrix, but he's not my favourite guitarist. Bellamy is quite inventive and his riffs are great, and I feel connected to their music that way. He's quite technical. So yeah, for me he's the best guitarist right now.
Edge is awesome at creating atmospheres with his guitar, but technically he's not the most brilliant guy around. With effects and everthing, he's a fucking genius.

Most people will look at him when he comes up and say

"oh he's just a stupid pedal dependant who only knows 3 notes blah, blah, blah"

anyone that thinks that should watch the video of the special,
where he came on out an empty stage with just a guitar and an amp and played for an hour
that proved he had real chops and does not need any pedals.

Hendrix is #1, in my opinion.

But I would like to submit the name Mike McCready for consideration in the top 10 or 20 of all-time.

Thanks for your time.

Robert Smith?:huh:

What a strange list...

I think it's a weird question, I mean are we judging on skill alone or what they've written?

You would get two completely different lists if you specified that question.

oh it's a meaningless poll anyway like most of those that are around. you can never consider them fully accurate!
first of all who's the one deciding which guitarists get to be nominated at all? Who gets to be the opinion leader? Secondly, what GG said - people are so subjective anyway. They vote for what they like!

But for solidarity to those I consider the best in my opinion, i voted. Not that any title gained or losed is going to make me feel differently about them.
for me, The Edge is probably the best guitarists around, so I voted for him.
And for Tom Morello, also my fav, he is just amazing with guitar!!!

and also I just had to vote for Robert Smith! I just honor him in any possible way, the guy's a genius! but the best guitarist title would probably be a bit unjustified, that's why i didn't give him full points but a little less ;)

Growling vocals
An abrupt 20 second solo (the only thing Young actually ever does) with the same guitar tone song after song

Not really 'Growling Vocals' more like 'Constipated-Senile-Man-Who-Smoked-Way-Too-Many-Cigarettes Vocals'

Growling vocals

Not even close to as much as I despise them, Vlad! :D

Back
Top Bottom