Vionlins in U2 songs???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Doesn't Breathe feature some sort of string arrangement?

Kite's violins sound like shit because they aren't violins. Pretty positive Eno found a keyboard setting he liked and sat on it for the song's duration.

Another reason I greatly prefer live Kite.

Weren't the strings on the album version of OOTS fake strings as well? And then re-done with actual musicians on the single version?

Baffling decisions. Like they can't afford a few fiddlers for their damned records.

Weren't the strings on the album version of OOTS fake strings as well? And then re-done with actual musicians on the single version?
Wait, what? :ohmy:
*goes to YouTube to check*
Yep, sounds like MIDI. Can't believe I didn't notice that earlier...Also, why didn't they just add the string part from the single mix to the album version? Weird.

I would assume the album was finished long before the single mix was, as that was one of the later singles from the album.

Are you looking for live versions, too?

J. Shankar played violin (I think) on Bad in 1993. (I can't find my goddamn bootleg right now of course.)

Sunday Bloody Sunday and Drowning Man both violin parts. I think Drowning Man's violin part is gorgeous, just like the whole song.

Baffling decisions. Like they can't afford a few fiddlers for their damned records.

:D Yep, that single version was recorded in Hilversum, The Netherlands in 2005 around when U2 were playing the shows there in july.

Unforgettable Fire, Drowning Man, So Cruel, possibly A Sort of Homecoming but there's so much going on in that song I'm not sure.

One of my fave pieces of music ever is The Swan from Passengers. The cello against the rain is just so sad.

Nice thread btw. I like strings.

You can find some form of backing string situation to fill out the mix in any number of songs.

As for Kite, they're supposed to sound like that.

If it hasen't been mentioned already, Winter has some Violin/Viola/Cello Viva La Vida-type string part.

U2 famously brought a string section in to record some overdubs on the aborted 2003 sessions. According to several interviews, it wasn't until the band was watching the string players looking doubtful that they realized the material wasn't quite up to snuff.

Also, "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" (more prominent on some mixes than others) and the "Bitter Kiss" remix of "Dirty Day" (during the bridge -- cello by Mr. Brian Eno).

Back
Top Bottom