Uber version

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buddhabone

Babyface
I'm sitting at work today thinking about the Uber edition of Achtung Baby. I actually feel that the Uber edition looks cool, I just wonder why it exists. I remember back in the Eighties, all us kids felt the band represented a forward thinking approach that focused on integrity and fairness to their fans. Sound was always excellent at the shows and usually there would be tickets at the box office so we could get in without being scalped. With the reissue about to drop, I wonder if the old band would support this uber edition as a concept. It's almost feels exploitive to be offered this chance to shell out $430 for a puzzle top box, a vinyl version of the record, singles in their original sleeves, and, don't forget, the fly sunglasses.

I leave to you to decide.

I'm sitting at work today thinking about the Uber edition of Achtung Baby. I actually feel that the Uber edition looks cool, I just wonder why it exists. I remember back in the Eighties, all us kids felt the band represented a forward thinking approach that focused on integrity and fairness to their fans. Sound was always excellent at the shows and usually there would be tickets at the box office so we could get in without being scalped. With the reissue about to drop, I wonder if the old band would support this uber edition as a concept. It's almost feels exploitive to be offered this chance to shell out $430 for a puzzle top box, a vinyl version of the record, singles in their original sleeves, and, don't forget, the fly sunglasses.

I leave to you to decide.

Not having seen my copy yet, I do think it is a little over-priced. But no, I don't have a problem with it existing. Then again, I'm buying mine for about $300 from Amazon.ca. Some copies have gone for more than twice that and THAT'S insane!

I will say the super deluxe is a better deal than the Pink Floyd Immersion boxes. The Dark Side of the Moon box is roughly the same price for 6 discs, as opposed to the 10 U2 give you. Sting is smoking crack. His deluxe box is 3 CDs of "best-of" remastered tracks (nothing new) and a live DVD. A terrible deal!

I to shell out $430 for a puzzle top box, a vinyl version of the record, singles in their original sleeves, and, don't forget, the fly sunglasses.

You can not be serious...

$430?

That's such bullshit. Way to treat the hardcore fans.

I don't feel ill-treated, considering I'm getting 6 CDs and 6 DVDs (plus the book and whatever else is in there; that might be it) for about $125 after shipping with the Super Deluxe. The vinyl is available separately, so it's not like you have to pay $500 to get it.

If someone wants to spend that much money to have the other stuff that comes with it, more power to them. I do think it's ridiculous, considering it's another $200 or so for the sunglasses, stickers and badges, and apparently a few extra pages in the book. And a box that's a puzzle. Meh. I consider myself a "completist" in some aspects, but I have my limits. Which is fine in this case - I'm getting the meaty parts of the release in the super deluxe.

But I fail to see how it's treating the fans poorly to have that version available. It's not like the only options are A) single disc reissue, B) $500 version. :shrug:

If anything, I think it just says that McGuinness has a shoddy view of what "pump up the value" means, looking back to what he'd said about the upcoming box sets. But is that really any surprise? I think we're all cynical enough that we were skeptical of what his version of "pumped up value" was. :wink:

Edit: I didn't realize the singles were in there as well. But it doesn't change my argument.

Is the difference worth $200? I dunno. I'll say when I see it. I would happily have paid at least $60 for the glasses and $10 each for the LP singles. That's $110 right there.

I'd say my $300 Canadian copy is in the ballpark.

Now, $430? Or worse? That doesn't seem like such a bargain to me.

corianderstem said:
I don't feel ill-treated, considering I'm getting 6 CDs and 6 DVDs (plus the book and whatever else is in there; that might be it) for about $125 after shipping with the Super Deluxe. The vinyl is available separately, so it's not like you have to pay $500 to get it.

If someone wants to spend that much money to have the other stuff that comes with it, more power to them. I do think it's ridiculous, considering it's another $200 or so for the sunglasses, stickers and badges, and apparently a few extra pages in the book. And a box that's a puzzle. Meh. I consider myself a "completist" in some aspects, but I have my limits. Which is fine in this case - I'm getting the meaty parts of the release in the super deluxe.

But I fail to see how it's treating the fans poorly to have that version available. It's not like the only options are A) single disc reissue, B) $500 version. :shrug:

If anything, I think it just says that McGuinness has a shoddy view of what "pump up the value" means, looking back to what he'd said about the upcoming box sets. But is that really any surprise? I think we're all cynical enough that we were skeptical of what his version of "pumped up value" was. :wink:

Edit: I didn't realize the singles were in there as well. But it doesn't change my argument.

This.

I can get all the audio and video for a reasonable price, why would I feel cheated?

Have we have fans become this fucking spoiled?

Have we become this displaced from reality?

Let's do a little practice here:

Look at the package of your choice, itemize all the features and ask yourself what would you spend for it all separately in a retail setting.

Do you have to buy it?

I'll give it a shot:

6 U2 CDs: $60
4 U2 DVDs: $80
5 U2 LP singles: $50
Freaking awesome magnetic Achtung Baby cabinet: $150
Bono glasses: $60
16 art prints: $20
84 page hardcover book: $10
Stickers and badges: I dunno, $10?

Yeah, ok.

Now, I don't actually WANT new copies of Zooropa or the ZOOTV Sydney shows (subtract $30), but we're well over the $300 amazon.ca is charging me. And then the other X factor is, what if the box really is limited edition?

ETA: I notice that the Smith's super deluxe box came out Oct 11, and now is only available from 3rd part sellers for almost $600....

Or maybe just Occupy Amsterdam, for U2?

Amsterdam already has an Occupy movement going right now, so I'm afraid it'd have to be Dublin after all. :wink:

Occupy Bono's house?

Either way I don't think 300$ is too much to ask. We do get shitloads of stuff for it, I'd say it's worth the price. Then again, if you don't feel it's worth it, nobody is forcing you to buy. We just get the choice to do it.

i think the pricing is pretty disgusting actually... :down:

are they not aware how people are struggling in this global economic meltdown? obviously not!

fleece em while you can boys! :D

They have to feed their children. We wouldn't want them to go cold and hungry this winter, would we? :)

they say they want relevance, that they want to be in tune with their times, and then they do this...

plus, that's a lot of money they adding on for all the extra factory produced crap...

i guess they're catering to the 1% then? ok, that's pretty relevant i guess :D

i think the pricing is pretty disgusting actually... :down:

are they not aware how people are struggling in this global economic meltdown? obviously not!

fleece em while you can boys! :D

See, this is the thing that bugs me. No one is being "fleeced," and U2 is not "catering to the 1%" when you can get the actual substances of the release for $125.

Obviously, someone who's struggling to make ends meet isn't even going to have money for that, but again - it's not like there are only two versions of this available (bare bones version and the ridiculous version).

I keep forgetting Canada's Amazon site had it for 300. That was slightly more tempting, but still wasn't worth it to me. I'm already able to get everything I wanted for 125.

Niceman said:
I'll give it a shot:

6 U2 CDs: $60
4 U2 DVDs: $80
5 U2 LP singles: $50
Freaking awesome magnetic Achtung Baby cabinet: $150
Bono glasses: $60
16 art prints: $20
84 page hardcover book: $10
Stickers and badges: I dunno, $10?

Yeah, ok.

Now, I don't actually WANT new copies of Zooropa or the ZOOTV Sydney shows (subtract $30), but we're well over the $300 amazon.ca is charging me. And then the other X factor is, what if the box really is limited edition?

ETA: I notice that the Smith's super deluxe box came out Oct 11, and now is only available from 3rd part sellers for almost $600....

Where do you live that CDs and books are so cheap?

Ah, there's more in the uber version than I realized. Doesn't change my stance, but I'm glad to see there's slightly more to it than some stickers and badges and sunglasses. ;)

I can find some new releases on sale for $10, but also see sale prices at the same store of $13 or $15, and then depending on where I go, maybe as high as $17 once the sale price is gone.

I'm not thrilled that the discs are inside the book in the super deluxe version, but whatever. I'll deal with it.

Back
Top Bottom