UABRS DVD Director Commentary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He sounds like a nice old man and all but there are only so many ways you can say, "It was a great show." I tuned out after three songs. I turned off the commentary after that. I may revisit it later, but my first take is that it's a bit dull. Perhaps if I wasn't so familiar with the story behind the show I'd find it more informative.

Originally Posted by UABRS Director

...like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on ‘em. ‘Give me five bees for a quarter,’ you’d say.
Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
:rolleyes:

The director was factually-challenged in his commentary. He said that the War tour was U2's first tour in America. WRONG-that was 1981.:down:

Originally Posted by UABRS Director

...like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on ‘em. ‘Give me five bees for a quarter,’ you’d say.
Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

:rolleyes:

:uhoh: seriously that's from the dvd? Looks like I'll skip that special feature!

The director was factually-challenged in his commentary. He said that the War tour was U2's first tour in America. WRONG-that was 1981.:down:

As a matter of fact, it was 1980. U2's first show on American soil was 6 December 1980.

asr got SERVED.

Anyway, I turned on the subtitle version of the commentary and it looks like he spends ages trying to say each sentence as the words on screen change so slowly. It seems like half a song he says "I can't wait to sit down and watch this properly. I can't wait. I really can't wait. It's going to be great. I can't wait to sit down and watch it properly for the first time in years. I'm going to get people who were involved and we'll watch it."

sounds like he's reading off cue cards too which is annoying and at one point says it's the complete show which, as the director, he should know is pretty wrong. I imagine he was losing a couple of hairs during the camera failure on I Fall Down..

all in all i MIGHT watch it with the commentary sometime soon but I'm not exactly fucking RUSHING. I was hoping for a whole band commentary why the hell didn't they do THAT?!

Back
Top Bottom