U2's videos being remastered in HD - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2020, 04:18 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:41 AM
U2's videos being remastered in HD

Sorry if there's already a thread I've missed, thought this was some good news after that pretty rubbish sounding ATYCLB box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2.com
Remastered on YouTube

YouTube, Island Records, Interscope, and UMe have announced the relaunch of U2's Official YouTube Channel with weekly releases of the band's most iconic music videos and never before seen content on YouTube, all remastered at the highest standard.

Over the next year the band's music video catalogue will be remastered in HD and launched exclusively on YouTube in that format.

Highlights will include previously unreleased live, behind the scenes and remixed content, and some of the band's best known music videos upgraded to HD for the first time ever, up to 4K quality when possible.

The project will result in hundreds of new and upgraded videos being added to the channel, and a curated experience for fans to be able to explore the depth of the catalogue.

This seems long overdue though I guess we should hold our breath with those "previously unreleased live" videos. I'm not going to get excited hoping for the complete Tempe Joshua Tree show in HD/4K for example because you can bet it'll just end up being a bunch of live SOE songs...

But it'll be good to see the old videos remastered for a start. And if this leads to a proper video collection on blu ray then great

gareth brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:57 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:41 PM
Good news. Thinking it'll just be music videos and live performances that we've already seen. But hey, HD/4K!

prbiker15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:59 PM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 05:41 PM
Hopefully the reaction to the Chicago film gave them a kick in this direction. I’ve no idea what else they have that can be effectively upscaled - in the spirit of the Elevation reissue I’d love a better quality Boston, but that depends how it was originally shot I guess. Failing that,... a 2011 show would be awesome.
tommycharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:11 AM   #4
War Child

Local Time: 06:41 PM
Great news
Hopefully we'll get the rare u2 videos in HD as well, like Lemon, Windows in the sky Modernista version, A celebration, Gloria, When liove comes to town (not the live r&h version).
wolbersu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:52 PM   #5
Refugee

Will be interesting to see if they remaster all their old videos. I’ve got a feeling they might take a revisionist approach and ignore certain videos and songs that they no longer like.
AndrewCowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:37 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCowley View Post
Will be interesting to see if they remaster all their old videos. I’ve got a feeling they might take a revisionist approach and ignore certain videos and songs that they no longer like.

They really are odd when it comes to this sort of thing. For example, I don’t think they have the US version of Stuck (Football kicker) or the US version of Walk On (people walking around turning into other people) on their official site (amongst many other videos).

Those two really stick out to me because when ATYCLB was released, they were all over MTV and VH1.

As much as I can admit they are nit “good” music videos, they are very sentimental to me as they are what I remember always seeing at that time in my life.
CosmoKramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:38 PM   #7
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCowley View Post
You say that, but their first entry is the Stuck video... the Edge foot video for Numb is weird but it’s nothing on stunt Bono being thrown out of a van in a fleece jacket
Old 09-19-2020, 07:41 PM   #8
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKramer View Post
They really are odd when it comes to this sort of thing. For example, I don’t think they have the US version of Stuck (Football kicker) or the US version of Walk On (people walking around turning into other people) on their official site (amongst many other videos).

Those two really stick out to me because when ATYCLB was released, they were all over MTV and VH1.

As much as I can admit they are nit “good” music videos, they are very sentimental to me as they are what I remember always seeing at that time in my life.
I think the football video of Stuck is the superior one. Like you, I was in the US in 2000, and it’s the canonical one.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:17 PM   #9
Refugee

Well let’s see if A Celebration gets a remaster or not.
AndrewCowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:31 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommycharles View Post
I think the football video of Stuck is the superior one. Like you, I was in the US in 2000, and it’s the canonical one.
I was in the US in 2000.

That video has always been cringe-worthy and awful, and still is.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:56 AM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommycharles View Post

I’m an American who was in Europe at this time.

I despise the football one. Keep tossing stumbley Bono out of that van for not paying his dealer as many times as you can.
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:33 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:41 AM
I think the "football" version came out rather late... just before the fall of 2001, as the Elevation tour was wrapping up. The other version had come out the year before when the single was released in non-US countries.
trevgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:30 PM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 11:41 AM
The football video is so embarrassing. The stupidity of it and the degree of pandering was staggering. It was very unlike U2 and was the first time I though "oh God, what the fuck is this shit and why did they make it?"
Hollow Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:25 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

Definitely an early sign of the ongoing pandering that was to come.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:17 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I was in the US in 2000.

That video has always been cringe-worthy and awful, and still is.
The sport version is appalling. The van version came out first and I'm sure is considered the official version.
An Cat Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:54 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Stuck is a really great song. Shame that both videos were so bad.
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:57 PM   #17
Refugee

Little known fact: the same people behind that football video were later promoted to t-shirt designers
DeVaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:34 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

All That You Can’t Leave Behind Era official videos:

Beautiful Day A+
Stuck (Europe release) B-
Stuck (US football release) D
Walk On (US release) C
Walk On (International release) B
Elevation D-/ F

The Stuck “football” version is probably an “F” but it holds sentimental value for me. Elevation is a song I really love, especially this mix but but man is the video cheesy as all hell. The editing of putting Edge in with the movie scenes looks so amateurish....ugh

Anyway, Beautiful Day is one of their best music videos and was just spectacularly well done.
CosmoKramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:52 AM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeVaul View Post
Little known fact: the same people behind that football video were later promoted to t-shirt designers
This is an underrated post.
Headache in a Suitcase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:54 AM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

That they took a song about a conversation with a friend who was thinking about killing themselves and promoted it with a video filled with U2 puns, the extras from The Replacements, John Madden, and Edge slipping on nachos is an abomination.

Headache in a Suitcase is online now   Reply With Quote