U2's second chance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes, you are right on this. Which other band, apart from U2, from the 80s is still big? And where are all those bands of the 90s now? There are very very very few bands that can dominate 3 decades. U2 did it in the 80s, 90s and 00s.

Where are Echo and the Bunnymen, R.E.M., The Cure, Depeche Mode, Guns n Roses, Metallica, Beastie Boys, Red Hot Chilli Peppers...
And who is still there from the 90s? Where are The Smashing Pumpkins, Live, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, The Offspring, and ALL THOSE britpop bands (Blur, Oasis, Suede, The Verve etc,etc).

In that light it is amazing that U2 is still there and with top album sellings and able to sell millions of concert tickets!

ehmm...., I have to stand for Depeche Mode here! Depeche Mode are still around and still make fantastic albums and sell out tours! It's not fair to compare them to U2 because Depeche Mode have always been more underground and experimental than U2. They never appealed to the big crowds and were horny for being the biggest, the best, larger-than-life, the way U2 did/were... So you can't compare apples and oranges in this manner. I dare to say that there are many DM-songs that are so fantastic, I prefer them above some "pretend-to-be-great" U2 songs... (In Your Room, Walking In My Shoes, I Feel You, It's No Good, Home, Precious, Fragile Tension, etc...)

To be fair, Metallica and, until recently, Oasis and RHCP were still fairly big.

And when it comes to the "act-your-age" I have to agree just partly.
I think it's great they still try and fiddle around with the latest technology etc... Although I think they could use it even more challenging and experimental IMO in their latest recordings.

I do however get more and more "squeezing my butt together & curling my toes" moments when I see Bono making "rapper-like" movements when performing with, for example Jay-Z and Rihanna. And swaying like a monkey performing "Kids" with Kylie.
I mean: look at some (sad) performances U2 and especially Bono already have on their account: One performed with Mary J. Blige (disgusting!) The way he says: ..."Mary-hhh.." before she starts singing::barf::yuck::yuck:.
Bono drooling alongside Alicia Keys, Bono and Kylie, Bono and Jay-Z & Rihanna...
I mean, where is this gonna end? Bono dueting with 50 Cent being tough rappers for world peace? Bono making dance moves along-side Justin Timberlake? Bono dueting with Paris Hilton and Ashley Simpson? All to keep up to pace with the "pop kids" but with the excuse: doing it for the good cause? This was probably when he said: "we might lose some of the pop-kids but we don't need them." This is getting more and more like: "we might lose some of our most loyal serious fan-base, but we don't need them.." And the irony is: he is probably right! More and more the real loyal (hardcore) fanbase is thinning out and your "big-joe-average crowd" is growing. So the days U2 starts acting like a real critical band again (WAR, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby) and don't care what the overall public opinion thinks of them seem long gone...

In 2005 for the Hall of Fame Induction Acceptence Speech, Bono said: "That's what I'd like you to take away from tonight. I would like to ask the music business to look at itself and ask itself some hard questions. Because there would be no U2 the way things are right now. That's a fact." How creadible is he saying this when you see him kissing a.. with Jay-Z, holding hands with Rihanna, etc... who are all representatives for contemporary, throw-away pop tunes made or pop-kids!! Why the hell isn't he dueting with Thom Yorke, David Bowie, Morrissey, Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, and with serious great bands from now: Editors, Keane. When he's pretending to be such a representative for "real" music, why isn't he pulling these kind of artists out of the shadow and into the full spotlights?

The contemporary music by Beyoncé, Rihanna, Mary J. Blige, Lady Gaga, Kelly Clarkson, Pussycat Dolls, Jay-Z, etc, can stand on it's own, sadly we all know that & nobody can avoid it. Everywhere you go you see/hear these "artists".

Bono: stop holding hands and puttting feathers up their a..... and by these means trying to be still hip and cool yourself! Ask yourself some hard questions and ACT as you say...

yes, you are right on this. Which other band, apart from U2, from the 80s is still big? And where are all those bands of the 90s now? There are very very very few bands that can dominate 3 decades. U2 did it in the 80s, 90s and 00s.

Where are Echo and the Bunnymen, R.E.M., The Cure, Depeche Mode, Guns n Roses, Metallica, Beastie Boys, Red Hot Chilli Peppers...
And who is still there from the 90s? Where are The Smashing Pumpkins, Live, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, The Offspring, and ALL THOSE britpop bands (Blur, Oasis, Suede, The Verve etc,etc).

In that light it is amazing that U2 is still there and with top album sellings and able to sell millions of concert tickets!

The Cure and Depeche Mode, and to a lesser extent Echo and The Bunnymen are still making great music! I listen to it....

Go on Youtube and look up The Cure's 2009 song "Underneath the Stars."
Then check out Depeche Mode's 2009 video for "Wrong."

Then check out Depeche Mode's 2009 video for "Wrong."

Or, better yet, listen to Personal Jesus. :wink:

The Cure at least has Bloodflowers under their weathered belt. It's always a treat when a band their age can release a record that strong.

It's not fair to compare them to U2 because Depeche Mode have always been more underground and experimental than U2.

When was the last time DM were experimental? I like DM but they haven't been experimental in ages... and they did try for the biggest back in the 90's let's not fool ourselves.

I do however get more and more "squeezing my butt together & curling my toes" moments when I see Bono making "rapper-like" movements when performing with, for example Jay-Z and Rihanna. And swaying like a monkey performing "Kids" with Kylie.
I mean: look at some (sad) performances U2 and especially Bono already have on their account: One performed with Mary J. Blige (disgusting!) The way he says: ..."Mary-hhh.." before she starts singing::barf::yuck::yuck:.
Bono drooling alongside Alicia Keys, Bono and Kylie, Bono and Jay-Z & Rihanna...

It sounds more like you don't like rap and r&b than any real criticism. I mean with the exception of One, the rest of these were charity songs or one off live performances... maybe you start asking yourself some hard questions.

When was the last time DM were experimental? I like DM but they haven't been experimental in ages... and they did try for the biggest back in the 90's let's not fool ourselves.

It sounds more like you don't like rap and r&b than any real criticism. I mean with the exception of One, the rest of these were charity songs or one off live performances... maybe you start asking yourself some hard questions.

I wouldn't say DM really were trying to be the biggest, at least not on a U2 sized scale. Violator's success had more to do with mainstream radio catching up with alternative radio. Depeche Mode were ahead of the curve, and by the time Violator came out, the mainstream scene was changing, alternative acts were becoming mainstream, and Violator exploded. Didn't hurt that Enjoy The Silence and Personal Jesus were two of the best songs Martin ever wrote, but let us not forget that Enjoy The Silence started as a ballad (it was Flood and Wilder who influenced the music for that track) and Personal Jesus, while being a huge blockbuster hit, i wouldn't say was anymore less accessible than Strangelove or Never Let Me Down Again. I'd say Personal Jesus was a lot more daring, in fact. It's just that the songs fit right into the times. The radio was ready for them, finally.

And Songs of Faith? I wouldn't say that album sounds like a band trying to take over the world. It's an incredibly dark and subtle album. Besides I Feel You and Walking In My Shoes, there really aren't any "radio ready" singles to be found there.

So were Depeche Mode trying to be big? Sure, they were trying to break through their entire career, like any band does. But I don't think the gameplan changed drastically with Violator. It's just that at that moment it was suddenly cool to like Depeche Mode. The band was just doing what they always were doing.

You need to put this in context...

I wasn't talking about Violator, I was talking about Songs of Faith, there was a deliberate move to more "real" instruments and live sound. David admittingly said it was their attempt to embrace the "grunge" movement that was happening, for he beceme obsessed with those bands at the time. He even admits his heroin use was somewhat inspired by that time, some of the band members weren't exactly on board with this move. So in a way it was the last time the really experimented but it was also a time of them trying to jump onto some coattails and win a much bigger audience.

You need to put this in context...

I wasn't talking about Violator, I was talking about Songs of Faith, there was a deliberate move to more "real" instruments and live sound. David admittingly said it was their attempt to embrace the "grunge" movement that was happening, for he beceme obsessed with those bands at the time. He even admits his heroin use was somewhat inspired by that time, some of the band members weren't exactly on board with this move. So in a way it was the last time the really experimented but it was also a time of them trying to jump onto some coattails and win a much bigger audience.

Dave's deslusions of grandeur I'll give you, for he was all skagged up and strutting around trying to become a Rock God. But I think while he was off in his other world, the rest of the band, if anything, were merely just trying to keep it all together. There really wasn't a "all for one, one for all" attitude. The album was incredibly difficult to make, and while it is a beautiful album, it was the result of a long frustrating process in which no one was communicating and getting their ideas across. It was almost by accident the album sounded that good. And as far as singles go on that record, there's nothing, besides Walking In My Shoes, that really comes close to containing a bonafide radio melody. I Feel You, In Your Room...these are all atmosphere songs.

I know what you're saying about Dave and his rock ambitions. But I don't think the band even thought they had a successful album on their hands. If you've ever watched the DVD that came with the remastered version, you'd get a real good idea of what i'm talking about.

One as a single was actually also for charity: Katrina Benefit (not sure what, if anything, of MJB's album sales went to it, tho)

But I agree, onyourkneesboy exhibits a palpable bias against rnb/hip hop and it's got little, if anything, to do with any real credible critique of the duets. Besides, what constitutes "rapper-like" movements or "drooling", and for the life of me I can't see how Bono appearing with any of them would cause one to feel like squeezing their butt cheeks - well, in any sort of negative way, anyways.. :lol:

We can get it back on track. I don't think anyone responded to what I posted last night:

I've felt for a significant amount of time that if U2 wants to make an album, at this point in time, to top all of their previous albums, that it would have to be an album of slower, more atmospheric songs. I believe that style has produced some of their best, least forced-sounding, most moving songs of the last 10-15 years, some of which were as recent as on NLOTH. Take the following list of songs:

Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad(1997)
North And South Of The River(1997)
The Ground Beneath Her Feet(2000)
Stateless(2000)
Falling At Your Feet(2000)
If You Wear That Velvet Dress(1997)
Fez-Being Born(2009)
White As Snow(2009)
Moment Of Surrender(2009)
Your Blue Room(1995)
Miss Sarajevo(1995)
Always Forever Now(1995)
Slug(1995)

I argue that rock music is something that is perhaps at its best when it is fueled by a younger spirit and a younger soul. But at the same time, songs like the above would be less likely to be written by 20 year olds. I mean, have you listed to Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad recently? I think it's one of the best songs the band has ever written, but I doubt that they could've written something like that when they were 20.

I believe that, in their 50s and beyond, this style is where U2 could make their best work. I love most of the rock songs on NLOTH, but for the most part I still think they're capable of writing and performing music on a higher emotional/spiritual plane, as evidenced by slower songs on the same record(MOS, Fez, WAS, Cedars). That's not any slight on NLOTH's rock songs, btw - I love the title track, Unknown Caller, GOYB, and Breathe. But I think they're capable of better if they go for a certain style and a certain vibe as evidenced by the songs listed above. They've made absolutely incredible rock songs in their career, but...I listened to HMTMKMKM a few times last night, it's one of my favorite rock songs ever, not just U2, but ever, and...I can't really see U2 putting out a rock song as incredible as that again. You might disagree.

Look at Elvis Costello - I don't listen to him much, but in the last ten years, the few times I've seen him performing on TV, it's been slower and/or more experimental stuff. U2 could take that path. (if I'm wrong about Costello, please correct me).

Those songs listed above are great, great stuff.

BTW: I made a thread expressing similar thoughts last year before NLOTH came out: http://www.u2interference.com/forum...-and-lounge-music-in-the-late-90s-192787.html

It's interesting to start having these types of conversations again now that we're a year out from NLOTH's release. Time constantly reshapes things, but it hadn't really occurred to me until just recently to look at NLOTH as a 'past' album/phase of their career. If the album ends up being viewed similarly to Pop from a wide historical lens (which I can see happening), then I can see why all the hardcore Pop lovers get angry about it being seen as a 'failure'. Still, getting perceived 'failures' can have its upsides as well: it pushes the band more than anything else can.

I think you're onto something, namkcuR. Frankly, I think SOA is more or less what you're looking for. It probably doesn't/wouldn't have much lounge flavor, but I think it'd be pretty ethereal and chill and floating in a middle eastern sort of way.

namkcur,

i remember that thread you made. i actually ended up making a playlist on my ipod called "Foray Into Lounge", lol. it's still there too. :D

but yeah, i agree with you, and early on it sounded like SOA was going to be more in that atmospheric style. now with all this "we want a big single" talk, i'm not quite as hopeful for something meditative, unfortunately.

namkcur,

i remember that thread you made. i actually ended up making a playlist on my ipod called "Foray Into Lounge", lol. it's still there too. :D

but yeah, i agree with you, and early on it sounded like SOA was going to be more in that atmospheric style. now with all this "we want a big single" talk, i'm not quite as hopeful for something meditative, unfortunately.

So I take it you enjoyed that playlist? :) I've been listening to these songs again recently and they're still as great as ever.

I don't know what to think about SOA. In the year since NLOTH has been released, we've gotten maybe five lines about it from the band themselves, and none of them were too substantive. I'm hoping for the best, but, I don't know what to expect.

I just don't understand U2's decisions sometimes. Why did TGBHF not make it onto ATYCLB? From what we've heard, U2 seems pretty proud of it and Stateless, so why don't they ever make it onto an album? Why has Mercy never seen the light of day(I have to think there's already a more polished, less demo-y version of it sitting in a vault somewhere, and I have to think it's been there for a while)? Why was Winter kept off NLOTH? I could go on.

I guess it just comes from this mentality from the punk-rock scene that they came out of, where music is about communicating with as many people as possible, and if the whole world doesn't hear it, it's not any good. I think they've had and are having a very hard time letting go of that mindset. There's this almost obsessive focus on "the 45", about striving for that huge single that transcends everything. It gets tiresome to hear sometimes. Most bands are lucky to have that single once in their career, U2 have had it several times(WOWY, One, Beautiful Day, Vertigo), part of me thinks they should just be happy with that and not worry about ditching good songs from albums to make way for perceived-single material.

So I take it you enjoyed that playlist? :) I've been listening to these songs again recently and they're still as great as ever.

I don't know what to think about SOA. In the year since NLOTH has been released, we've gotten maybe five lines about it from the band themselves, and none of them were too substantive. I'm hoping for the best, but, I don't know what to expect.

I just don't understand U2's decisions sometimes. Why did TGBHF not make it onto ATYCLB? From what we've heard, U2 seems pretty proud of it and Stateless, so why don't they ever make it onto an album? Why has Mercy never seen the light of day(I have to think there's already a more polished, less demo-y version of it sitting in a vault somewhere, and I have to think it's been there for a while)? Why was Winter kept off NLOTH? I could go on.

I guess it just comes from this mentality from the punk-rock scene that they came out of, where music is about communicating with as many people as possible, and if the whole world doesn't hear it, it's not any good. I think they've had and are having a very hard time letting go of that mindset. There's this almost obsessive focus on "the 45", about striving for that huge single that transcends everything. It gets tiresome to hear sometimes. Most bands are lucky to have that single once in their career, U2 have had it several times(WOWY, One, Beautiful Day, Vertigo), part of me thinks they should just be happy with that and not worry about ditching good songs from albums to make way for perceived-single material.

:up:

definitely enjoy the playlist, those are some of my favorite songs from U2.

yeah, i also think the band recently has a problem with order. i think all three albums from the 2000's were victimized by poor tracklist decisions, including the ones you pointed out.

edit. i also added a couple other songs to your playlist:

- Smile
- One Step Closer
- Beach Sequence

definitely enjoy the playlist, those are some of my favorite songs from U2.

yeah, i also think the band recently has a problem with order. i think all three albums from the 2000's were victimized by poor tracklist decisions, including the ones you pointed out.

edit. i also added a couple other songs to your playlist:

- Smile
- One Step Closer
- Beach Sequence

Good choices. I like Smile, though it always sounded like a fragment of a song to me, like something more could be built around it. One Step Closer is one of the better tracks on HTDAAB, and it's always the closer for that album on my alternate running orders. Is Beach Sequence the one with the "time floats on by"(or something like that) line? If so, great choice. Passengers has so much gorgeous material on it.

I always wished they would own Passengers more. Playing YBR on the tour was tremendous for me. I wanted it more than anything else when I saw them in NY, so I was thrilled to get it. I kind of think the remasters of the 90s albums are going to be even significantly more interesting than the 80s remasters, just to see how they approach Zooropa and Pop(and Passengers if they do it), given their perceived attitude towards those records in recent years.

Great points. First off, U2 always have a questionable decision or two involving their album tracklists. I think it has been the most noticeable this decade though. Part of this is due to the amount of unreleased material. If you were to make an album out of the best eleven or twelve non-album tracks this decade, in a finished version, it could rival any this decade. I wish that the band could judge their material better at times. That sounds terribly arrogant but looking at a list of non-album and unreleased tracks how many people would disagree?

Second, Bono's historical views of music is at times very...unique, to put it lightly. Was punk really about communicating to as many people as possible? If anything it was confronting and pushing away many people. Do you think punk-era Clash, Patti Smith, Sex Pistols and so on would like today's U2? I don't. I cringe every time that Bono brings up punk or "the 45".

Second, Bono's historical views of music is at times very...unique, to put it lightly. Was punk really about communicating to as many people as possible? If anything it was confronting and pushing away many people. Do you think punk-era Clash, Patti Smith, Sex Pistols and so on would like today's U2? I don't. I cringe every time that Bono brings up punk or "the 45".

Yes, but in Bono's defense, I will say that U2 came out of a couple different traditions. Punk for certain, but also the universal rock and roll language spoken by the Beatles, The Who and The Stones. I think they looked most to the Who at first as they were classic rock, but also considered to be some of the forerunners to punk rock(themes of youth rebellion, distrust of establishment, etc).

Carter Alan in Boston described U2 when he first played them as a cross between the Stones and The Ramones.

U2 cite The Clash and Patti Smith as major influences, and Patti Smith still performs with them/is a close friend today. Bono likes his "People got the power" and "rock and roll ******" snippets as well. Same with the Clash's rock the casbah and London Calling. They still have some punk credibility, Saints Are Coming with Green Day, etc. In my opinion, they should play up this side of themselves more as it highlights the dramatic differences in how they evolved as compared to say, Coldplay. We all know how the U2 sound evolved into melodies and atmospheres and sonic exploration, but the Boy-October-War sound is something you would never hear out of all the bands that people today think are just like them.

The sound may have been more punk initially, but U2 always from the beginning wanted to hit it big and stay there.

I like this thread alot, but as is the case all the time, we over analyze big time. Just the posts here suggest that if you took a poll, 95% of us would say they either hit the nail on the head or got it mostly right with NLOTH. Ok, so some of us don't like SUC or Crazy, but 9 out of 11 is not bad to have a solid consensus on, more or less! I think all of us hardcore fans could make a swap or 2 on every album.

I don't think U2 needs to reinvent the wheel or change their goals in the least bit. Maybe, a big maybe, is they need to tone down the attempts at being cool, but where has it been said they are trying to hard to be "cool" except for on here? I still think the biggest problem with NLOTH commercially was the choice of GOYB. A properly promoted NLOTH or Breathe could have done them wonders. GOYB works brilliantly as a fun song that is neither a single nor an album staple. Think of it at the same level as "Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World" : While MOS, NLOTH, Magnificent and Breathe do the upfront talking and F-BB, Was, UC and Cedars provide the intrigue, Boots serves as the cool song in the middle, just like TTTYARTW does to Wild Horses, LIB, So Cruel, Until the end, etc.

I only buy the "fuck the mainstream, it is tied indelibly to Lady Gaga, Kelly Clarkson and Rihanna" argument to a certain extent. Did people not hear Kings of Leon and The Killers getting massive airplay with Sex on Fire, Use Somebody and Human in 2008-09? Goes to show, real music can catch on and make a break through. Hell, this would not make me very popular here, but I think that Taylor Swift's success this year shows as much. Not my kind of music, but she is an incredibly talented songwriter with an excellent voice who is capable at an extremely young age of making a popular, mass appeal album that still retains artistic integrity. It is harder for U2 to do well in this climate, anyone would grant that, and given their age, it is not automatic anymore that radio will just play them, but the right choice of a song and promotion could have gone a long way.

I also still think Bono's comments regarding royalties affected NLOTH airplay as well. Not just BD and Vertigo, Walk On, Elevation, COBL, ABOY, even Saints and Window got some good airplay this decade mostly based on the fact that it was U2. Age is a factor, but its not as if U2 has been written off in the recent past because of it, they were still given plenty of time(airplay) to make their case w/new material as recently as 2006/7.

What convinces me of this is my hometown stations in Boston, the mecca of U2 airplay in America. You will get plenty of U2, but ever since Bono spoke out, it seems you will only get Still Haven't Found, MW and BD and nothing more. Streets is making a slight comeback, it seems. It is to the point that I am sick of hearing MW, a song I love, on the radio. The alternative stations even will play these 3 songs- not NLOTH, Magnificent or Breathe, even though they would be right up their alley. Nor do they play SBS or Gloria or IWF or Bad or OTH on a regular basis like they always did. It seems the radio is working a conspiracy to only play the U2 hits that play most to their stereotype among idiots as a band whose only goal is to write the same old mass appeal hit every time.

It is easy for the haters and the casual radio listener looking for someone new to get a chance to get disgusted and turn the dial as they say to themselves: "Great, lets hear how U2 Still Hasn't Found That Mysterious Beautiful Day." A lot of people for some reason or another just want U2 to go away, and the radio is helping feed their sentiments.

Well, they didn't write the lyric and it was never meant to be on a U2 album...:shrug:

but it should have been on the album, that's what he's saying. some of U2's tracklisting decisions in the 2000's have been awful, and this is one of them.

but it should have been on the album,
I disagree, it would have been the first time U2 ever put a studio track on an album that they didn't fully write. The purist in me is glad they didn't.

that's what he's saying. some of U2's tracklisting decisions in the 2000's have been awful, and this is one of them.

This I can agree with, although we have more access to the songs that didn't make it compared to the 80's and 90's so who knows there could have been some big mistakes in the past... For example 'Hold Me...' should have been on an album.

This I can agree with, although we have more access to the songs that didn't make it compared to the 80's and 90's so who knows there could have been some big mistakes in the past... For example 'Hold Me...' should have been on an album.

absolutely. that's why i cringed when U2 released the "Itunes Rare and Unreleased" in 2004. even though i prefer "Vertigo" over "Native Son", i think the fact that everyone heard the more raw alternative really damaged "Vertigo"....at least among the diehards. personally, i prefer the alternate "ABOY" over the album version. i think the psychological affects of having a alternate and raw version of songs is very underrated.

Stateless and Ground beneath her feet were written during ATYCLB sessions. Bono lobbied for the two to be on the album but the rest of the band didn't agree. I don't see those two more atmospheric songs fitting on the pop sounds of All that.

Mercy would also not fit on the "singles" record like Bomb.

I think Three sunrises/Love comes tumbling being left off UF and that Batman song not making a U2 album were the two big mistakes in tracklistings.

As a general comment regarding the nature of this thread: I think it's hard to 'over-analyze' anything in a forum designed to analyze U2. The main reason I come here during 'down time' for U2 (like now) is to read/get involved in discussions that are overly-analytical. The best posts are the ones that are deep and critical and thoughtful. If I could change one thing about this forum, it'd be to eliminate the angry, reactionary posts that break up thoughtful, passionate, and honest discussions about the band. There's a big difference between trolling and thoughtful criticism, but you'd never know it seeing some of the responses to threads like these.

On a different note, was there ever any more information on Bono's radio royalty comments and how they may have impacted NLOTH's radio play? There were a couple articles that came out at the time Magnificent was released that basically stated that the song was not going to get play from most radio stations because of Bono's comments/advocacy. I haven't heard any more about this, but it could go a long way toward explaining Magnificent's failure as a single (and Crazy Tonight subsequently).

As a general comment regarding the nature of this thread: I think it's hard to 'over-analyze' anything in a forum designed to analyze U2. The main reason I come here during 'down time' for U2 (like now) is to read/get involved in discussions that are overly-analytical. The best posts are the ones that are deep and critical and thoughtful. If I could change one thing about this forum, it'd be to eliminate the angry, reactionary posts that break up thoughtful, passionate, and honest discussions about the band. There's a big difference between trolling and thoughtful criticism, but you'd never know it seeing some of the responses to threads like these.

Back
Top Bottom