U2's New Single: 'Blow Your House Down'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Bono had previously mentioned that he was pushing to get "Even Better Than The Real Thing (Fish Out Of Water Remix)" released as the single supporting Achtung Baby."

Thank god saner heads prevailed.

I actually would have loved Fish Out of Water Remix as a single. I think it gives the song a modern feel and gives it propulsion that the original version doesn't have. Love both, but I think the remix is great. Blow Your House Down sounds like a throwaway B-side to me.

Sounds to me like a good old 'radio single'. That concept's been around for years to promote something without necessarily releasing it as a proper, purchasable single. To give one example from U2's past, 'The Ground Beneath Her Feet' was also released as a radio single, but never as a physical single, when the MDH Soundtrack came out back in spring 2000. I can remember hearing it on radio a few times around that time but nothing that made a big dent in the public consciousness. And there have been numerous other radio promo singles - 'Lemon' too got a radio edit without a CD single release, as far as I can remember.

So nothing to get too excited about, and nothing to get too disappointed about when nothing much happens and people here begin to say 'why don't they promote this properly', etc, etc, etc. (Not that that will stop Interference's usual hyper reaction...)

Until the End of the World was a radio single..... And I have a copy! :)

I actually would have loved Fish Out of Water Remix as a single. I think it gives the song a modern feel and gives it propulsion that the original version doesn't have. Love both, but I think the remix is great. Blow Your House Down sounds like a throwaway B-side to me.

I think it makes sense to put out a previously unreleased song as a single instead of a remix of a song people already know. The single is meant to get people to buy the AB reissue. I think an actual 'new' song will be more persuasive than a remixed oldie.

That being said, I do agree with your assessment of BYHD. They were right, back in '91, not to include it on the album.

It speaks volumes though considering a song like that could very well be a mid-bottom tier song on a lot of good albums.

It's really not that bad.

Blow Your House Down would have fit on any of their post-Achtung Baby albums. There's no reason they shouldn't release it as a single now. it's a great tune, a great rocker, and would be great to hear on the radio.

All of the Achtung Baby material could have easily been reformed into another album.

I mean, that is ignoring the fact that a lot of the material would sound the game. But I'm talking about stuff like 'Lady with the Spinning Head' and 'Where Did it All Go Wrong' all being absolute quality material and in no means being B-siders except for the fact that Achtung Baby is.. well... Achtung Baby.

just listening to a few excerpts on the itunes store - wow, have to say i really love this Salome - it's gorgeous! the only version i'd heard up til now was the one on the 1990-2000 B-sides...

For what it's worth, "Heaven and Hell" is my favorite of the new stuff :drool:

But if it's between the "Even Better..." remix and BYHD... I think I'm gonna side w/ Bono on this one :reject:

I would still love to hear the '87 version of "Blow Your House Down". It sounds more focused lyrically, and more vital. (At least the snippets we hear on the beach clips sound that way.) By 1990 they were already overworking it -- trying to chase magic that wasn't there anymore. Now it sounds neutered -- overstuffed with too many words.

For what it's worth, "Heaven and Hell" is my favorite of the new stuff :drool:

But if it's between the "Even Better..." remix and BYHD... I think I'm gonna side w/ Bono on this one :reject:

Same here. Heaven And Hell is just incredible. I love it. And Edge's solo goes on my list of "Most Beautiful U2 Solos" Right in between All I Want Is You and With or Without You :love:

Blow Your House Down would have fit on any of their post-Achtung Baby albums.

I disagree. Hearing BYHD, I finally got a glimpse of what the band are always talking about when they say they've made a song but it didn't have that thing, that magic that makes it a good song. Something is missing in BYHD and in my opinion they were 100% right in not putting it on the album.

Except that noone would make it thru the first minute. Its pretty bad.

agreed. I still can't come to terms with the fact that (what I'm assuming were) a GROUP of people were sat in a studio listening to the finished mix before sending it off to be mastered, heard that slide solo go horribly out of time and didn't think "shit, better fix that." :doh::doh:

Incorrect.

Good to know.

One was a great remix, and the live performances based off it were some of the best live openers of U2's career. That's a huge potential audience for this single right there - I'm sure the fanatics weren't the only ones hoping the 360 version of EBTTRT had a studio cut/single release. At the least it had a shot at being a good club single.

The other is nothing more than a decent B-side. Better than the others, certainly more finished, but nothing single worthy (and this from someone who likes Blow your house down). It went straight to "classic rock" stations.

Thats fine but the first one sounds nothing like it did live it sounds horribly botched. I dont care what the potential audience is, if you cant hear how bad and nowhere near how it sounded night in night out the remix is, you seriously need a hearing test.

Club play?? Yah right..no DJ is gonna play that itll make him look like hes fucking up trying to remix one of U2s best songs.

If they want to release an Even Better single, hands down the one on the covers CD is the best one and would fit the club audience perfectly.

I'm torn about this. On one hand, I think that the new remix of EBTTRT is epic (with the exception of the intro, but that's bugging me less and less). And it also fits 2011 very well. But both the song and the Perfecto remix were already released as singles. Blow Your House Down isn't bad, but it's just kinda... meh. It reminds me of something from the Bomb era. But it is new material.

Yeah, I should qualify what I mean...I loved the 360 version (although I wish Edge did more of the album style riffs during the song..)

The remix as place on this album, however, just sounds all wrong. Poorly executed remix.

Yeah, I should qualify what I mean...I loved the 360 version (although I wish Edge did more of the album style riffs during the song..)

The remix as place on this album, however, just sounds all wrong. Poorly executed remix.

Makes me wonder why they didn't fix it for the Reissue. :huh: It can't have been hard to do, so why not fix it?

Galeongirl said:
Makes me wonder why they didn't fix it for the Reissue. :huh: It can't have been hard to do, so why not fix it?

I think thats the most frustrating part for me. Its pretty clear thats not the way it was done (ever?) at any live show, and given that the vocals are studio and other parts spliced in, its a mixture of a number of different sources. If youve ever done this its quite simple to rearrange each source so that things match up. If you dont, its either because you didnt know what you are doing, or you deliberatey wanted it to sound a little off. I cannot believe the persons involved didnt know what they were doing, so that leaves deliberate intent. Which is befuddling because it just does not sound good at all. And then the hard cut..its just so hack job..crazy

Back
Top Bottom