U2's Glastonbury gig targeted by tax protesters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know what they should do? Get those ZooTV cannons there, and when the protest kicks off, fire those up and blast all of that ZooTV cash with Bono's face on it off over the crowd. Brilliant. Perfect response.

goddamn stupid uneducated indie scene kids with their ridiculous hatred of U2 and Bono trying to ruin the fun for everyone :angry:. I honestly dont know if Bono personally had any role in the decision to move their base, I give most of the credit to other management entities- but anything to cause a fuss with these haters.

ugh... so frusturating

You know what they should do? Get those ZooTV cannons there, and when the protest kicks off, fire those up and blast all of that ZooTV cash with Bono's face on it off over the crowd. Brilliant. Perfect response.

excellent.jpg

:lol::up::love::lmao:

:lol::lmao:

I imagine my cousins friends would be the sort to protest at this sort of thing. ( Knowing the sort of things they have done in past. :lol::reject: ) I sent her a message to find out if she knows what is going on.

Not sure if a few idiots who break off from protest and will try and cause trouble ( I know Guardian article says it will not disturb set but you never know with some eejits. ) If anybody tried this near me and Domo i pity them. :lol:

Do not try come between U2 fan and front rail. :wink:

Bono to protesters:
why%2Byou%2Bmad%2Bbro.jpg

:angry: Wankers. They'd better not be protesting anywhere near me that's all i can say.

Sorry for the double post, but it appears the story has now received a lot of exposure across the web. I'm fairly sure if the band/management haven't picked up on it yet they soon will do. It'd be interesting to note their reaction/thoughts to it all. We all know when Bono is pissed off he has the capability of delivering an even greater performance (see Rattle & Hum SBS, Popmart Leeds).

They have said that they won’t do anything to disrupt the set for either the band or crowd. They surely would know that to actually disrupt either would very much work against them. They just want to make a highly visual public statement, which will hopefully (for them) become a wider talking point afterwards. It will probably mostly just affect the BBC's use of crowd-wide shots, and that's it.

I do get the basic argument “Here’s a guy telling us how our taxes should be spent, but he’s personally using loopholes to limit how much he pays” and I do think that U2 have not been very good in their reaction to it. It’s been rattling around for years, and only gathering steam in that time.

Their problem is obviously that there’s not really much they can do to change this opinion. Whenever the super wealthy come out complaining about taxation, even if they are subject to some pretty silly rules, they always come off looking like complete twats. And Bono could come out and say, Look, I give *this* much time, put in *this* much effort, I have over time personally given $X amount, and bankrolled my own campaigns to $X, with *these* very real results, and as a band we’ve given *this* much support to *this* many groups in *these* ways and have achieved *these* things as a result, and have you ever even listened to a U2 song or been to a U2 concert? And what would the reaction be? What a fucking WANKER! Who publicises that kind of thing?

So they’re left with simply being mega wealthy individuals who DO play the global tax game to their advantage as best they can, with the added conundrum of having a frontman who DOES lecture others on how they should spend the tax they earn. There’s no escaping that or turning opinion on it around. And if they didn’t see it coming, they’re stupid.

I think the only thing they can do to move this one on is get out there very publicly and at least try and make some sort of argument better than the “We already pay a lot of tax and besides its private” line they use now, and just take the very public pie in the face they no doubt will get in return. Just put themselves right in the firing line, take the shots, and hopefully a bit of respect for at least getting up there and doing that will help it all move on.

I imagine my cousins friends would be the sort to protest at this sort of thing. ( Knowing the sort of things they have done in past. :lol::reject: ) I sent her a message to find out if she knows what is going on.

Not sure if a few idiots who break off from protest and will try and cause trouble ( I know Guardian article says it will not disturb set but you never know with some eejits. ) If anybody tried this near me and Domo i pity them. :lol:

Do not try come between U2 fan and front rail. :wink:

:lol: Memories, Makes me think of that big Walonian I bitched out of the pit in Frankfurt, for for GG. All the U2 fans I didn't even know helped us. :hifive: Where an army, throw at us what you want, we throw it back and bitch untill yo ready to leave. My pleasure.

I should bring my dutch flag and write something like,
All U2's money are belong to us!
( And we don't care )

Really , anyone who is RICH and SMART, comes to Holland .
Why do you think I live here, I want a rich hubby later ;)
They can protest all they wan't. Bono is
A : Going to ignore them, or B : going to easilly talk his way out of this (even if its just for one day)
No matter what they will do, those protesters will be the one's looking like wankers in the end becuase they wont affect Bono or U2.

The irony here is kinda delicious. U2 are generally known as being a protest band (especially when they play live), and now a section of the audience will be protesting against THEM. At the very least it will be amusing. I'm 100% for free speech, so even if I don't necessarily agree with them, I don't begrudge them for doing it.

I do get the basic argument “Here’s a guy telling us how our taxes should be spent, but he’s personally using loopholes to limit how much he pays” and I do think that U2 have not been very good in their reaction to it. It’s been rattling around for years, and only gathering steam in that time.

Their problem is obviously that there’s not really much they can do to change this opinion. Whenever the super wealthy come out complaining about taxation, even if they are subject to some pretty silly rules, they always come off looking like complete twats. And Bono could come out and say, Look, I give *this* much time, put in *this* much effort, I have over time personally given $X amount, and bankrolled my own campaigns to $X, with *these* very real results, and as a band we’ve given *this* much support to *this* many groups in *these* ways and have achieved *these* things as a result, and have you ever even listened to a U2 song or been to a U2 concert? And what would the reaction be? What a fucking WANKER! Who publicises that kind of thing?

So they’re left with simply being mega wealthy individuals who DO play the global tax game to their advantage as best they can, with the added conundrum of having a frontman who DOES lecture others on how they should spend the tax they earn. There’s no escaping that or turning opinion on it around. And if they didn’t see it coming, they’re stupid.

I think the only thing they can do to move this one on is get out there very publicly and at least try and make some sort of argument better than the “We already pay a lot of tax and besides its private” line they use now, and just take the very public pie in the face they no doubt will get in return. Just put themselves right in the firing line, take the shots, and hopefully a bit of respect for at least getting up there and doing that will help it all move on.

:applaud: POST OF THE YEAR on this issue. People who are sticking their heads in the sand and saying 'fukk da haterz' are just as ridiculous as the people saying "Bono is a tax cheaterrr!11!"

In my opinion Bono should have publicly made a statement separating his activism from the band's decision. He should have stated that he was against the move but that at the end of the day, his is only one opinion within the band and democracy ruled. That would have been the smartest move in my eyes, for him to acknowledge the hypocrisy of the situation and state his disapproval with it.

Larry didn't feel he had to toe the 'party line' when disapproving of Bono meeting with Blair/Bush, so I don't see what would have been so bad for Bono to do the same on this issue.

haha yeah - i hope they just get stopped by a bunch of irate U2 fans.
I hope they find themselves near any of the more 'protective' fans ;)

What would you protect them for? A banner, two flags and some fake money ?
The whole idea is like a bad comedy scene. This is going to be fun for sure.
If this goes trough, the setlist party will be legend, def. taking my phone out there.:lol:

In my opinion Bono should have publicly made a statement separating his activism from the band's decision. He should have stated that he was against the move but that at the end of the day, his is only one opinion within the band and democracy ruled. That would have been the smartest move in my eyes, for him to acknowledge the hypocrisy of the situation and state his disapproval with it.

Larry didn't feel he had to toe the 'party line' when disapproving of Bono meeting with Blair/Bush, so I don't see what would have been so bad for Bono to do the same on this issue.

Bono: "Well, you see, it wasn't anything to do with ME. Edge, Larry and Adam bullied me into it. I was against the idea from the start. But we are a democracy so I had to go along with them. Majority rules and all that. So, yeah, blame them. Nothing to do with me. At all. OK I gotta go now. Byeee!"

I don't think U2 should really have to answer for anybody regarding this issue. Bono's the one spouting off and he should be able to say whatever he wants - and these people protesting have every right to be upset, but not towards U2.

there is no issue
the global company U2 have to pay global taxes
and they do

Bono advocates that a fair percentage of the money governments have to spend is spent on helping third world countries

I don't get the implied relation between this

if they want to talk tax avoidance the protestors can send their personal administration + tax returns to me and I will show some true tax avoidance

bunch of losers

They have said that they won’t do anything to disrupt the set for either the band or crowd. They surely would know that to actually disrupt either would very much work against them. They just want to make a highly visual public statement, which will hopefully (for them) become a wider talking point afterwards. It will probably mostly just affect the BBC's use of crowd-wide shots, and that's it.

B-I-N-G-OOOOOOOOOOOOOO!:applaud:

Back
Top Bottom