U23D to rerelease in celebration of new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why not just put it out on DVD/Blue Ray?! I only got to see it once. :(

Because the hardware and technology to properly show it on a typical consumer home theater/tv setup isn't available yet. Sure, there *are* a few 3D movies available on home video, including a few that were also shown on IMAX screens such as (the otherwise terrible) "Journey To The Center Of The Earth" but to watch it at home, you have to use those primitive, cheap red/green cardboard glasses and the image is color saturated red and green to get the 3D effect and looks pretty awful compared to what you may have seen in a 3D-friendly theater using those dark polarized glasses.

Basically, to get a decent 3D viewing experience at home, new Plasma tvs need to be capable of showing double the quality video they currently do as well as the (presumably) blu-ray discs and player(s) would likely utilize a new codec to stream the audio/3D video. And it still won't be perfect as anyone who's sat through an IMAX 3D movie can attest.

It *is* possible for U2 to simply release a standard 2D dvd/blu-ray release of the film at any time but from all accounts, they want to use it as a showcase for the technology when it eventually becomes home consumer-friendly.

T.B.

Because the hardware and technology to properly show it on a typical consumer home theater/tv setup isn't available yet. Sure, there *are* a few 3D movies available on home video, including a few that were also shown on IMAX screens such as (the otherwise terrible) "Journey To The Center Of The Earth" but to watch it at home, you have to use those primitive, cheap red/green cardboard glasses and the image is color saturated red and green to get the 3D effect and looks pretty awful compared to what you may have seen in a 3D-friendly theater using those dark polarized glasses.

Basically, to get a decent 3D viewing experience at home, new Plasma tvs need to be capable of showing double the quality video they currently do as well as the (presumably) blu-ray discs and player(s) would likely utilize a new codec to stream the audio/3D video. And it still won't be perfect as anyone who's sat through an IMAX 3D movie can attest.

It *is* possible for U2 to simply release a standard 2D dvd/blu-ray release of the film at any time but from all accounts, they want to use it as a showcase for the technology when it eventually becomes home consumer-friendly.

T.B.

Thank you so much for the info!

According to imax.com, U23D is playing in Tallahassee (FL), Raleigh (NC), Austin (TX) and DC.

In Fort Lauderdale, FL at the AutoNation Imax Theater U2 3D will return from March 6-21, but will only screen on Friday & Saturday nights.

So... March 6, 7, 13, 14, 20, and 21. I'll definitely be there one of those nights. Great film.
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]

Hope they re-release this in more than four or five theaters in the nation.

I never got to see U23D because apparently Alberta, Canada sucks and didn't show the movie in either Calagry or Edmonton. I can see it not playing in Red Deer but to not show in either Edmonton or Calgary was a fucking joke. I don't see it being any different this time. so I'm not getting my hopes up of ever being able to see this. I wonder if U2 will also skip Alberta entirely again on the next tour like they did on the Vertgio tour.:angry:

Ummm...It was playing in Edmonton for almost a month at South Edmonton Common. I drove up 5 times and saw it a total of 12 times.

Sorry you missed it!

Back
Top Bottom