U2 Welcome Basket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosebud

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
in the enchanted forest of dreams and wonderment..
So I have this friend...

She's a dear friend -- in fact, dear enough to willingly brave GA in October with me, though she knows next to nothing about U2. However, I don't think she fully realizes what she's getting herself into, and so, I'm trying to give her a sort of crash U2-education, a "welcome basket" to the community, if you will. Clearly, fandom gives you enormous fortitude, which she will need.

In short, she needs to become a fan, and quick, lest she ends up hating me for making her do this.

So here's where you all come in. I need all of your brilliant advice for what I should be showing/giving her to bring her over to the dark side. This could be anything and everything from special performances, videos, interviews, inside jokes, stories, etc etc.

Post the actual thing here, or just give us a tip.

Thanks everyone! All for the Cause!

First of all, Go Home. That should make her interested at least I hope.

^I thought you were talkin' to me. :wink:

But yes, that is definitely on my list. :up:

:lol::lol:
Sorry, I should've said Go Home DVD. :wink:

:up: Well, it's what got me into U2. Then I listened to HTDAAB and R&H and then TBO 90-00 & B-Sides. Can't remember the order of the rest...

"Special performances, videos?"

This is probably the video that for me, even as a non-American U2 fan, in the best way possible manages to manifest the true greatness of this band right now:
YouTube - U2 Super Bowl halftime show 2002 - 9/11 Tribute

It's remarkable how touching it is to see Bono standing in the middle of an audience, as well as a mourning nation, shouting out "Love...love,love,love" to underline what is the most important thing of all after what they all have gone through the last couple of month. Some may still be in grief. I don't mean to offend anyone, please understand that and of course I can never understand exactly what it must've been like to lose someone in a tragic event like 9/11. I was at Ground Zero last year and I felt very emotional.

First there is darkness, then the backdrop falls down and ultimately the uplifting and blinding lights of joy and hope. At the center of all this stands an extra-ordinary Irishman in the middle of an ecstatic crowd on this heartshaped-stage with his hands shaped as another heart.
what can I say - I :heart: U2

Then show your friend the Slane performance, where the situation is reversed for Bono yet it is still powerful and uplifting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDkBzkA9L4s

If your friend doesn't "get into it" after this treatment, I don't know what will.

0849901928.jpg

Things I feel that your non-fan friend should know before attending a live show: she should be notified that a) Bono is a complete dork - and we love him all the more for it; b) he will likely appear to be in pain or in the midst of a severe muscle cramp at many times while on stage - she should not become alarmed, these are just his awful attempts at dancing (see point (a), above); and finally c) yes, we think it's perfectly normal to arrive at a venue 10hrs prior to the show just to sit in line with other fans, comparing experiences, discussing recent bootlegs, and offering each other our personal best band sighting & autograph collecting techniques. :lol:

And if your friend is anything like Mr. Blu was, she might need to be prepared to become a serious U2 fan after experiencing them live. :love: :up:

this may be too obvious, but imo just have her listen to some of the albums. Knowing the songs will make the experience more enjoyable, I think, and the music alone should be enough to convert her :D

or just make her watch the ZooTV DVD.

and yes, don't let her come to Interference! :lol:

i find that for newbies to more appreciate the performances, it's good to introduce them to the music on CDs beforehand. while my n00bfriend enjoyed ZooTV, she really only appreciated the visual performance of it, and couldn't really get a grasp of the lyrics.

yeah, make sure she has NLOTH and U218 or something, so she'll know most of the songs they play. When I see bands I do enjoy experiencing songs I don't know, but I'm really there to hear the ones I do know.

I need to do this for a friend who will possibly be coming with me to Boston 1. She does not like them so if I can't convert her by then, she certainly is not going. She'll dampen it, I think. But if I can convert her, then I'll be all set and she can have fun at the gig!! :)

Things I feel that your non-fan friend should know before attending a live show: she should be notified that a) Bono is a complete dork - and we love him all the more for it; b) he will likely appear to be in pain or in the midst of a severe muscle cramp at many times while on stage - she should not become alarmed, these are just his awful attempts at dancing (see point (a), above); and finally c) yes, we think it's perfectly normal to arrive at a venue 10hrs prior to the show just to sit in line with other fans, comparing experiences, discussing recent bootlegs, and offering each other our personal best band sighting & autograph collecting techniques. :lol:

And if your friend is anything like Mr. Blu was, she might need to be prepared to become a serious U2 fan after experiencing them live. :love: :up:

F-ing Brilliant!:up::up::up:

Also...put in some yummy Bono chocolete bars....

and this picture:

U2byU2Bono.jpg

I'll show myself back to PLEBA

Back
Top Bottom